F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F32 Brake Total Confusion
GetBMWParts

07-18-2019, 03:26 AM   #1
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

F32 Brake Total Confusion

Hi Guys

I've tried posting this in an existing thread, but to no avail, so apologies if this has been asked many times, but I just cant find the answer.

I have used a combination to work out what part codes I have in regards to disks and pads of looking up the part codes on the BMW parts site and the Bimmerpost article cited elsewhere. For example they are the M Sport variant (pre blue caliper) P337 option single piston grey callipers and what BMW tell me use part codes of:

Front Disks: 34116792221 (I'm guessing based on the pads as BMW doesn't seem to list disks for my car?!?)
Front Pads: 34106859181

Rear Disks: 34216792227
Rear Pads: 34216873093

I have a couple of questions:

1. When ordering replacement aftermarket pads, how do I discern if my brakes are ATE or Brembo? Pretty much every site lists both options to fit my car but I have no idea to know which ones I need unless I remove the old pads first and check the shape.

2. As my car has the lower diameter rotors, when considering replacing them, can I use larger diameter rotors without having to swap out callipers etc? Are they just a bolt in replacement? If I upgraded to the larger M Sport ones or M Performance ones, will I need anything additional such as different calliper brackets etc?

3. Suggestions for a mid-range rotor replacement such as Brembos etc. Would prefer drilled or grooved and drilled.

Thanks for any help in advance

Andy
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-b...ke-Differences

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      07-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Hi Guys

I've tried posting this in an existing thread, but to no avail, so apologies if this has been asked many times, but I just cant find the answer.

I have used a combination to work out what part codes I have in regards to disks and pads of looking up the part codes on the BMW parts site and the Bimmerpost article cited elsewhere. For example they are the M Sport variant (pre blue caliper) P337 option single piston grey callipers and what BMW tell me use part codes of:

Front Disks: 34116792221 (I'm guessing based on the pads as BMW doesn't seem to list disks for my car?!?)
Front Pads: 34106859181

Rear Disks: 34216792227
Rear Pads: 34216873093

I have a couple of questions:

1. When ordering replacement aftermarket pads, how do I discern if my brakes are ATE or Brembo? Pretty much every site lists both options to fit my car but I have no idea to know which ones I need unless I remove the old pads first and check the shape.

2. As my car has the lower diameter rotors, when considering replacing them, can I use larger diameter rotors without having to swap out callipers etc? Are they just a bolt in replacement? If I upgraded to the larger M Sport ones or M Performance ones, will I need anything additional such as different calliper brackets etc?

3. Suggestions for a mid-range rotor replacement such as Brembos etc. Would prefer drilled or grooved and drilled.

Thanks for any help in advance

Andy
Read the Turner link that you received for your model since they have the best write up to explain BMW brake configurations which aren't easy to understand.

Plug your VIN into realOEM.com and getbmwparts.com to find your original part numbers. I have gotten great info when I've been stuck by emailing getbmwparts.com

You have to use the same size rotor unless you change calipers. M Sport/ M Performance brakes need a minimum of 18" wheels for clearance. Any rear brakes with two-piston Brembo calipers over 345mm rotors require 18" wheels.

Buying new BMW rotors is a waste of money. Zimmerman makes OEM quality, plus they are zinc coated so no rusty rotors like uncoated BMW stock rotors.

OEM Brake Pads also poor performers and put out gobs of black sticky dust. I recommend Hawk HPS 5.0 which are a superior replacement.

Upgrade to StopTech stainless steel brake lines for $106/ set of four. Much improved brake pedal feel. Little labor cost if done at same time as brake job. Always replace brake fluid every two years.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
B1ue52
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F32 420d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Read the Turner link that you received for your model since they have the best write up to explain BMW brake configurations which aren't easy to understand.

Plug your VIN into realOEM.com and getbmwparts.com to find your original part numbers. I have gotten great info when I've been stuck by emailing getbmwparts.com

You have to use the same size rotor unless you change calipers. M Sport/ M Performance brakes need a minimum of 18" wheels for clearance. Any rear brakes with two-piston Brembo calipers over 345mm rotors require 18" wheels.

Buying new BMW rotors is a waste of money. Zimmerman makes OEM quality, plus they are zinc coated so no rusty rotors like uncoated BMW stock rotors.

OEM Brake Pads also poor performers and put out gobs of black sticky dust. I recommend Hawk HPS 5.0 which are a superior replacement.

Upgrade to StopTech stainless steel brake lines for $106/ set of four. Much improved brake pedal feel. Little labor cost if done at same time as brake job. Always replace brake fluid every two years.

Hope this helps!
It does help thanks, though I had read the Turner guide and the Bimmer one. The problem was that every 3rd party retailer provides both Brembo and ATE options for my car.

I eventually narrowed it down to being ATE by speaking directly with EBC as I am going with EBC Greenstuff pads. (Yellows when I change rotors).

Think I am also going to go with EBC rotors as well as they seem to get really good reviews. Agree?

I have seen you promote the brake line change in other posts and will take that advice. Is it a simple DIY job or does it need a professional. I'm happy doing most things myself if I have a guide to follow.

Thanks for your helpful reply
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps!
It does help thanks, though I had read the Turner guide and the Bimmer one. The problem was that every 3rd party retailer provides both Brembo and ATE options for my car.

I eventually narrowed it down to being ATE by speaking directly with EBC as I am going with EBC Greenstuff pads. (Yellows when I change rotors).

Think I am also going to go with EBC rotors as well as they seem to get really good reviews. Agree?

I have seen you promote the brake line change in other posts and will take that advice. Is it a simple DIY job or does it need a professional. I'm happy doing most things myself if I have a guide to follow.

Thanks for your helpful reply
My second hand information and impression is that EBC isn't as good as less expensive solutions. But I've read opinions on here that like EBC products, so who knows?

If you're confident flushing & bleeding brakes then you won't have any trouble swapping out brake lines. Changing the hoses opens up the system to air which has to be bled out.
Appreciate 0