F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Done speeding 82mph in 50mph just outside Bham
GetBMWParts

11-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Done speeding 82mph in 50mph just outside Bham

Hi all, my wife got caught speeding 82mph in a 50mph by a manned camera on the A452 just outside of Bham. Question I want to ask is how do you get hold of the photographic evidence the police have. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking the points for her, as she currently has 3 and has also been on speed awareness course while I luckily have 0.

Does the photographic evidence show the driver? I may take the rap for her as I'm concerned she may get a ban. She is a GP and needs her car for work and home visits to see patients and I feel it'll have a massive impact if they ban her. So is getting the photographic evidence easy from West Midlands police? Is it worth lieing and saying I was the driver? What is the likely punishment? Any good resources to look for info on this sort of stuff?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Hi all, my wife got caught speeding 82mph in a 50mph by a manned camera on the A452 just outside of Bham. Question I want to ask is how do you get hold of the photographic evidence the police have. The reason I ask is I'm thinking of taking the points for her, as she currently has 3 and has also been on speed awareness course while I luckily have 0.

Does the photographic evidence show the driver? I may take the rap for her as I'm concerned she may get a ban. She is a GP and needs her car for work and home visits to see patients and I feel it'll have a massive impact if they ban her. So is getting the photographic evidence easy from West Midlands police? Is it worth lieing and saying I was the driver? What is the likely punishment? Any good resources to look for info on this sort of stuff?
Lots of lawyers and such on the pistonheads legal board
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:

never mind your clean record if you take it you might get banned too!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

Good plan - go on a forum and confess that you plan to pervert the course of justice. Penalty for that is a lot more than points. Seems like your wife needs a reminder if that is three times in quick succession....

As I understand it, they don’t have to provide the picture as it’s evidence. Dangerous to play that card if you don’t know what picture shows....
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      11-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:

I really struggle to believe you've actually put this on a public forum.
Consequences for these actions? Easy... Prison for both of you. It's called perverting the course of justice.
The very fact you've typed what you have would nearly be enough for conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

Your wife has only herself to blame. Let's be right, it's not a minor error of judgement at that speed. She quite obviously has already demonstrated no regard for the speed limit laws.

So, it's tough. She's looking at a ban even if she had a clean licence.

The only chance of no ban is to be legally represented & plead 'special reasons'. This can only ever be done once. She'll probably escape the ban, but the fine will be horrific.

To answer your question re the evidence... A facing camera, mobile or fixed, will provide a clear picture, including the registration number & driver.
      11-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol, the 2 posts above mine went on while I was typing...
      11-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
harvs43
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X Drive

Quote:

Regardless of the photographic evidence if they catch you taking the points for your Mrs they will prosecute for perverting the course of justice and can bang you up !!

At that speed she isn't likely to get away with a fixed penalty either so I think you should consider that aspect as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Not worth taking the risk, manned cameras are face on. They regularly check, particularly if it's male vs female and easier to verify.

I was on a driver awareness course and a woman turned up when they were expecting a man, they made a couple of calls and within minutes they'd verified the photos.

She'll get a court summons with 6 points and a fine more than likely as the outcome, so 9 points and drive carefully. She wouldn't have to attend court, just plead guilty by post. If they considered a ban she could appear at another date and they'd never ban her if the public rely on her job.

If you took the rap, it'd be you in court and I dare say they're much more likely to check the photo in court than they would for a fixed penalty. You could end up locked up for trying to "help".
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
As I understand it, they don’t have to provide the picture as it’s evidence. Dangerous to play that card if you don’t know what picture shows....
Quite correct. Disclosure is the fact that photo/video evidence has been recorded & is available. Until trial, there is no obligation (or reason why) it should be provided.

Honestly... FORGET ANY CHANCE OF TRYING TO WRIGGLE OUT OF THIS.

Those consequences would be far worse.
      11-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Reminds me of the time my mum turned up to her speed awareness course an there was a woman who walked in to take the course only to find her husband was already in the classroom - they had both got done and hadn't told each other.

