F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New rear pads & rotors loud grinding while driving
GetBMWParts

01-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

New rear pads & rotors loud grinding while driving

I'm going to preface this is my first brake job. I installed hawk 5.0 pads and Zimmermann rotors on the rear of my 2016 328ix base brakes. I followed this youtube video

While driving I am getting very loud noise from both sides. It looks like the pads are pressing against the rotors even when the brakes are not applied. Braking seems fine, no issues or vibrations etc...brake fluid level is good.

I've read this can be normal but I've never had anything like this before after getting new brakes. Should I just run them for a long ride and see if it clears up or is this something more I should worry about? Any help appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Pads rest against the rotors when not braking, but barely. They shouldn't make audible noise when driving. If you didn't properly clean the pad carriers and lubricate the contact surfaces that can cause the pads to not fully retract. With the wheels off rotate the rotors. There may be a very slight noise from the pads rubbing on the rotors, but only very slight. If you did the rears and the parking brake wasn't correctly adjusted that could make noise as well. You adjust that by rotating the rotor, listening for the shoes to drag as you make them tighter. When you hear drag back the adjustment off one click of the wheel.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Pads rest against the rotors when not braking, but barely. They shouldn't make audible noise when driving. If you didn't properly clean the pad carriers and lubricate the contact surfaces that can cause the pads to not fully retract. With the wheels off rotate the rotors. There may be a very slight noise from the pads rubbing on the rotors, but only very slight. If you did the rears and the parking brake wasn't correctly adjusted that could make noise as well. You adjust that by rotating the rotor, listening for the shoes to drag as you make them tighter. When you hear drag back the adjustment off one click of the wheel.
Thanks for the info. I took off the wheels and spun the rotors and it seems there is a section on the drivers side rear rotor that when it passes the pad causes the grinding noise. Does this mean the rotor needs to be machined? Maybe send it back?

From a parking brake perspective I didn't adjust anything. I'll have to google how to do that but seems unrelated to my issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep

Seems like the protective plate is rubbing against the rotor...Maybe the new rotor might be slightly deeper?? Adjusting and see if that's the fix.

EDIT: Protective plate was the problem...sigh...rookie panic move not checking before posting here. Thanks for the quick response @Billfitz

Last edited by GreenF30N26; 01-16-2021 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Yup! Not uncommon when installing new rotors and pads. Normally, going through the recommended "bedding" process after installation, solves this noise as coatings get burnished off the rotors and the pads transfer some material to the new rotors.
Appreciate 0