F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS tune now available for 335i, 435i, 535i Electronic Wastegate
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #133
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
IF you have a sort of Stage 2 for MPPK folks (if you're able to stack).....when you mention that intake and exhaust might be needed....they wouldn't have to be Dinan products, would they? I have a Borla full catback and an AFE Magnum intake on order....I hope those would do the job. I sure hope you guys figure a way to stack as that will certainly open up Dinantronics sales to more people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Stage 2 and beyond always recommend or require additional hardware. While we obviously recommend our own stuff this is mainly because we have tested it that way. Another manufacturer's part may not provide the same result or perhaps yield some unintended byproduct. Given, this may not be very likely but we just don't know since if was not tested.*

Bottom line is you certainly can have other branded performance mods to go with the higher stages but we just can't guarantee the results will be the same as what may have been claimed.

"...you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore..."

~ Taggart
Blazing Saddles
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #134
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman335
You need to make sure that your 2015 model has the oil cooler, please refer to the below post. I guess BMW start using something like an oil/water heat exchanger on the oil filter housing, instead of oil cooler on newly made 2014+ X3 35i.

The above 2 pics are older(11-13?) X3 35i, the bottom one is the 2014 model, you can clearly see the difference.

At least my 2012 has the separate oil cooler behind the passenger side intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I can't tell you how much goodwill you create by interacting with enthusiasts.

I hadn't been in the market for one, but I would now purchase a Dinan tune for my 2015 X3 xDrive35i- if you'd make one (and I don't think I'm alone).
So I definitely have what looks like an oil cooler behind my X3's left front lower grill (when viewed from the front of the X3). I believe that this feature is unique to hot climate 2015 X3s. I also have what looks like the hardware from the '14 connecting it to the head/block.

I would note that the 28i does not have this opening on the left lower grill.

See the attached pics.

Last edited by Roundown; 09-14-2014 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #135
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
We own our own 335i with MPPK but thank you for the offer. 😊
AHH!
Now we can expect some good results then soon...here's to stacking!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #136
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
AHH!
Now we can expect some good results then soon...here's to stacking!
I don't understand why there is any confusion and/or debate over this...do you guys not get it? Of course it's going to "stack"...there's no way for it to not "stack." It's a piggyback. If by "stacking" you think you can add the MPPK's gains on its own to what a DTronic gains on its own and combine them...you are grossly mistaken, and I'd love to hear how you think that's even possible.

In this regard, there absolutely no difference between what happens here and with "the other" piggyback(s). Install any of the other piggybacks onto a car without MPPK and install one on a car with MPPK...both car's end results will be identical. For example, why do you think there is no difference between "the other" units sold for an F30 335i and an M235i (which effectively has MPPK). End results are the same. The information from the underlying ECU program doesn't matter...it's ultimately the same engine and turbo set to target the same parameters from the same signals being transmitted to the ECU.

There is nothing stopping anyone right now with MPPK from ordering a "non MPPK" Dinan unit and installing it. It will install and work perfectly fine and the end results will be same as someone who didn't have MPPK, (except you have those super cool HP and TQ displays). The only reason you WILL NOT see it marketed to MPPK cars is that Dinan is going to have a very, very difficult time selling the value of a $2K tune which gets you 10 HP (MPPK F30s dyno around 295-300 RWHP...two M235i owners made 312-314 RWHP with Dinan Stage 1 plus an intake/MPE, as did Dinan's own M235i. Do the math).

Not surprisingly, what you will see is the Dinan "Stage 2" DTronic marketed to MPPK equipped cars, providing a small bump over their Stage 1 to about 330-335 RWHP combined with their intake and axle-back perhaps. Then they can advertise some sort of gain for MPPK cars, however negating any of what the MPPK did to the engine's tuning while leaving the MPPK's ancillary benefits since a piggyback can not do anything about those.

