F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end wobble noise over small bumps at low speeds
Studio RSR

09-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Front end wobble noise over small bumps at low speeds

Hoping that someone can help me pinpoint this issue. When going over bumps or road imperfections at low speeds, I get a wobbling noise coming from the front end of the car. It sounds like a blown strut, but it isn't....It just sounds like it. It happens when going straight over a crack in the road that touches both tires at the same time. If I drive over a man-hole cover with just one tire, it doesn't make the noise. It doesn't do it when turning, or at high speeds.

I put the car on ramps, removed the belly pan, and looked for things out of the ordinary. I found nothing, no leaky anything, no loose anything, nothing. I checked things like the charge-pipe, the intercooler, the waste-gate, the turbo, etc... Common issues like the sway bar links, or tie-rod ends seemed fine... nothing was easily moved by hand. I even checked the motor on the steering rack which has been known to have sheared bolts connecting the motor to the rack.

I've searched to find information about this, or similar cases. Ultimately, I learned that the rack and pinion could cause the noise. I've read about the rack being replaced and the issue leaving and eventually returning. I've read about the rack being replaced and the issue never retuning. I've read about the rack being replaced and it not fixing the issue.... I've noticed zero issues with steering, but since it only makes the noise when it tracks straight, it does point to this part.

I have CPO coverage until 2020, but don't want to pay $150 for them to tell me it's normal. I'd like to find the issue before going to the dealership so I can tell them to look at and replace xxxx part. Drivability isn't affected, it's just an annoying noise.

I have the adaptive suspension.

Anyone have/had this issue that they were able to fix?
      11-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Anyone have experience with this? Now that it's colder, the wobble became more frequent. It's driving me crazy.
      11-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I have an m235 and have been meaning to post about issues that seem similar to yours. When on bumpy/uneven roads at low speeds I get a rumbling noise almost resembling a bad wheel bearing(blown strut noise is also a good comparison), but the car feels completely fine. I have only just noticed this noise so I have not played around underneath my car like you have, but now that I think about it, I notice it the most when driving straight. I'm also in the same boat as my regular warranty just ended and I'm now under CPO. My car only has 25k miles, any failed suspension parts would be odd, especially considering it feels just like normal. Would also love to know if someone has gone through the same thing and resolved this noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Are you Xdrive? I'm Xdrive and when I hit small bumps it sounds the same... I figured it was the CV joints... to makes sure I took it in and had them check the suspension and everything was okay...

Last edited by FastF30; 11-29-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I have been noticing a slight wobbling shimmy sensation over certain surfaces at low speed but not a noise .... I'm in the midst of doing sway bar end links / check the wheel balance / alignment / re-torque everything to see if that helps.

As far as a noise goes it could be the strut top mount .. those are junk. And yes I've read the steering rack as well. Could be endlinks / CA bushings.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Please watch this video:

See if you can replicate the noise by turning the steering wheel while the car is off.

I been dealing with what I believe is this exact issue for over a year. Initial reco from the dealer was to replace both front EDC dampers for $3K 😳

Car is going back in a year later (on Mon) to revisit to look at the EPS based on my research.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      11-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Please watch this video:

See if you can replicate the noise by turning the steering wheel while the car is off.

I been dealing with what I believe is this exact issue for over a year. Initial reco from the dealer was to replace both front EDC dampers for $3K 😳

Car is going back in a year later (on Mon) to revisit to look at the EPS based on my research.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had watched this and actually called my dealer today to get info on it. As usual, they knew nothing about the kit and said it could only be ordered and shipped from Germany.

I've spent hours researching this and have found a lot of info on it. From what I've read, it's the steering rack, but a replacement might not fix it. If it does, it might even come back down the road... people are being told to live with it but it really bothers me. It just sounds cheap and shitty.

The one that mentioned that it sounds like a rumble hit it right on the nail. At high speeds, I never hear it.
      11-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Are you Xdrive? I'm Xdrive and when I hit small bumps it sounds the same... I figured it was the CV joints... to makes sure I took it in and had them check the suspension and everything was okay...
I am X-Drive!
      11-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Please watch this video:

Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had watched this and actually called my dealer today to get info on it. As usual, they knew nothing about the kit and said it could only be ordered and shipped from Germany.

