F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Flat Top Jack Stands
Extreme Powerhouse

05-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #23
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

A little pricey, but if you already have Esco stands this is an option. Reverse Logic also has rectangular blocks that mate to Torin stands.

https://reverselogic.us/jack-stands/...ands-p35397927
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
chowser512025.00
      05-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post
A little pricey, but if you already have Esco stands this is an option. Reverse Logic also has rectangular blocks that mate to Torin stands.

https://reverselogic.us/jack-stands/...ands-p35397927

That's neat! I have a pair of ESCOs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #25
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Looking for the best combo of safety and value when it comes to getting my F30 off the ground to work under.

Already have a floor jack for the lifting part of the equation. And ramps for jobs where I dont need to remove the wheels.

The obvious answer is buying a set of Esco 10499 but at $60 a pop, thats quite an investment.

Was wondering what other solutions are out there for less than $60 per corner?

Of course... working with the plastic rectangle BMW lifting points is the most important part of my decision.

To get the Esco set it would be $255 all in. Seems like a lot.
It's not a lot. They're holding the car over you. They also will last for decades. They're cheap as fuck TBH. I have 4 of the short version and they're fucking awesome for BMWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
That's not how physics works though.

With any post jack if one fails or is moved out of the support position the weight will no longer be supported on that corner. The car will tip in that direction no matter the load rating of the other posts. Your grasping for straws here.

The extra strength margin is very welcome considering they separate you from getting crushed to death. I can't believe you guys are sweating $100 and acting like double the strength is not significant.

Downside of the Torins is they have a flat bottom and it's not that wide. The escos are a three point design (optimal since 3 points make a plane) and wider.

Last edited by WDE82; 05-01-2021 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #26
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Quote:
Looking for the best combo of safety and value when it comes to getting my F30 off the ground to work under.

Already have a floor jack for the lifting part of the equation. And ramps for jobs where I dont need to remove the wheels.

The obvious answer is buying a set of Esco 10499 but at $60 a pop, thats quite an investment.

Of course... working with the plastic rectangle BMW lifting points is the most important part of my decision.

It's not a lot. They're holding the car over you. They also will last for decades. They're cheap as fuck TBH. I have 4 of the short version and they're fucking awesome for BMWs.

Quote:

With any post jack if one fails or is moved out of the support position the weight will no longer be supported on that corner. The car will tip in that direction no matter the load rating of the other posts. Your grasping for straws here.

The extra strength margin is very welcome considering they separate you from getting crushed to death. I can't believe you guys are sweating $100 and acting like double the strength is not significant.

Downside of the Torins is they have a flat bottom and it's not that wide. The escos are a three point design (optimal since 3 points make a plane) and wider.
No one is arguing $100 for double the weight capacity. Buy why spend another $100 when 3x the necessary capacity is more than enough. The torins being 6x our curb weight doesn't mean they last twice as long. And the weight of the car doesn't fluctuate with enough magnitude for that delta to matter. Buying pricier doesn't always mean better nor that something cheaper is worse.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      05-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #27
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Who makes the jackstands you can lift with a jack then add the legs?

I think you are referring to Rennstand: https://safejacks.com/products/the-r...ck-single-unit Pricey, but I love the design. Max height is 16.6". They are supposedly making a set that will extend higher.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #28
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
Anyone have these? Looks like they will fit over the saddle or whatever it's called on the basic-ass Big Red jack stands I already have. Never tried to lift my F30 yet as it's just out of warranty (I use the stands on my old Volvo which has a stick axle rear and plenty of places to put them) and I want to install a new FMIC and CP.
      08-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #29
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Badger View Post
Anyone have these? Looks like they will fit over the saddle or whatever it's called on the basic-ass Big Red jack stands I already have. Never tried to lift my F30 yet as it's just out of warranty (I use the stands on my old Volvo which has a stick axle rear and plenty of places to put them) and I want to install a new FMIC and CP.
I have them. They're great. Use on Duralast stands
      08-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #30
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

No one is arguing $100 for double the weight capacity. Buy why spend another $100 when 3x the necessary capacity is more than enough. The torins being 6x our curb weight doesn't mean they last twice as long. And the weight of the car doesn't fluctuate with enough magnitude for that delta to matter. Buying pricier doesn't always mean better nor that something cheaper is worse.
It's not about life. It's about having tons of extra margin on manufacturing defects.
      08-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #31
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
I have them. They're great. Use on Duralast stands
Cool thx. Just ordered a set.
      08-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #32
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

It's not about life. It's about having tons of extra margin on manufacturing defects.
The car, once on stands does not grow or decrease in mass. From owner to owner the cars do not change in mass near the magnitudes that 3x or 6x curb weight matters.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #33
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

The car, once on stands does not grow or decrease in mass. From owner to owner the cars do not change in mass near the magnitudes that 3x or 6x curb weight matters.
I didn't say anything that implied that. I was obviously taking about jack stand manufacturing defects. Most have pretty shit weld quality with bad penetration.
      08-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #34
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I have four of these. The tops aren't flat, but they're not as curved as most, so they don't damage my hockey pucks. They're also higher than most, so you can lift the car high enough to comfortably work under it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:26 AM   #35
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

OP...for ramps, I use (2) 2x10s stacked on top of one another...and staggered...edges cut at 45 degrees

They work fine for driving up on the front, but if I need car level, I'll jack up side and place them under the tires, then lower. I'm small enough to get under and do oil at least (in an xDrive stock height).

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #36
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
I didn't say anything that implied that. I was obviously taking about jack stand manufacturing defects. Most have pretty shit weld quality with bad penetration.
He doesn't understand that the HF jackstands were recalled because they were made with worn out tooling and piss poor QC.

You get what you pay for.
Appreciate 1
WDE82814.50