F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > New car purchase - service history query
ARMA SPEED

11-05-2022, 07:01 PM   #1
7hggy
Registered
Rep
Drives: n/a

New car purchase - service history query

Looking at a F34 335D from a car dealer in the West Midlands, very happy with the price and condition, but wanted to understand how it had been maintained.

iDrive had 2 services logged, both in 2020 at 32,000 miles and 39,000 miles.

Car is now at 64,000 miles (+25,000). I was surprised to see all the serviceable items green on iDrive with most things thousands of miles away (I think oil was 7,000 miles).

Dealer had no paperwork for the services on the iDrive or those before and no evidence of any other servicing or maintenance subsequent to 2020. He had sent it to a BMW dealer for a healthcheck prior to putting it on sale, with everything green except rear brake pads.

This was a car advertised will full service history. Am I wrong in expecting more?

I walked away as I am used to sending my diesel Honda Civic for a service annually at a Honda dealer (10,000 miles). These includes changing oil and oil filter annually (10,000 miles), fuel filter biennially (20,000) and air filter triennially (30,000). I have paper records so I could easily find out the last time anything was changed e.g. Pollen filter, Air filter, Fuel filter, Oil filter, Oil change, Engine coolant, Transmission fluid, Brake fluid, Battery etc

Last time I purchased a car was 10 years ago so perhaps maintenance has changed? Happy to be educated or for any advice.

Last edited by 7hggy; 11-05-2022 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
BBmatic
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT

Hi
Around 18 months ago I bought a 2014 F34 (petrol 2.8i) on the Approved Used scheme and service history wise it was much the same. Nothing at all on paper. Regular services shown in very scant form on the on-board computer.
The vehicle you refer to has had some mileage added over that recent period, but those could well have been motorway miles not adding too much wear & tear to (eg) suspension parts - speaking for myself after that period of (up till next service in Feb 23) maintenance-free ownership, I would focus more on the overall condition, inside outside and underneath, than I would dwell on the lack of paper service records. Servicing is carried out a bit differently by Dealerships nowadays.
Mainly though I will recommend the F34 as an excellent family all rounder. I don't think I could find a better all rounder for exactly my use / needs. Back seat legroom and cavernous boot the main attractions.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

iDrive only stores service information put there by a dealer or an indy with the necessary software. If someone does their own service work, as I have for five years, they can't enter it into iDrive or the fob, but they can advance the interval until the next service is due on those items displayed on the control display under the Vehicle info>Vehicle status>Service required. If items on that list are shown with the next service due thousands of miles or a number of months/years distant it's because someone made a manual entry when they last performed said service.
Appreciate 0