I've spent hours researching this and have found a lot of info on it. From what I've read, it's the steering rack, but a replacement might not fix it. If it does, it might even come back down the road... people are being told to live with it but it really bothers me. It just sounds cheap and shitty.

The one that mentioned that it sounds like a rumble hit it right on the nail. At high speeds, I never hear it.
Do you experience the clunking noise when moving the steering wheel when the engine if off (as shown in the video)? My car definitely does.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #10
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Yes. I verified today that it makes that noise. I've read reports of people stating that they were told that all of them do it. One even said that his SA brought him to brand new cars and they did it too...
      11-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
I have an m235 and have been meaning to post about issues that seem similar to yours. When on bumpy/uneven roads at low speeds I get a rumbling noise almost resembling a bad wheel bearing(blown strut noise is also a good comparison), but the car feels completely fine.
I have this in the 2017 I just got. I had this in my 2013. There wasn't anything wrong other than the noise. Blown strut or upper mount bearing is the perfect "description". Happens on quick bumps, expansion joints. I'm pretty sure it's the runflats (and maybe overall design) as I did have them check out the 2013 pretty extensively. Play with tire pressure a little if you have the time. If I increased it a bit, the sound changed. I haven't played with pressures on the new one yet, but same wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
I am X-Drive!
Strut mounts or the nut that holds the struts?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
I have an m235 and have been meaning to post about issues that seem similar to yours. When on bumpy/uneven roads at low speeds I get a rumbling noise almost resembling a bad wheel bearing(blown strut noise is also a good comparison), but the car feels completely fine.
I have this in the 2017 I just got. I had this in my 2013. There wasn't anything wrong other than the noise. Blown strut or upper mount bearing is the perfect "description". Happens on quick bumps, expansion joints. I'm pretty sure it's the runflats (and maybe overall design) as I did have them check out the 2013 pretty extensively. Play with tire pressure a little if you have the time. If I increased it a bit, the sound changed. I haven't played with pressures on the new one yet, but same wheels and tires.
Yea I don't think it's anything serious as I don't feel it at all, I have non RFT's and have messed around with the tire pressures and didn't change a thing unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I tried the steering wheel clunk when stationary on my 335d and f15 x5 both have it so its probably normal
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #15
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I tried the steering wheel clunk when stationary on my 335d and f15 x5 both have it so its probably normal
Thanks! I guess that's not linked with the issue.
      12-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #16
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I guess that's not linked with the issue.
Mine has the clunk as well.... so I sent the video to my service advisor and he said bring it in and I'll get you a loaner... So we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
cDu8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I notice I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the front left of the car. I can hear it loudly if I go over a speed bump with just the left tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #18
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I have a low speed clunk that disappears at speed. Had the drivers side shocks replaced but sound persists. Going back in on fri and will update you all after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I have a low speed clunk that disappears at speed. Had the drivers side shocks replaced but sound persists. Going back in on fri and will update you all after that.
Thanks! Have them check the rack.
      12-04-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Oddly enough the noise is more prevalent when its cold, probably why I am just now noticing it since it takes a while for winter to reach down here. Weird that I did not notice it after I bought the car in Jan of this year. Temp would make me think something rubber and suspension related, but again nothing I can feel- only noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oddly enough the noise is more prevalent when its cold, probably why I am just now noticing it since it takes a while for winter to reach down here. Weird that I did not notice it after I bought the car in Jan of this year. Temp would make me think something rubber and suspension related, but again nothing I can feel- only noise.
It is definitely temperature dependent. It was annoying in summer, now it's horrible on my 24F mornings.
      12-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #22
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Might be worth checking all the nuts and bolts are tight.
I didn't tighten a rear lower strut bolt tight enough. Everything felt tight by hand as there's tension in the suspension. But it was knocking over bumps.
Tightened it up properly and the knocking went away.
Appreciate 1
Korvo368.00