F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > can oil change entered into idrive service history if done outside dealership?
ARMA SPEED

07-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

can oil change entered into idrive service history if done outside dealership?

i understand there is a reset maintenance button on the dashboard, but i want to know if i do my engine oil change at an independent shop, would they be able to enter the iDrive service history that an engine oil is done? or iDrive service history is only serviceable at dealership?

my iDrive is NBT.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

It will depend on whether the shop has access to the system or not!

Only the shop can tell you, not some random people on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
mk17
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
i understand there is a reset maintenance button on the dashboard, but i want to know if i do my engine oil change at an independent shop, would they be able to enter the iDrive service history that an engine oil is done? or iDrive service history is only serviceable at dealership?

my iDrive is NBT.

Thanks.
I asked my Indy about this recently and was told that the iDrive service history can only be updated with approved BMW software that BMW will allow under licence to connect to their Service Data mainframe.

My Indy has this but not all do. My understanding is that unfortunately there is no way to do this yourself even if you have ESYS, ISTA or similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It doesn't really matter. Save your receipts. Even if you do your own oil and filter changes the receipts for the oil and filters are accepted as proof of having done the service. The only reason for having service recorded by BMW is so when you go to a BMW dealer for service they can call up the service record. Once you're out of warranty you should go to an Indy anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
silencer2008
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i MSport

There are aftermarket softwares that you can use to inject service history done at independent shops. But if you bring the car in to BMW, it would remove those but they can be reinjected again.

This is what i do, a lot easier and keeps it clean. Just need an ENET cable
PM if you want the link to software.