Just adding a dose of reality here, but it would be interesting if I'm proven wrong. We can of course go back to asking if a DTronic is in the works for a 2007 Z4...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #137
iceman335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport

Great! Yup as long as you have the oil cooler you will be fine. I am contacting Dinan now and see if I can send my 12 X3 35i in as a development car. Will keep posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
So I definitely have what looks like an oil cooler behind my X3's left front lower grill (when viewed from the front of the X3). I believe that this feature is unique to hot climate 2015 X3s. I also have what looks like the hardware from the '14 connecting it to the head/block.

I would note that the 28i does not have this opening on the left lower grill.

See the attached pics.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #138
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I believe all BMWs with the N55 engine have an external oil cooler, as did the older N55 and most of the N54 cars; the F30 M-Sports have an additional engine coolant radiator on the driver side. The question is whether or not M-Sport has a larger OC than the non-M-Sport models. I haven't looked at RealOEM yet.

My previous N54-engined E92 had Dinan S3 installed, which required not only a larger oil cooler but also a more efficient FMIC. Mine were not Dinan, but were brand-name (Evolution Racewerks and Extreme Turbo Systems) equal to or better than the Dinan-labeled pieces, and since I was completely out of warranty, Dinan allowed my dealer to install the S3 software. Which raises the question of whether further tuning stages will also require an upgraded FMIC. Dinan - any thoughts on that?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #139
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
I believe all BMWs with the N55 engine have an external oil cooler, as did the older N55 and most of the N54 cars; the F30 M-Sports have an additional engine coolant radiator on the driver side. The question is whether or not M-Sport has a larger OC than the non-M-Sport models. I haven't looked at RealOEM yet.

My previous N54-engined E92 had Dinan S3 installed, which required not only a larger oil cooler but also a more efficient FMIC. Mine were not Dinan, but were brand-name (Evolution Racewerks and Extreme Turbo Systems) equal to or better than the Dinan-labeled pieces, and since I was completely out of warranty, Dinan allowed my dealer to install the S3 software. Which raises the question of whether further tuning stages will also require an upgraded FMIC. Dinan - any thoughts on that?
Not all N55s come with oil coolers. Note that when you look to add an MPPK on E8x, E9x models that there are two options, one for cars with and one for cars without the oil cooler (with the later requiring install of the oil cooler).

That said, I'd wager that all BMW SUVs come with oil coolers, given the added loads...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #140
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Which raises the question of whether further tuning stages will also require an upgraded FMIC. Dinan - any thoughts on that?
Additional stages will most likely keep in line with how it has done in the past with the e9x line. Still speculation at this point but I would imagine a stage 3 version will require an intercooler, and a stage 4 would then need a larger turbo, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #141
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I don't understand why there is any confusion and/or debate over this...do you guys not get it? Of course it's going to "stack"...there's no way for it to not "stack." It's a piggyback. If by "stacking" you think you can add the MPPK's gains on its own to what a DTronic gains on its own and combine them...you are grossly mistaken, and I'd love to hear how you think that's even possible.

In this regard, there absolutely no difference between what happens here and with "the other" piggyback(s). Install any of the other piggybacks onto a car without MPPK and install one on a car with MPPK...both car's end results will be identical. For example, why do you think there is no difference between "the other" units sold for an F30 335i and an M235i (which effectively has MPPK). End results are the same. The information from the underlying ECU program doesn't matter...it's ultimately the same engine and turbo set to target the same parameters from the same signals being transmitted to the ECU.

There is nothing stopping anyone right now with MPPK from ordering a "non MPPK" Dinan unit and installing it. It will install and work perfectly fine and the end results will be same as someone who didn't have MPPK, (except you have those super cool HP and TQ displays). The only reason you WILL NOT see it marketed to MPPK cars is that Dinan is going to have a very, very difficult time selling the value of a $2K tune which gets you 10 HP (MPPK F30s dyno around 295-300 RWHP...two M235i owners made 312-314 RWHP with Dinan Stage 1 plus an intake/MPE, as did Dinan's own M235i. Do the math).

Not surprisingly, what you will see is the Dinan "Stage 2" DTronic marketed to MPPK equipped cars, providing a small bump over their Stage 1 to about 330-335 RWHP combined with their intake and axle-back perhaps. Then they can advertise some sort of gain for MPPK cars, however negating any of what the MPPK did to the engine's tuning while leaving the MPPK's ancillary benefits since a piggyback can not do anything about those.

