F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Haggling when buying used
GetBMWParts

08-31-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Haggling when buying used

I'm not your typical bmw shopper. I am really cheap and look for the best deal I can find. I also try to figure out exactly what I want and search accordingly. I've visited a couple bmw dealership in search of a suitable vehicle. Never have I had a welcome greeting or been greeted at all. You have to walk into the dealership and ask for help and then you still have to wait a while. I felt like they really didn't need my business. When I did speak to a sales rep (which I believe was for the used cars) he didn't seem too enthusiastic about helping me. I asked about a particular vehicle I saw on the internet. He acted like I was speaking a different language. He looked it up and couldn't find it. It has been sold!!!! I just wish I could find the car I am looking for from a private owner and bypass the dealership all together.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

I bought mine private, was able to get 1k off what he was asking and he threw in a bunch of extras (set of winter wheels, new short shift kit, installed rear cam, installed front cam, bluetooth media interface)

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
I'm not your typical bmw shopper. I am really cheap and look for the best deal I can find. I also try to figure out exactly what I want and search accordingly. I've visited a couple bmw dealership in search of a suitable vehicle. Never have I had a welcome greeting or been greeted at all. You have to walk into the dealership and ask for help and then you still have to wait a while. I felt like they really didn't need my business. When I did speak to a sales rep (which I believe was for the used cars) he didn't seem too enthusiastic about helping me. I asked about a particular vehicle I saw on the internet. He acted like I was speaking a different language. He looked it up and couldn't find it. It has been sold!!!! I just wish I could find the car I am looking for from a private owner and bypass the dealership all together.
What would be your definition of a BMW shopper? I’ll bet virtually every one on this forum looked for the best deal they could find. Just wondering. A lot of people don’t like salesmen pouncing as soon as you walk on the property.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Maybe they knew you were "really cheap".........
IK6SPEED4488.00
Swappy531.50
Zara610.50
      08-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Have you tried Craigslist or any number of places online where private Sellers List cars? Seems like you're trying to get the best deal possible which we understand so your best bet is a private deal.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Bought my privately, he was seriously awesome and contacted me knowing i was in search of one. amazing car, well maintained, abunch of extra stuff and all. Definitely buy one privately especially on this boarding or another bmw group because then you will know it was well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Search dealership inventories for the car you want, and when you find it, email the dealership indicating your interest in that particular car, and inquire about its availability. You can usually send a message through the dealership website, or through car searching apps. When I've done this, I've always received a prompt reply, and was asked if I'd like to make an appointment to look at the car. Making an appointment to see a specific car suggests to the dealer that you're a serious buyer, and not a tire kicker, or someone who's just looking to go for a joy ride.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      09-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Why are you wasting your time visiting dealer to dealer? Many dealers list their used inventory on AutoTrader, and also on their website. I bought my car CPO; I went to one dealer for a test drive, and then just scoured the internet to find the car I wanted. I learned really quickly which dealers had more detailed listings so I was sure what features it had. I found the best deal, and didn't set foot in that dealership until I was picking up my car--and the CA was pretty enthusiastic to greet me at that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

TrueCar is a good place as well, you can find what's out there and also see what you should be paying for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Getting "the best" deal is a function of market liquidity- what cars are available with what options - and being able to find them. Researching via all channels mentioned above is step one. Become familiar with availability of cars even within 2 hours drive. Narrow down must-have and nice-to-have options.

If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
jaysal555
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i SULEV

I drove from Orlando down to Fort Lauderdale/Miami look at CPO F32's. They had the most inventory in the state. I went to two dealers at the end of the month and end of the quarter, March 31st. The second dealer had the specs I was looking for. I was offered almost $1k below my final offer still the first dealer via text when I told them I wasn't returning. Kinda ridiculous, I told them my number and they refused to budge when I was there. Anyways I ended up negotiating an out the door price knowing where I wanted to purchase the car. I got over $1,500 over their listed price. I left happy.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      09-01-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

just search online. finding a 'deal' is always a trade off. you can always find good deals on f30s but they may not be the spec you want. and you can find the spec you want but it may not be a great deal.

No point in talking to a dealer. 99% of salesman are dumb af when it comes to anything car related. they are only there to say yes or no to your price.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 02:38 AM   #13
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you're cheap and looking for the best deal, you should be looking for private sales and third party dealers, not BMW dealerships. Buying from a BMW dealership is generally more expensive even if it's not a CPO. People automatically assume there's more protection for the buyer. Unless it's a CPO, generally there isn't.

