F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Designing 4 Series bumper trims / fangs
GetBMWParts

03-19-2024, 10:32 AM   #23
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Okay, I have had a lot of people over the last month ask me to re-look into these.

I have a rough price to SLA print these which requires less labour than the previous method, but obviously costs a little more. I'm not looking to make profit on these hence why I don't want to be spending 2+ hours sanding every single pair, it's more to make these available to the community.

If I have these resin printed (smooth) imported, painted gloss black and then posted within the UK it will be right on the line of £300. In that there's probably £2-3 profit which will cover the cost of me running them back and forth to bodyshops and couriers.

Print cost is £260.25, a bodyshop fee for prep and painting as well as an insured courier service. Maybe later in the future I'll be able to offer them in an unpainted state but right now the cost is discounted based on me doing these in batches.

I had a few people ask me for the final design file and whilst I'm wanting to do this for community I'm unfortunately no longer wanting to risk my spiralling investment. I gave the v1 CAD file out to three people, one attempted to make moulds and kept asking for advice, they fell flat after I stopped providing my time for free so far I have sunk £400 into prototyping them, experimenting with materials and equipment hire, so hopefully you can see why I'm not longer willing to be burnt.

If people wish to re-create them after buying one then albeit! I have spent over 2 years exhausting production costs and this is the cheapest route without incurring hours of body filler and sanding, I'm not exactly worried about a factory in China making them for pennies; there's a reason why they only want to make the knock off stick on version.

Right now I'm having my final version printed then painted, once I have it ready I'll share photos and a plan on how to buy them.

Finally for those who live outside of the UK international shipping will be possible, it'll just be a tad more due to shipping rates.
      03-27-2024, 06:22 PM   #24
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Received my first set of the final design today, the quality surpasses the requirements so I'll be placing an order for the first 5 pairs tomorrow, hopefully they can be painted and ready by mid-late April.