Just adding a dose of reality here, but it would be interesting if I'm proven wrong. We can of course go back to asking if a DTronic is in the works for a 2007 Z4...
So....I'm unsure if you understand what we're all referring to as "stacking".
Stacking to me means=
1. Gains and software tweaks from MPPK remain
2. Driveline characteristics from MPPK remain
3. Dinan enhancements are on TOP of this....

So, if you've done the Dinan DHP mods, where they enhance your suspension parameters, you'll see that as an example of a nicely done "stacking" where existing BMW programming has been enhanced.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #142
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
So....I'm unsure if you understand what we're all referring to as "stacking".
Stacking to me means=
1. Gains and software tweaks from MPPK remain
2. Driveline characteristics from MPPK remain
3. Dinan enhancements are on TOP of this....

So, if you've done the Dinan DHP mods, where they enhance your suspension parameters, you'll see that as an example of a nicely done "stacking" where existing BMW programming has been enhanced.

Yup... +1
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #143
rc11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - M Sport

2011 F25 35i

Could you kindly keep us posted on the tune for F25 X3? Many of us are anxiously waiting for it and feel kind of neglected to be honest
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #144
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc11 View Post
Could you kindly keep us posted on the tune for F25 X3? Many of us are anxiously waiting for it and feel kind of neglected to be honest
We'll do our best to keep everyone updated! We've got a lot of projects across the board (M3/M4, x35i, M5/M6)!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #145
PRODIGAL KING
6 Speed over Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Sorry. I had only read this when i first looked at the thread and now just read page three. Just missed the middle. Hope youll reach back to e90 335d.
You are forgiven.

I would say it is VERY unlikely we go backward but strange things have happened before. I just wouldn't count on it.
Does the extra power show up on the sports displays?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #146
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRODIGAL KING View Post
Does the extra power show up on the sports displays?
It does not.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #147
kaveh_h
Save the manual
United_States
Rep
Drives: Save the manual

Are there any plans for stage 2 for f10 N55
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #148
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveh_h View Post
Are there any plans for stage 2 for f10 N55
There are plans for a stage 2 and it's associated hardware components. As to a rough date of when that may happen we have a tentative goal in mind but it is an extremely fluid time frame so anything I gave you would be pure guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #149
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

i've been waiting for this since i bought my f10 535i back in december 2010, and now you finally release it 3 months after i sold my car...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #150
energyIB
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quick update - my car is currently at my dealer having this installed and they ran into some programming problems yesterday and had to keep it over night and are currently still waiting on Dinan for some answers...

This is the first install of the new EWG compatible version that my dealer is doing so yay to me for being a test dummy...will keep yall posted
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #151
oregon335iowner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35D

Really want a tune for x3 35i!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #152
energyIB
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Not much progress made today but they finally have a Dinan tech on the phone trying to figure it out. Leaving it there for one more night...a little bit disappointed right now obviously
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #153
2018FireOrangeM3
Rep
Drives: 2018 Fire Orange M3

Will the dinan tune discriminate on total power gains like my mppk does, as far as automatic transmission vs. 6mt. I have the mppk and a 6mt and I feel like I got the short end of the stick.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #154
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperformance335 View Post
Will the dinan tune discriminate on total power gains like my mppk does, as far as automatic transmission vs. 6mt. I have the mppk and a 6mt and I feel like I got the short end of the stick.
So you are saying that MPPK gains are different between an automatic and a manual transmission? The MPPK should not discriminate between the two just like the Dinan tune would not. The factory ratings of +~20HP and +~30 lb-ft of torque on the MPPK are rated at the crank and do not take into account losses on varying transmissions. Now what power is being delivered onto the road (whp) will differ slightly based on varying transmission losses but it would be arguably non-existent in terms of anything you would be able to "feel".

If you are feeling a noticeable difference between your vehicle w/ MPPK and another vehicle w/ MPPK I would go back to your dealer and verify the MPPK tune is actually flashed on your vehicle as there really shouldn't be a measurable (in terms of feel) difference.
Appreciate 0