F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > X drive ftw
Studio RSR

02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #177
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I'm going to pretend you didn't just say weather forecasts these days are accurate and dependable

They don't come out of no where, but life goes on, you can't always sit home and wait for it when they don't all ever come, and they don't always start when they're "supposed to," etc
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #178
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I'm going to pretend you didn't just say weather forecasts these days are accurate and dependable

Weren't schools in your neighborhood closed on Friday, the decision having been made on Thursday? On Thursday in some states Governors were telling people they will not be allowed on the roads on Friday after noon. Some flights were cancelled on Thursday that were due to arrive on Friday. Iro major storms, I think they get these right and not only I depend on these reports to make decisions.

Rain is what they get wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #179
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

This was a big one they got right, no doubt about it.. But they still get plenty of snow storms wrong too. More over estimated than under, but it's easy to shrug off smaller storms and end up getting caught in one. Think about worse winters we've had where it snows seemingly every week. People still need to go to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #180
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
This was a big one they got right, no doubt about it.. But they still get plenty of snow storms wrong too. More over estimated than under, but it's easy to shrug off smaller storms and end up getting caught in one. Think about worse winters we've had where it snows seemingly every week. People still need to go to work.
God has spoilt me I guess, I have forgotten about those winters
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #181
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The real issue is being prepared in the event you're already out on the road when the weather turns crappy and the roads go to hell. Having the luxury of the option to just stay put and wait it out is just that, a luxury. Do you think all of the cars stuck on the LIE during the storm would have gotten stuck in the first place if they had winter tires?

The bottom line is that you need to be ready for anything. You need to be certain you'll be ready for anything and that the car will respond if you need to react to a situation unfolding in front of you.

Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
This is exactly the argument for driving no faster than the speed limit. I remain perplexed that such an imperative is given by some to always having a tenacious grip on the road, while other posters are boasting about powering up to fly at fantastic speeds, which also shaves safety margins razor thin or worse, without getting the same lecture.

This board seems to have a split personality.

Many more BMW crashes come from speed than ice. I enjoy ice skating on slippery tires from time to time, and have never hit anything, and think common sense can deal with ice and slick tires as well as reasonably excessive speeds, and can obviate the need for winter tires most of the time.
You keep saying this John but nobody on this thread has talked about their tuned car and blowing by everyone. Other threads...yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #182
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

Okay let me get this right...Let's buy a 50-60k car and throw a bunch of cosmetic and performance upgrades on it but cheap out when it comes to winter tires? lol. With xDrive you can use your tires for more than 2 seasons. Get a reputable set of tires (Blizzaks) for a $1,000 and use them over the life of a standard lease. I'm sure that $250-$350 a year in tires isn't going to match your insurance deductible, you trying to find a new insurance company, legal issues tied to driving with improper tires for conditions, or medical bills when you drive off the road or through a red light and get plowed by on coming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #183
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

The problem is people write posts wishing others a certain death, turn around and say you are a murderer for driving on summers in the winter.

Facts are:
-OP lives in an area where for the past winters, there has been minimal snow, or when they has been snow, its cleared within 24 hours
-OP has no desire to drive in snow and is willing to park the car for as long as the roads have snow
- OP is not leasing and is aware that the tires will need to be changed.
- Snow is forecast well in advance and there is enough time to make calm collected decisions on when to drive or park. After the snow storm has passed you can find an empty parking lot and do donuts, this is serious fun BTW, especially on the summers

No need to attack OP, just state your experience and lets all learn from one another.

I am not going to get winters, its an overkill. Let me enjoy my taxes at work as my Governor clears my roads for me

Last edited by 300hp; 02-13-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #184
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Let me enjoy my taxes at work as my Governor clears my roads for me
I don't think Christie eats snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #185
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #186
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Best post in the thread. But I'll bet he does...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #187
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
AWD is enabling acceleration in a straight line. AWD does not help at all with traction, cornering or stopping. You are at the mercy of summer tires.
Oh, I don't know about that...AWD certainly helps with traction and cornering. However, summer tires are just so bad in the snow that even the best AWD cannot sufficiently compensate for it. And of course, AWD does not to help you stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #188
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
Oh, I don't know about that...AWD certainly helps with traction and cornering. However, summer tires are just so bad in the snow that even the best AWD cannot sufficiently compensate for it. And of course, AWD does not to help you stop.
Totally agree

2 scenarios

AWD + Summer tires= Great traction

AWD + Summer tires= Death

Due to nature alone, in the past couple of winters, snow has accumulated for a total of say 2 weeks per year. Due to Chris Cristie's appetite for snow, snow is cleared and reduces the 2 weeks of snow accumulation to say one week per year.

Lets revisit that equation again

AWD + Summer tires= Great traction [51 weeks]

AWD + Summer tires = Death [1 week]

Why does death not happen

Car parked in garage = [1 Week]

You can change the numbers in [] to your liking
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #189
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Totally agree

2 scenarios

AWD + Summer tires= Great traction

AWD + Summer tires= Death

Due to nature alone, in the past couple of winters, snow has accumulated for a total of say 2 weeks per year. Due to Chris Cristie's appetite for snow, snow is cleared and reduces the 2 weeks of snow accumulation to say one week per year.

