F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Struggling with Brake Pad options for P337a cars
ARMA SPEED

01-04-2024, 04:57 PM   #1
heco94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 435i X-drive

I intend to make a jump from autocrossing to HPDE's, I plan to do 4 track days in April alone and wanted to step up my brake pads to something more serious. I'm not ready or willing to switch between dedicated street and track pads, its simply more effort than I'm willing to exert. All I want is to ensure i have consistent braking through these several days and then be able to drive it in the cold to work. What I'm looking for is a more moderate-track pad that is daily driving streetable (a la Hawk HP+, Ferodo DS2500, Carbotech XP8).

As I have a nonsport brake car, P337 brakes, there are front axle options but no rear axle options. I've searched the forums and no one seems to have asked about this in particular. Carbotech doesnt make matching front and rear pads at all for this car, as far as I can find, at this point im thinking of running XP10s in the front and XP8 in the rear. I've considered running HP+ in the front and HPS 5.0 in the back but that seems more disproportionate. I dont want my braking dynamics upset but people often run mismatching pads in other cars; I'd just like to see if anyone has any insight prior to jumping on something.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:28 PM   #2
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

A lot can depend on the venue for braking requirements. I used power stop sport pads at the start.. But you should be ok with factory pads to start. You will probably start in the novice group as a newbie so you shouldn't be pushing the brakes. Post the venue and maybe you can get some feedback on the braking requirements specific to that track.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 10:47 AM   #3
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heco94 View Post
I intend to make a jump from autocrossing to HPDE's, I plan to do 4 track days in April alone and wanted to step up my brake pads to something more serious. I'm not ready or willing to switch between dedicated street and track pads, its simply more effort than I'm willing to exert. All I want is to ensure i have consistent braking through these several days and then be able to drive it in the cold to work. What I'm looking for is a more moderate-track pad that is daily driving streetable (a la Hawk HP+, Ferodo DS2500, Carbotech XP8).

As I have a nonsport brake car, P337 brakes, there are front axle options but no rear axle options. I've searched the forums and no one seems to have asked about this in particular. Carbotech doesnt make matching front and rear pads at all for this car, as far as I can find, at this point im thinking of running XP10s in the front and XP8 in the rear. I've considered running HP+ in the front and HPS 5.0 in the back but that seems more disproportionate. I dont want my braking dynamics upset but people often run mismatching pads in other cars; I'd just like to see if anyone has any insight prior to jumping on something.
Do you run at FLR events?

I tried HP+ on the front of my car and they glazed over and lost alot of the cold bite that was there initially...still worked but the pads seemed overwhelmed.

Ive had the DS2500 in the back for lapping and they faired much better but also ran very hot...there was this white powdery residue at the edge of the pads after a few sessions. Just so you are aware, i converted my rear calipers to the 2 piston units from a 235i...It made a very big difference on track.

ive used carbotech on my camaro...once they are broken in, its an awesome pad. you will not be disappointed. I believe i ran the xp12s and they were very streetable.

I went pfc11s on the f30 just because they handle the heat and were easy to obtain.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00