F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 6WB Cluster from BimmerTech
proTUNING Freaks

06-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
lazy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

6WB Cluster from BimmerTech

Hello,
I had a boring analog cluster so I decided to retrofit 6WB Cluster from BimmerTech and I want to share with you my experience with both the cluster and BimmerTech.

Digital Cluster Review
The 6WB cluster colors are really bright and easy to read. The cluster display is eye-candy.
The digital cluster itself does not add any display more information. The same information that was displayed by the old analog cluster is now being displayed in more modern look and feel.
Although there is no new functionality introduced, I am really happy with the upgrade and it does give the car a new sportier look. Moreover, the cluster has a magnifier function to make the digits near the indicator larger, therefore making them easier to read.
There two things that bothers me with the digital cluster:
  1. There is big space between the two dials, which I think it was left intentionally for navigation which I don’t have.
  2. You can’t set the default look & feel for the digital cluster. For example, I really like Sport mode look & feel but I can’t set it as default look for other driving modes like comfort or eco. You can, however, set the comfort mode look&feel as default for all the other modes.
If you care about aesthetics then you will be happy with 6WB cluster, if you are looking for additional functionalities with 6WB, then you might be disappointed.

BimmerTech Review

Let me start by saying the guys at BimmerTech are awesome!
They were supportive all the way. I initially installed the Digital Cluster and booked my coding session with BimmerTech, however, the coding session failed to make the digital cluster work.
When I approached BimmerTech for clarification, they informed me that my car is not compatible with the digital cluster due to the lack of fiber optics, and a head unit replacement is needed. They mentioned that they are willing to cover part of the costs along with shipping to make it work.
After few days, BimmerTech shipped the new head unit to me. However, I came to know that DHL put my shipment on-hold due to EU restrictions rules. BimmerTech took the initiative to follow up continuously with DHL for my shipment release, and after releasing the shipment they kept tracking it and until it got delivered to me.

My Old Cluster

6WB Sport Mode

6WB Comfort Mode

6WB ECO Mode
Appreciate 4
DeeKay553.00
exE36M3487.50
      06-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Ok great. Lots of people have done this

07-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Shit I thought it was late 2017 all over again

Glad you're happy with it too OP

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep
Drives: Aw f30 n55

Congrats OP, it looks awesome.

Anyone figure out if we can get these cheaper yet, price still looks the same from 2017
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      07-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4CK1NT05H View Post
Anyone figure out if we can get these cheaper yet, price still looks the same from 2017
How cute....someone who believes BMW OEM Part Prices DECREASE each year.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
How cute....you think BMW OEM Part Prices DECREASE each year.
Na, but was thinking there has got to be some kind of mark up for the coding that ppl have managed to do on there own. Is there really no other cheaper diy coding alternative? Or is there price already that low for the oem part?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Na, but was thinking there has got to be some kind of mark up for the coding that ppl have managed to do on there own. Is there really no other cheaper diy coding alternative? Or is there price already that low for the oem part?
How cute. Someone who believes labor prices are decreasing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think your getting what I'm saying. I'm saying these sites that sell these offer to remotely code it for you. I'm asking are they doing this service for free? If not then they are charging on top of what the oem part costs which means we should be able to do it cheaper if we code it ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think your getting what I'm saying. I'm saying these sites that sell these offer to remotely code it for you. I'm asking are they doing this service for free? If not then they are charging on top of what the oem part costs which means we should be able to do it cheaper if we code it ourselves.
And if your were as l33t as you nick implies, you wouldn't need to post here how to inquire how to code it, would you? You would have done it years ago and posted a DIY, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Hello,
I had a boring analog cluster so I decided to retrofit 6WB Cluster from BimmerTech and I want to share with you my experience with both the cluster and BimmerTech.

Digital Cluster Review
The 6WB cluster colors are really bright and easy to read. The cluster display is eye-candy.
The digital cluster itself does not add any display more information. The same information that was displayed by the old analog cluster is now being displayed in more modern look and feel.
Although there is no new functionality introduced, I am really happy with the upgrade and it does give the car a new sportier look. Moreover, the cluster has a magnifier function to make the digits near the indicator larger, therefore making them easier to read.
There two things that bothers me with the digital cluster:
  1. There is big space between the two dials, which I think it was left intentionally for navigation which I don’t have.
  2. You can’t set the default look & feel for the digital cluster. For example, I really like Sport mode look & feel but I can’t set it as default look for other driving modes like comfort or eco. You can, however, set the comfort mode look&feel as default for all the other modes.
If you care about aesthetics then you will be happy with 6WB cluster, if you are looking for additional functionalities with 6WB, then you might be disappointed.

