F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end collision (tear warning)
ARMA SPEED

11-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #23
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
I might just make an insurance claim and f this kids insurance for life just to spite you.
For life? Really?

Dude.

Stop.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #24
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No way is the damage from 31mph, more like double that speed?
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      11-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Lady hit me in a parking lot as she ate a stop sign. Minimal damage to my car and the total was $14k.

You're looking at around $25k looking at the fact the airbags deployed.

Also - agreed with @IAmATeaf...definitely higher speed accident. Considering how far the damage is up that hood...you most likely have some engine and frame damage buddy.

I didn't have any airbags deploy as it was like a 13mph accident but the parts are just expensive and there is a lot of damage behind that bumper man.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
I have dashcam. The reason why the damage is so extensive is because there was a massive tow hitch on the truck.
      11-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #27
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
How so? The driver had a provisional. You are assuming
How does provisional prevent you from making a claim? #not full story
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #28
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Quote:
How so? The driver had a provisional. You are assuming
How does provisional prevent you from making a claim? #not full story
The kid is underage and he pretty much snagged my keys without me knowing and took the car for a joyride. I honestly dont know why the cop didnt write him a ticket, what he did was pretty dangerous. He took his eyes off the road. Maybe ask more specific questions rather than saying not full story? I mean its not like it really matters though
      11-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #29
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
How old is your son? Assuming it’s your boy.
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      11-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #30
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
So basically auto theft? Dude- unless he is family - go through insurance.

Quote:
The kid is underage and he pretty much snagged my keys without me knowing and took the car for a joyride. I honestly dont know why the cop didnt write him a ticket, what he did was pretty dangerous. He took his eyes off the road. Maybe ask more specific questions rather than saying not full story? I mean its not like it really matters though
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #31
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
How old is your son? Assuming it's your boy.
Nephew...why all the questions i dont get why it matters to be honest. Might just take this thread down cuz its a train wreck
      11-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #32
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Damage is pretty high up, appears all the impact was above the impact rail. Probably not too bad of a rebuilder depending how much damage was done to the upper aprons. Big job though. 30mph looks close to right IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #33
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Did not read all the replies but why wouldn't you file a claim? A increase in insurance is better than walking away from a car you paid money for...It is not like the car was only worth a coupe grand or something.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #34
JDTX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
I'd go for the insurance claim too. But since the OP is willing the junk the car, then that's the best option. No one has asked yet about frame and/or engine/transmission damage. it's impossible to tell from the pictures.

Junk it. Say you put 10-12 (beyond the parts you need body work, paint, etc). for a car that goes for 3XK used (say a 2018 340i). The car won't be worth 20K after all this body damage and a totaled registration.

With luck you can get several thousands of salvaged parts if you want to go that route.
      11-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #35
K7
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 340i|18' BMW 650i

I've been in a similar situation before. I drove my friends car and unfortunately rear ended another car and did not want my friend's insurance to go up. I had a busted bumper and needed a new headlight + module; all in was about $8k(CAD). I didn't really shop around, I just chose the best auto body shop since I wanted to car to be back in perfect condition so I'm sure I could've gotten a better price.

I would recommend considering your car as a project and slowly get the work done. I showed the pictures to a friend who has some experience from a bmw auto body shop; he estimated close to $18k but there may be some hidden damage
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #36
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
So the cop made a police report, including driver's info, but failed to issue summons to the underage / unlicensed driver? That is surprising.
Does the report mention anything regarding who was at fault?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #37
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

WOW, this sucks.
I manage a collision shop and have been affiliated with BMW's all my life. If this car really does mean a lot to you, you can not cut corners or make it a project. I would fathom you're easily in the $15k+ range from that photo. I understand the insurance issue but heres what I always advise people:
Look at the rate increase you would incur over the next 3 years. Is that greater than the out of pocket to fix or scrap the car? You might be better since its a clean title to find someone to buy it as is.
Hit me up if you would like to talk a little more about your options......
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #38
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Might just take this thread down cuz its a train wreck
Sort of like your car

Totaled

File a claim on your insurance. Let them pay because if your nephew only has a provisional license, he has no car/insurance anyway.

Again, it's going to be less in insurance increases for 5 years than your out if pocket.

This car has LESS damage than yours. You need additional airbags, new dashboard, new grills and a second headlight.