I recommend you should start looking for cars on Autotrader if you want the best deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 02:57 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Get CPO if u can
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I always haggle, as the saying goes, if you don’t ask you don’t get. Worst that can happen is they say no!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Check out BMW of Reading (PA). They sell to people all across the USA, and I've bought my cars there (very happy customer).

Last time I was in for an oil change, the sales guy I work with was prepping a car for shipment to Texas.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #17
jeffthx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i X-drive M-Sport Conv

I conducted my search within a 1-day drive from my house (Minneapolis). I travel a lot for work, so I knew that I had an option to fly to one of my markets and drive a car home. My financing was pre-approved, so it was just a matter of picking out a car. I also didn't limit my search to BMW dealers. I narrowed down the field to 3 final options.

In the end, I found a 2015 435i xDrive M-Sport convertible in very good shape (clean carfax) at a Honda dealer in St Louis. Black/Black. The only hitch was high mileage (65k). The dealer had it listed for $34k when they first put it on the lot (original sticker $66.5k). They had put a new set of Pirelli P7s, flushed the brake lines, and changed the oil. The car had been sitting on the lot for a while, so it was down to $31k by the time I did my search. The dealer sent me lots of close-up pictures, and I felt pretty comfortable that the dealer and car were both legit (also a 3mth/3k warranty to make sure things were good out of the gate). I'm figuring that because this was a Honda dealer, there probably wasn't much appeal to the typical Odyssey buyer for this car sitting on the lot, which is why it sat there for months (not to mention that they took possession of it in late winter, so convertible buying season didn't really kick in for a while after that).

I offered $29k, and we settled at $29.6k. I routed one of my next work flights through STL, checked it out, and drove it home. I've had it for a few months now, and I'm very happy with the quality and condition of the car. It's my first BMW, and I have no concerns about it at all. Most of the work I've done on the car has been cosmetic, but I did change the plugs/coils/air filter. I'll have the charge pipe changed as a precaution.

I'm a bit nervous not having the peace of mind of CPO or any type of warranty. However, getting the car for much less than half the original sticker price is a good feeling, and I have a couple of solid indy shops near me if I need service.

To sum up: Expand the search geography, expand the net of dealers, and do your research. Deals are out there, but you can do the work without having to limit your range or spend lots of time in person driving from lot to lot.

--Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Here basic tips
Take (MSSRP ÷ 100,000 miles) x by current miles then minus that total from the mssrp that should be the general price you pay. Once it gets below 5k then that just a battle of how desperate they want to get rid of the car

CPO will add a few hundred you can also deduct base on the oil change coming due if the tirer are over a year old and a few other thing you can argue to reduce the price such as paint damage or dent and so on. Always have a buddy to call in if needed and always have someone who will kill you if you go a penny over who not with you at the time such as a wife.

Considering all that I think you overpaid by about 5k

With my tactics I got a 16 340i all the bells and whistles in summer of 2016 executive demo with 7k miles at 38k

Last edited by NormanConquest; 09-02-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
What would be your definition of a BMW shopper? I’ll bet virtually every one on this forum looked for the best deal they could find. Just wondering. A lot of people don’t like salesmen pouncing as soon as you walk on the property.
My definition of a typical bmw shopper is a person that walks into a dealership with a butt load of cash and just buys the car with out questioning price. I am not a typical car owner. I do my own maintenance and do not use dealers unless under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Maybe they knew you were "really cheap".........
Not possible. They knew nothing about me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #21
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Why are you wasting your time visiting dealer to dealer? Many dealers list their used inventory on AutoTrader, and also on their website. I bought my car CPO; I went to one dealer for a test drive, and then just scoured the internet to find the car I wanted. I learned really quickly which dealers had more detailed listings so I was sure what features it had. I found the best deal, and didn't set foot in that dealership until I was picking up my car--and the CA was pretty enthusiastic to greet me at that point.
I am searching autotrader. This is how I am finding cars to look at. I have not found any cars at private owners.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #22
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
My definition of a typical bmw shopper is a person that walks into a dealership with a butt load of cash and just buys the car with out questioning price. I am not a typical car owner. I do my own maintenance and do not use dealers unless under warranty.
Obviously no one on this forum would be a typical BMW dealer to you. We talk price all the time. A lot of the people here do their own work on the car.
Appreciate 1
kern4174447.50