F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Rock Chip: Help and/or Input
Studio RSR

12-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 / E92 M3

Rock Chip: Help and/or Input

So was washing the F30 the other day and right as I was about to begin, I found a chip on the front bumper about the size of a dime. Right in the very center of the car below the grills. I don't mind a few small paint chips here or there, gives the car character in my opinion but this one is driving me crazy.

Anyone have an advice for how I should go about hiding or fixing this. Most of the forums I have come across so far have discussed possible paint touch up kits or basically getting the whole bumper resprayed. Touch up kit seems to be a feasible option but haven't heard of one that actually satisfies. I've checked for a new bumper cover but hard to find on already painted in MG. Anyone have good ideas?

As always, thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Justin_F32
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

You could get the front bumper repainted, where are you located ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPJK View Post
So was washing the F30 the other day and right as I was about to begin, I found a chip on the front bumper about the size of a dime. Right in the very center of the car below the grills. I don't mind a few small paint chips here or there, gives the car character in my opinion but this one is driving me crazy.

Anyone have an advice for how I should go about hiding or fixing this. Most of the forums I have come across so far have discussed possible paint touch up kits or basically getting the whole bumper resprayed. Touch up kit seems to be a feasible option but haven't heard of one that actually satisfies. I've checked for a new bumper cover but hard to find on already painted in MG. Anyone have good ideas?

As always, thanks for the help!
A chip the size of a dime may be too big for touch up paint. You can try filling it with several light coats of touchup paint then a few coats of clear. Then wet sand smooth with 2k to 3k grit before compounding then polishing. It will look better but not perfect.

A "smart" repair will give better results. It takes practice but it's a skill that will serve you forever:
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      12-16-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_F32 View Post
Currently down in SC. Local shop quoted me $1100 to repaint. Would be more worth my money to buy a new bumper cover and have it painted lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Justin_F32
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Currently down in SC. Local shop quoted me $1100 to repaint. Would be more worth my money to buy a new bumper cover and have it painted lol.
They quoted you wayyy to much I have a body shop in Fl and that's way to much for just a bumper
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They quoted you wayyy to much I have a body shop in Fl and that's way to much for just a bumper

Right? Should not be near that much. Since its just my daily I am going to attempt to use a Dr. Colorchip kit. I would say the chip is not quite the size of a dime so just going to be patient and cautious.

Will share results
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
changtenF36
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i Gran Coupe MSport

Quote:
Right? Should not be near that much. Since its just my daily I am going to attempt to use a Dr. Colorchip kit. I would say the chip is not quite the size of a dime so just going to be patient and cautious.

Will share results
How did that work out for you? I ordered a Dr Colorchip kit as well. The silver touchup paint that I got didn't look match very well with my existing paint.
19" 403M wheels
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      03-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changtenF36 View Post
How did that work out for you? I ordered a Dr Colorchip kit as well. The silver touchup paint that I got didn't look match very well with my existing paint.
Sorry for never updating this thread! My Dr. Colorchip experience was good, the paint matched great once it dried. Had to play around to find the best application method, I found using the little sponge brush was better than the squeegee. I am sorry to hear the kit you got didn't match up too well, maybe reach out to them and see if they can make it right? Did you ensure you had the correct paint code?
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
changtenF36
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i Gran Coupe MSport

Quote:
Sorry for never updating this thread! My Dr. Colorchip experience was good, the paint matched great once it dried. Had to play around to find the best application method, I found using the little sponge brush was better than the squeegee. I am sorry to hear the kit you got didn't match up too well, maybe reach out to them and see if they can make it right? Did you ensure you had the correct paint code?
Actually I figured out that I wasn't shaking the bottle enough to mix up the color/metallic flakes. The second time I tried the color looked pretty good haha. I'm going to figure out where I can use the Dr Colorchip paint as I've already received it.
19" 403M wheels
Appreciate 1
FPJK27.50
      03-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by changtenF36 View Post
Actually I figured out that I wasn't shaking the bottle enough to mix up the color/metallic flakes. The second time I tried the color looked pretty good haha. I'm going to figure out where I can use the Dr Colorchip paint as I've already received it.

Glad you figured it out lol! Its a great kit to have laying around just in case you need it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #11
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Was just gonna post asking about Dr Colorchip! Sounds like it does what they claim... washed my car by hand for the first time in a long time (injury) on Saturday and found a few small chips in the sides which could only be from selfish assholes hitting my car with a door. GRRRR! I have PPF on the front so no road rash and luckily there's no dings in the metal. And people wonder why I park way the hell away from other cars...
FPJK27.50
      03-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #12
FPJK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Was just gonna post asking about Dr Colorchip! Sounds like it does what they claim... washed my car by hand for the first time in a long time (injury) on Saturday and found a few small chips in the sides which could only be from selfish assholes hitting my car with a door. GRRRR! I have PPF on the front so no road rash and luckily there's no dings in the metal. And people wonder why I park way the hell away from other cars...
Recommend Dr. CC for sure! Doesn't matter how far away I park there is always that one person who still comes out and parks right next to me lol.....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Recommend Dr. CC for sure! Doesn't matter how far away I park there is always that one person who still comes out and parks right next to me lol.....
I KNOW!!! Grrrrr!