F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20/N26 Build Thread!
Studio RSR

04-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #111
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhan19 View Post
Just installed the flex fuel plugs firstly people seem to have the NGK number wrong it is SILZKBR8F8S. This indicates it should be the same heat range as the stock N20 plugs but they appear to be colder plugs based on the design (see pics). I gapped the plugs to 0.024" seems to smooth out the power delivery and eliminated a rough spot at 3000 rpm. Anybody else use these plugs as yet?
Oh nice! I didn't know they had F series plugs now. They must have just came out. Really D, E, or F will all work roughly the same. So long as they are NGK SILZKBR8*8S plugs.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #112
jackdo
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328i | M3 wheels 18in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okhan19 View Post
Just installed the flex fuel plugs firstly people seem to have the NGK number wrong it is SILZKBR8F8S. This indicates it should be the same heat range as the stock N20 plugs but they appear to be colder plugs based on the design (see pics). I gapped the plugs to 0.024" seems to smooth out the power delivery and eliminated a rough spot at 3000 rpm. Anybody else use these plugs as yet?

its a good look, hopefully it makes good power!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #113
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i N26

Hey guys, new to the site but about 2 years into owning my first BMW. I have a 2016 328i N26. Im looking to keep modding it but i need opinions on where i should go from where im at currently.

My performance mods so far are Injen intake, ER CP/TiC/catless DP, NGK LI plugs at .018 gap, JB4 stage 2 tuner, and 7" VRSF stepped intercooler and Dinan Sport springs(1" drop all the way around and stiff as hell).

My visual mods are 19" MRR GF9 with 225 in front and 255 rear, carbon fiber M spoiler, blacked out all the chrome trim, black front grills, greyed out reflectors on front bumper. XPEL PPF on front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors. Then i had the whole car done in Ceramic Pro 9H. I have the M3 bumper, M series side skirts and rear bumper, just havnt had them primed and painted yet because im waiting on deciding exhaust and i will have to have to put XPEL PPF on the M3 front bumper. So all that is on hold until the ceramic coating is up for another recoat in a couple years.

My overall future addons are going to be exhaust(not sure which one yet), mid-pipe, BMS meth kit, GFB DV+, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, and eventually the MHI big turbo.

I currently run the car on Map 2 on the JB4 stage 2 and have for about 8k miles with no issues.

I was thinking my next step would be to swap out for the GFB DV+ and add the BMS meth kit. Will i need the Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP for my current mods plus the meth kit? ie. should i do all 3 at once? Buying all 3 at once wont break the bank, im just new to this scene and am curious what yall have experienced. Ive been lurking for a while now but i felt it was time i started getting some help with these more specific questions.

Let me know what yall think. Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by XAoPiLLz; 04-25-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #114
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAoPiLLz View Post
Hey guys, new to the site but about 2 years into owning my first BMW. I have a 2016 328i N26. Im looking to keep modding it but i need opinions on where i should go from where im at currently.

My performance mods so far are Injen intake, ER CP/TiC/catless DP, NGK LI plugs at .018 gap, JB4 stage 2 tuner, and 7" VRSF stepped intercooler and Dinan Sport springs(1" drop all the way around and stiff as hell).

My visual mods are 19" MRR GF9 with 225 in front and 255 rear, carbon fiber M spoiler, blacked out all the chrome trim, black front grills, greyed out reflectors on front bumper. XPEL PPF on front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors. Then i had the whole car done in Ceramic Pro 9H. I have the M3 bumper, M series side skirts and rear bumper, just havnt had them primed and painted yet because im waiting on deciding exhaust and i will have to have to put XPEL PPF on the M3 front bumper. So all that is on hold until the ceramic coating is up for another recoat in a couple years.

My overall future addons are going to be exhaust(not sure which one yet), mid-pipe, BMS meth kit, GFB DV+, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, and eventually the MHI big turbo.

I currently run the car on Map 2 on the JB4 stage 2 and have for about 8k miles with no issues.

I was thinking my next step would be to swap out for the GFB DV+ and add the BMS meth kit. Will i need the Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP for my current mods plus the meth kit? ie. should i do all 3 at once? Buying all 3 at once wont break the bank, im just new to this scene and am curious what yall have experienced. Ive been lurking for a while now but i felt it was time i started getting some help with these more specific questions.