All my mother said was she hadn't see a domestic quite like it and my mother's had a proper public screaming divorce
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #11
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

She's looking at 6 points and a fairly big fine at the very least for 82 in a 50. You need to be below 76 in a 50 to get away with the standard offer of 3 pts and a £100 fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Hope they throw the book at your wife for it, there are so many twats on the roads in the west mids and she's one of them. As for putting on a public forum you plan to take the points for her to pervert the course of justice is just ad pathetic.
RustyBitz1573.50
      11-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Hope they throw the book at your wife for it, there are so many twats on the roads in the west mids and she's one of them. As for putting on a public forum you plan to take the points for her to pervert the course of justice is just ad pathetic.
Rentagoat being a little harsh there. No need for that buddy. I'm just thinking out aloud here what I'm sure many before and many after will have thought and considered, not to mention the 1000s that have actually done it. No need to get personal
Appreciate 1
aloo641.00
      11-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
That's a bit harsh calling his wife a twat rent-a-gob !
Yes 82 in a 50 is quite a bit over the limit and she deserves the 6 points, but ..it's not like she shot past a school In a built up area at 3:30pm doing 60mph (I've seen bellends do stuff like that), and I bet plenty of members on here have put their foot down on 50/60mph A roads at one time or another.

Agree the OP is a bit stupid for thinking of perverting the course of justice and posting it on here though!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Whether you all like it or not what I've mentioned above is probably widely done by many members of the public, I'm not saying it's right to do it, and there is a huge difference between thinking something and acting on it. I was merely after he opinions of you guys on the forums on how best to handle the situstion
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

It’s more than 30mph over the limit so could easily be a ban.

Also can’t believe you put this on a public forum. And your wife should know better, if that’s her job and she needs her car then she should be waaaaaay more careful about her driving. She’s letting herself and her patients down.
Appreciate 1
harvs43114.00
      11-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #17
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Whether you all like it or not what I've mentioned above is probably widely done by many members of the public, I'm not saying it's right to do it, and there is a huge difference between thinking something and acting on it. I was merely after he opinions of you guys on the forums on how best to handle the situstion
That it might be but they don’t go shouting about it
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

One thing you don't do is voice it on public forums. You taking the rap is a no no if caught you would face serious consequences.
Being a GP and pleading hardships will help so she may not get a ban but its the best option now this has been made public knowledge.
I would expect a heavy fine and a rise in insurance premiums but honesty is the best policy in this case.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #19
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep

Ok, I understand. I admit my mistake. Voicing it publicly on here was probably not the best idea. My wife is gonna have to take the heat on this one. Thanks for all the advice folks
Appreciate 1
aloo641.00
      11-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:
That's a bit harsh calling his wife a twat rent-a-gob !
Yes 82 in a 50 is quite a bit over the limit and she deserves the 6 points, but ..it's not like she shot past a school In a built up area at 3:30pm doing 60mph (I've seen bellends do stuff like that), and I bet plenty of members on here have put their foot down on 50/60mph A roads at one time or another.

Agree the OP is a bit stupid for thinking of perverting the course of justice and posting it on here though!
Doesn't make it right tho does it, I have an old school friend who is a traffic officer in the West Midlands he's suffered mentally for months following his first on scene attendance where someone thought oh it's just 30 and a bit over the limit, I'll be alright but they weren't. Yes we most probably all at one time or another have booted it on an empty motorway but that still doesn't make it right. What makes this worse is it's a GP more than likely had to work with a patient with life changing injury from a road accident yet still it's not made her change her mind. Then for hubby to try and take it for the team wtf she should take it she did it and if it is a ban it's a ban tough shit might make her think twice as obviously the first time caught hasn't.

BTW I love speed and Im no way a kill joy, I just prefer to drive at excess on a track and not in the daily driver on public roads. With the way track days are now and the reasonable cost involved there's just no excuse. Have lost a couple of really great friends and have seen too many lives affected either by speed themselves or innocently by speed and the actions others on the road to have sympathy.
      11-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

As I understand it, >30mph over the limit provides grounds for a ban. As your wife has already been on a speed awareness course, and has 3 points, and has now been caught well beyond the margins of error I think it's unlikely she's going to get any leniency from the police or Court.

In terms of taking the points for her, what does that say ? She doesn't need/want to think about her driving, you think it's justifiable, and you're both willing to risk a prison sentence for perverting the course of justice. Great idea. The police are not under any obligation to release the photo (and won't) unless you contest the NIP, assuming that one is issued. Then a nice clear photo of a female driver will be presented to the Court. Then you gulp, and change your address for a while.

I'm not trying to be holier than thou (I've had 3-6 points of my licence several times), but it sounds like it's about time your wife paid attention and took some responsibility for her actions.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Steady in with the drama. I can think of plenty 50mph roads that are plenty safe enough to do 80mph or more on.

That was certainly my point when I got stopped doing that on the M8 in Glasgow at 5am.... 4 lane motorway with no other cars!

They must have agreed as they let me off!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 4
Hooded1669.00
Wills28647.00
R0B1535.00
neilr45.50