Lets revisit that equation again

AWD + Summer tires= Great traction [51 weeks]

AWD + Summer tires = Death [1 week]

Why does death not happen

Car parked in garage = [1 Week]

You can change the numbers in [] to your liking
I can't tell where you are an idiot, a troll or just trying to get us riled up. 3-4 months of the year the air temp and roads are COLD. Compare stopping distance. Youre an idiot. Out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #190
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
I can't tell where you are an idiot, a troll or just trying to get us riled up. 3-4 months of the year the air temp and roads are COLD. Compare stopping distance. Youre an idiot. Out.
I succesfully isolated your single crazy argument about air temp. BTW its 41F right now in the middle of winter. Have you watched Formula 1 racing before. What do they do before the race? They take a lap to warm up their tires. In other words, tires warm up as there are driven.

I have stated numerous times that I am from NJ, as shown here

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim...jhisttemp.html

average temps have been above freezing every month of the year for the past 7 years.

And here are statistics for average snow days, about 14 days

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...l-snowfall.php

My Governor takes care of the white staff from the roads, lets say half of those days.

So your statistics apply to you not me. You constantly fail to recognize that I am not in Canada, I am in NJ. And I can park my car for that 1 week there is no snow, although this year its only be one day.

Thanks for you post though:lol :

Last edited by 300hp; 02-14-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #191
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quite honestly this thread has been flogged 10 ways to hell. Apparently driving judiciously/choosing not to drive when it really snows instead of going for winter tires is a bigger sin than speeding, insane modding, driving while on cellphone/eating, or just about anything else to this crowd.

Just for the whole "it doesn't matter if you don't drive in the snow, the cold will still make you dangerous blah blah blah argument":

As I said before, I can stop faster doing 70 on my summer tires in 35 degree weather than you can going 90 on your winters. So anyone else who wants to harp on this without being a total hypocrite will first have to honestly tell themselves that they never speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #192
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi
Quite honestly this thread has been flogged 10 ways to hell. Apparently driving judiciously/choosing not to drive when it really snows instead of going for winter tires is a bigger sin than speeding, insane modding, driving while on cellphone/eating, or just about anything else to this crowd.

Just for the whole "it doesn't matter if you don't drive in the snow, the cold will still make you dangerous blah blah blah argument":

As I said before, I can stop faster doing 70 on my summer tires in 35 degree weather than you can going 90 on your winters. So anyone else who wants to harp on this without being a total hypocrite will first have to honestly tell themselves that they never speed.
I am now wondering if I even need awd in this region. Lol

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #193
RDM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
LOL. Oh no you didn't... End of part 1

Quote:
Begin Part 2...Go!
      02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #194
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Don't argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King
      02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #195
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

OK I'll bite - no you don't need awd, especially in NJ!
I've driven rwd cars as long as I've been driving (a long time...) and many of them were equipped with summer performance tires. With planning and careful driving I've gotten stuck exactly twice. Once parked on ice at a restaurant (the waiters pushed me out) and once on an icy sloped on-ramp after being forced to stop at the bottom by a traffic light (the kind people stuck behind me gave me a push). Both times the tires were summer performance and if I learned one thing from those experiences, if it's a daily driver you have to rely on when it may snow, summer tires really are not a good idea.

The Friday of the blizzard I had to work late. My current rwd 335 with all-seasons had no trouble on the slippery and hilly but plowed roads. Made it all the way home only to be confronted with the inevitable pile of snow in front of my driveway, which I blasted through only to get stuck due to deep snow. Poor beemer spent the night in the cold. Yes, awd probably would have dragged me those last few feet into my garage.

I guess my point is I choose rwd in an area where it actually does snow occasionally and I may have no choice but to drive because I prefer less weight, less complication, less expense and better steering feel and fuel economy AND I actually ENJOY those few days where winter driving becomes a real challenge. I have however, definitely given up on summer-only performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #196
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xG35c
OK I'll bite - no you don't need awd, especially in NJ!
I've driven rwd cars as long as I've been driving (a long time...) and many of them were equipped with summer performance tires. With planning and careful driving I've gotten stuck exactly twice. Once parked on ice at a restaurant (the waiters pushed me out) and once on an icy sloped on-ramp after being forced to stop at the bottom by a traffic light (the kind people stuck behind me gave me a push). Both times the tires were summer performance and if I learned one thing from those experiences, if it's a daily driver you have to rely on when it may snow, summer tires really are not a good idea.

The Friday of the blizzard I had to work late. My current rwd 335 with all-seasons had no trouble on the slippery and hilly but plowed roads. Made it all the way home only to be confronted with the inevitable pile of snow in front of my driveway, which I blasted through only to get stuck due to deep snow. Poor beemer spent the night in the cold. Yes, awd probably would have dragged me those last few feet into my garage.

I guess my point is I choose rwd in an area where it actually does snow occasionally and I may have no choice but to drive because I prefer less weight, less complication, less expense and better steering feel and fuel economy AND I actually ENJOY those few days where winter driving becomes a real challenge. I have however, definitely given up on summer-only performance tires.
Exactly, enjoy your set up man. Make love not war. See y'all l8r. It's valentines

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #197
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
It appears you've answered your own question.

I spent the better part of a winter working on a project in Mountaintop PA (Poconos) many years ago. It snowed every other day it seemed. More than once I was driving untreated/unplowed mountain roads with 6"+ on the ground. I was driving a '95 Z/28 with about 450whp.

So, you never really "need" all wheel drive...with proper tires.
Appreciate 0