BimmerTech Review

Let me start by saying the guys at BimmerTech are awesome!
They were supportive all the way. I initially installed the Digital Cluster and booked my coding session with BimmerTech, however, the coding session failed to make the digital cluster work.
When I approached BimmerTech for clarification, they informed me that my car is not compatible with the digital cluster due to the lack of fiber optics, and a head unit replacement is needed. They mentioned that they are willing to cover part of the costs along with shipping to make it work.
After few days, BimmerTech shipped the new head unit to me. However, I came to know that DHL put my shipment on-hold due to EU restrictions rules. BimmerTech took the initiative to follow up continuously with DHL for my shipment release, and after releasing the shipment they kept tracking it and until it got delivered to me.

My Old Cluster

6WB Sport Mode

6WB Comfort Mode

6WB ECO Mode
Looks amazing!
      07-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Looks very good indeed! I have been tempted by these for a while but it is out of my budget...

Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
H4CK1NT05H
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And if your were as l33t as you nick implies, you wouldn't need to post here how to inquire how to code it, would you? You would have done it years ago and posted a DIY, right?
Ok I really don't think your picking up what I'm putting down. I'm starting to think your trolling me. I don't really know how to be much clearer but I'll try. I'm not asking anything about coding, there's plenty of discussion on that already, I'm asking if there's anywhere else to get these cheaper than the sites that code these remotely for you. If they are coding these remotely for you that takes time. Time = money so logically thinking if we could get these WITHOUT the coding service it should be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:52 PM   #13
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - Repost it might be, but love the quick review of the unit and service he got.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I love this addition to my car.. pricy yeah, but definitely worth it and glad I did it!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
jyerelek105.50
      07-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
Kraftwerk
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M Sport

Looks great but I'm not sold on whether it's worth getting. To me it just looks like a digital version of the analog cluster. If it were more like the Audi style digital gauges I would be more interested. In short, a lot of money for a cluster that really doesn't give you much. BMW is really behind in this area.
      07-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #16
rsm_CR
Rep
Drives: 340i

One thing keeping me from getting it (asides from the obvious - - price) is that according to bimmertech, you'd lose navigation info on the hud and it would only be displayed on the cluster instead. Is that still the case? I love getting directions on the hud
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm_CR View Post
One thing keeping me from getting it (asides from the obvious - - price) is that according to bimmertech, you'd lose navigation info on the hud and it would only be displayed on the cluster instead. Is that still the case? I love getting directions on the hud
+1

Exactly why I won't get one - if they can find a workaround for this to display on HUD INSTEAD of cluster, I'd get one

Having Nav on the screen + HUD is perfect IMO
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm_CR View Post
+1

Exactly why I won't get one - if they can find a workaround for this to display on HUD INSTEAD of cluster, I'd get one

You can have either or....not both.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #19
RobbDubbs
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 F31

Quote:
+1

Curious as to why the navigation directions stop displaying on the HUD; Personally ordered my '19 F31 with the 6WB option and my navigation directions display on the HUD. Possibly they need to look at a vehicle with factory installed 6WB
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:40 AM   #20
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbDubbs View Post
Quote:
+1

Curious as to why the navigation directions stop displaying on the HUD; Personally ordered my '19 F31 with the 6WB option and my navigation directions display on the HUD. Possibly they need to look at a vehicle with factory installed 6WB
I believe this is due to idrive versions. I was told if I retrofitted NBT EVO (I think that's what it's called) with ID 5 or 6 then it'd display on both.
      07-20-2019, 02:22 AM   #21
bmrguy03
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i SULEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbDubbs View Post
Quote:
+1

I believe this is due to idrive versions. I was told if I retrofitted NBT EVO (I think that's what it's called) with ID 5 or 6 then it'd display on both.
This is true as that is what I did to my car and my HUD works flawlessly
Appreciate 0