This is how she sits right now:

we cant see anything
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #115
ilivas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428

Meth in of itself is high octane fuel and it adds quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #116
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobanks View Post
we cant see anything
i have the pics hosted on photobucket in a public album...ill just host on imgur and try.

imgur link to pics of my 328i:
View post on imgur.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas View Post
Meth in of itself is high octane fuel and it adds quite a bit.
i have run straight methanol on vehicles that were purpose built for the drag track but again this is my first dive into the BMW world. My question really is will the stock pump be able to keep up with fuel needs when i add the BMS meth kit. I know it has its own separate pump but is more 93 octane needed when methanol is also being added into the intake? Again, i ask this question because the only other times ive used methanol that was what the vehicle ran solely on. Thanks!

Am i safe to add the meth kit and GFB DV+ for now and when i add the MHI big turbo later i will add the LPFP?

Last edited by XAoPiLLz; 04-24-2018 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #117
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This is how she sits right now:

Welcome to the forums!

We are pretty similar in our builds and your end goal is pretty damn close to mine both in terms of brands and parts, with the exception of the meth kit.

My biggest suggestion for you right off the bat: ditch the JB4 as your tuner and go with a flash tune. Currently there are two, bootmod3 from PTF and Active Autowerkes. I always point to BM3, but take a look at both and let me know if you have questions or want clarification. Overall, getting a flash tune will be much better for your car in terms of safety and the power delivery will be higher and smoother. This isn't to say you can't keep the JB4 for meth delivery, but other than that, I can't recommend it.

My car is almost at the end of power-pushing performance mods, with rod bolts and a custom tune pushing more power being the end for me. I won't even get to use the full potential of my turbo. For you, to do both meth AND a MHI turbo AND an upgraded LPFP (I'm assuming for E85 mixes, because why else), is complete overkill. You could go different ways and I'd say go one of two ways: Go with a bigger turbo and LPFP with a E30/40 mix tune OR go with the bigger turbo and meth spraying. Both are good options, but I didn't personally want to run the meth lines, sprayer, etc. in the car. E85 also carries more EPG and burns cool enough. To clarify as well, you won't need the LPFP upgrade unless you're doing E85 mixes.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #118
ilivas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i have the pics hosted on photobucket in a public album...ill just host on imgur and try.

imgur link to pics of my 328i:
View post on imgur.com

i have run straight methanol on vehicles that were purpose built for the drag track but again this is my first dive into the BMW world. My question really is will the stock pump be able to keep up with fuel needs when i add the BMS meth kit. I know it has its own separate pump but is more 93 octane needed when methanol is also being added into the intake? Again, i ask this question because the only other times ive used methanol that was what the vehicle ran solely on. Thanks!

Am i safe to add the meth kit and GFB DV+ for now and when i add the MHI big turbo later i will add the LPFP?
A meth kid basically atomizes meth into the throttle body. It’s basically acting like an extra injector. If anything, it will lighten the load on your fuel system. If your injector duty cycle isn’t maxed now, it certainly won’t be with meth.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #119
ilivas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Welcome to the forums!

We are pretty similar in our builds and your end goal is pretty damn close to mine both in terms of brands and parts, with the exception of the meth kit.

My biggest suggestion for you right off the bat: ditch the JB4 as your tuner and go with a flash tune. Currently there are two, bootmod3 from PTF and Active Autowerkes. I always point to BM3, but take a look at both and let me know if you have questions or want clarification. Overall, getting a flash tune will be much better for your car in terms of safety and the power delivery will be higher and smoother. This isn't to say you can't keep the JB4 for meth delivery, but other than that, I can't recommend it.

My car is almost at the end of power-pushing performance mods, with rod bolts and a custom tune pushing more power being the end for me. I won't even get to use the full potential of my turbo. For you, to do both meth AND a MHI turbo AND an upgraded LPFP (I'm assuming for E85 mixes, because why else), is complete overkill. You could go different ways and I'd say go one of two ways: Go with a bigger turbo and LPFP with a E30/40 mix tune OR go with the bigger turbo and meth spraying. Both are good options, but I didn't personally want to run the meth lines, sprayer, etc. in the car. E85 also carries more EPG and burns cool enough. To clarify as well, you won't need the LPFP upgrade unless you're doing E85 mixes.

Meth has a cooling effect on your intake air temps as well as it keeps your valves clean. This is much, much better for your motor. I run both e85 and meth on my car at the same time. Meth is boost activated so you also only use a very little amount once you cross a certain boost threshold ie 15psi or when you’re thrashing on the car. As a daily driver, I was only using a gallon of meth a month.