The damage in it is close to $20k and you have over $5k more in damage in parts, not including labor.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25362172
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      11-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #39
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel of my pride and joy. Thankfully no one was hurt and I am choosing not to go through insurance because well honestly I would rather junk the car then hit insurance up. No tickets were issued bless that officer. But my big question is: how bad would replacing airbags and the cooling system be? Id take the airbags to a great mechanic of course and as far as the cooling is concerned my own garage should be suitable. The tow hitch of the truck went straight into the coolant tank. Ive attached some photos, and yes they are pretty gruesome. I ran some numbers and they dont look great... around $8k MINIMUM in parts? Is that really so for airbags? Again insurance is not an option I would literally rather trash the car.
Also yes an officer did come and issue the police report+insurance slip.
Ive also called around a few shops and sent pictures they are saying its not worth fixing. I just want to be sure before I get rid of her. I would love to make this car a project and restore it.
LETS REWIND THIS.....

Cop showed up... you said. This cop didn't wrote a ticket... yes. Cop didn't wrote an incident/ accident report. That does means there is no paper trail. If your worried about your nephew claim it as accident you did and there are no 2nd and 3rd party involved. You gonna need your story straight.

I'm just saying here....bending a couple of laws here... insurance don't even have to know where in happened just say towed it home ....hahaha. this is one gutsy move if you do it.

I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not responsible for what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #40
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
I let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel of my pride and joy. Thankfully no one was hurt and I am choosing not to go through insurance because well honestly I would rather junk the car then hit insurance up. No tickets were issued bless that officer. But my big question is: how bad would replacing airbags and the cooling system be? Id take the airbags to a great mechanic of course and as far as the cooling is concerned my own garage should be suitable. The tow hitch of the truck went straight into the coolant tank. Ive attached some photos, and yes they are pretty gruesome. I ran some numbers and they dont look great... around $8k MINIMUM in parts? Is that really so for airbags? Again insurance is not an option I would literally rather trash the car.
Also yes an officer did come and issue the police report+insurance slip.
Ive also called around a few shops and sent pictures they are saying its not worth fixing. I just want to be sure before I get rid of her. I would love to make this car a project and restore it.
LETS REWIND THIS.....

Cop showed up... you said. This cop didn't wrote a ticket... yes. Cop didn't wrote an incident/ accident report. That does means there is no paper trail.
Incorrect.

Police Accident Reports are public records and recorded by Lexis Nexus, which report to Carfax and Insurance Carriers.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:08 PM   #41
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Incorrect.

Police Accident Reports are public records and recorded by Lexis Nexus, which report to Carfax and Insurance Carriers.
I'm asking that because I know someone who was the same situation long time ago.

Police didn't showed up tho ... Son ( 16 yrs old, no license)crash on a guard raid spun out .. he just drove the car home ... and claim it under his name.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #42
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

If memory serves me correctly, the LCI headlights alone retail for $1900 a piece. And there's something like 3 to 4 modules attached to each headlight, that retail for at least another $1000 (assuming those are broke). So just two new LCI headlights, with the modules, are going to run $5800 retail, at a minimum -- probably more (I think I'm undercutting the price of the modules -- it's been years since I looked). By the time you add everything else that needs to be replaced (air bags, seatbelt tensioners, hood, bumper, grill, fender, and misc underpinnings) with paint and labor, it's easy to see how these cars get totaled out.

If someone is handy the repair might not be too bad to fix yourself (assuming no frame damage). I think they key to getting it back on the road, affordably, would be to see if the car can be coded for aftermarket headlights that are not going to cost a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #43
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

This repair can certainly be done for cheaper but you'd have to grab your tool kit and source your parts. Spoken as a DIYER. My insurance rates have always rise no matter what so I see what you have on your hands. And I have no accidents.

you do not necessarily have to go with all brand new parts either. I agree go brand new with the airbags (I don't think getbmwparts will ship you an airbag so check with them). Get a front clip from a rear ended f30 and you are practically in the clear. The most you need to do now is map out what exactly you'll need by taking it apart what's broken and what isn't. That budget will be out of wack if you are just grabbing parts just because. Anything broken on the engine? seem the tow bar did not do much damage under but just folded the hood like tin foil.
      11-18-2019, 10:15 PM   #44
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

There is so much misinformation in this thread it's scary. I'm always amazed at how little people know about collision damage and repair. Seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything.

OP, I would pursue an insurance claim. Your insurance company may or may not deny coverage, as you never granted permission for the other person to drive the car. It's more likely than not that they'll afford you coverage, but they could possibly deny coverage. Unlikely, but again prepare yourself for that.

As far as damage extent is concerned, it's tough to tell conclusively just based on those photos. You could certainly contact a few salvage yards to see what they'd buy the car for, but I'd still say your best bet is to pursue a claim with your insurer.

Best of luck, sorry this happened to you.
Appreciate 0