Most decent meth kits have their own progressive controllers that will work with a reflash, so no need for JB4.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #120
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the forums!

Thank you! That's what I needed to know. I will be going the meth and bigger turbo route as that is what I'm more familiar with. My purpose built track car is a back half 92 fox body with a 500ci small block with twin 96mm turbos running straight methanol. Another reason I want to go the meth route is i already buy it by the barrel for my fox body anyway.

I went ahead and ordered the GFB DV+ today so I'll install it this weekend or next depending on my schedule. May go ahead and order the meth kit tomorrow as well...the mod bug has bitten me again recently and i want a bit more power out of my daily.

Thanks again for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #121
edm0nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013

Quote:
Welcome to the forums!

Are you using the N26 Beta version of BM3?

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/coll...5i-x3-x4-x5-m2
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #122
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Meth has a cooling effect on your intake air temps as well as it keeps your valves clean. This is much, much better for your motor. I run both e85 and meth on my car at the same time. Meth is boost activated so you also only use a very little amount once you cross a certain boost threshold ie 15psi or when you’re thrashing on the car. As a daily driver, I was only using a gallon of meth a month.

Most decent meth kits have their own progressive controllers that will work with a reflash, so no need for JB4.
That's on your C7, right? I can definitely see that working on cars making much more but for us guys who can't make more than 300-350whp without building, it's not worth it IMO. Could you do it on the N20/6? Sure, but it's a lot of complexity for little to no gains on one side of the house.

Quote:
Thank you! That's what I needed to know. I will be going the meth and bigger turbo route as that is what I'm more familiar with. My purpose built track car is a back half 92 fox body with a 500ci small block with twin 96mm turbos running straight methanol. Another reason I want to go the meth route is i already buy it by the barrel for my fox body anyway.

I went ahead and ordered the GFB DV+ today so I'll install it this weekend or next depending on my schedule. May go ahead and order the meth kit tomorrow as well...the mod bug has bitten me again recently and i want a bit more power out of my daily.

Thanks again for the advice!
Anytime! The meth route and ethanol route are both great ones. Definitely ready to see more of the meth running guys up in the 300WHP+ range for our cars so we can compare and truly weigh a pro/con and cost/benefit for the two paths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm0nd View Post
Are you using the N26 Beta version of BM3?

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/coll...5i-x3-x4-x5-m2
Yup! Technically all of the engines are in "beta", but we're on the back-end of that now. OTS maps are out for all supported engines and refinements are going pretty quickly for those with issues.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #123
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bunkerj,does the BM3 support tuning for the BMS meth kit as well? If so ill just end up buying the BM3, use the OTS tunes for now with my current mods and meth and sell the JB4 Stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #124
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Im going to be getting a tune from Morendi Tuning from russia I believe. Map 6 custom tune jb4 bef with bootmod3 and a regualr bootmod3 tune they provide. Hopefully all goes good. Also ACF performance is looking into the e30 tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #125
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bunkerj,does the BM3 support tuning for the BMS meth kit as well? If so ill just end up buying the BM3, use the OTS tunes for now with my current mods and meth and sell the JB4 Stage 2.
For a BMS kit, it looks like you need JB4, unless ilivas knows of any controllers that integrate with the BMS kit. As for BM3, I'm clarifying with them at this time to give you a straight answer, but I'm going to assume you'll need a custom of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegov209 View Post
Im going to be getting a tune from Morendi Tuning from russia I believe. Map 6 custom tune jb4 bef with bootmod3 and a regualr bootmod3 tune they provide. Hopefully all goes good. Also ACF performance is looking into the e30 tune as well.
Nice! Should be a good combo.

Appreciate 1
Diegov209164.50
      04-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #126
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Checked with PTF and they okay'd the use of meth with their Stage 2 OTS maps. As for which one, 91 or 93, you should choose whichever one you are going to have in the tank. The tune will compensate during the time of meth spraying. For meth controllers, there is currently no interaction with meth controllers through the BM3 platform. There are plans, but in the meantime you'll need a controller like JB4 or something else.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #127
ilivas
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Checked with PTF and they okay'd the use of meth with their Stage 2 OTS maps. As for which one, 91 or 93, you should choose whichever one you are going to have in the tank. The tune will compensate during the time of meth spraying. For meth controllers, there is currently no interaction with meth controllers through the BM3 platform. There are plans, but in the meantime you'll need a controller like JB4 or something else.
The meth controller I use is separate of the actual tune done in the ECU. It’s basically a progressive controller and it progressively ramps up the meth as boost increases. It has no interaction at all with the ECU. Then the fueling, timing, etc is done through the tune on the ECU and it has no control over the meth. You just tune around the controller if that makes sense.

Controlling with a JB4 is fine, but it’s really the cost that would keep me away. You can get an entire meth kit and progressive controller for the cost of a JB4 which is essentially the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #128
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The meth controller I use is separate of the actual tune done in the ECU. It’s basically a progressive controller and it progressively ramps up the meth as boost increases. It has no interaction at all with the ECU. Then the fueling, timing, etc is done through the tune on the ECU and it has no control over the meth. You just tune around the controller if that makes sense.

Controlling with a JB4 is fine, but it’s really the cost that would keep me away. You can get an entire meth kit and progressive controller for the cost of a JB4 which is essentially the same thing.
Well, there you have it lol. Hope that all helps.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #129
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for checking into that for me. I would run the 93 octane OTS map on the bm3 as that's what I put in the tank. I'll probably just go meth and GFB DV+ for now. And finally make a decision on exhaust. Probably pick up the bm3 later this year when I get the MHI Big Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #130
take1step
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M340ix 2020

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for checking into that for me. I would run the 93 octane OTS map on the bm3 as that's what I put in the tank. I'll probably just go meth and GFB DV+ for now. And finally make a decision on exhaust. Probably pick up the bm3 later this year when I get the MHI Big Turbo.
My setup is the same you're trying to get to. I went with Pure stage 2 with BMS meth kit. I had installed the meth kit before upgrading the turbo, so I was running the JB4 as a boost controller and meth controller/FSB (failsafe box).

Once you upgrade your turbo, you absolutely need a back end flash (BM3 or other), to regulate fuel ratios and ignition timing. Since I had the BMS meth kit, I stacked the JB4 (with EWG harness) with my BEF, it ran beautifully. If you go with a snow performance kit (for meth), it eliminates the need for a JB4 but you don't get the FSB the JB4 provides.

Regardless, I was pushed the engine to far, boosting 28 psi (anything above 24 psi is not safe), and ended up having a ringland failure in cyl 1. If you're going this route, keep boost around 23-24psi, unless you plan on building your engine (like I'm in the process of doing, should be back on the road in 2-3 weeks).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #131
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by take1step View Post
unless you plan on building your engine (like I'm in the process of doing, should be back on the road in 2-3 weeks).
So ready for this... lol

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #132
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by take1step View Post
My setup is the same you're trying to get to. I went with Pure stage 2 with BMS meth kit. I had installed the meth kit before upgrading the turbo, so I was running the JB4 as a boost controller and meth controller/FSB (failsafe box).

Once you upgrade your turbo, you absolutely need a back end flash (BM3 or other), to regulate fuel ratios and ignition timing. Since I had the BMS meth kit, I stacked the JB4 (with EWG harness) with my BEF, it ran beautifully. If you go with a snow performance kit (for meth), it eliminates the need for a JB4 but you don't get the FSB the JB4 provides.

Regardless, I was pushed the engine to far, boosting 28 psi (anything above 24 psi is not safe), and ended up having a ringland failure in cyl 1. If you're going this route, keep boost around 23-24psi, unless you plan on building your engine (like I'm in the process of doing, should be back on the road in 2-3 weeks).
Thanks! Yeah, thats what ive been doing, Map 2 puts it at 23psi so i am gonna do map 2 and meth kit for now and add the GFB DV+ next weekend because its not coming in til tuesday of next week. I was thinking since i had it already i would just keep the jb4 for meth control only (i know, very expensive meth controller..o well) once i get the BM3 and MHI big turbo later this year. Then ill be happy there....at least for a while...LOL

Out of curiosity what methanol settings were you running in your JB4? And what was your mix/ or just straight methanol? like i said in previous posts anytime ive messed with methanol that was what the engine purely ran on and i was using a Haltech to manage everything. Thanks in advance!

16 Mineral Grey F30: Injen CAI | ER CP/TiC/Catless DP | VSRF 7" Intercooler | NGK LI Plugs | BM3 running PTF stage 2 93 AGG Tune | BMS Methanol Kit | GFB DV+ | AWE Quad Exhaust Suite | Dinan Sport Springs | 19" MRR GF9 with 225 front and 255 rear | M4 CF Spoiler | VividScreen 8.8"

Last edited by XAoPiLLz; 04-27-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0