F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
Studio RSR

05-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #309
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Can anyone advise if it's possible to leave the newly installed oem wifi cable tucked behind the head unit ? Rather than routing to the idrive controller?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #310
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

mine is just underneath and it seems to work fine
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #311
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

One Question for those that had the Carplay retrofitted. Since the original certificates are rewritten to add the Carplay, what happens to those that still have a valid map, live, apps and so on active? Will they remain active after the CarPlay installation?
Theres some various reports online that people lost their active map updates and connected drive apps since Apple CarPlay installation. Can anyone confirm this, as Id hate to lose free map updates before I go ahead with carplay?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #312
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
One Question for those that had the Carplay retrofitted. Since the original certificates are rewritten to add the Carplay, what happens to those that still have a valid map, live, apps and so on active? Will they remain active after the CarPlay installation?
Theres some various reports online that people lost their active map updates and connected drive apps since Apple CarPlay installation. Can anyone confirm this, as Id hate to lose free map updates before I go ahead with carplay?

Thanks
You should not lose your map updates, that is not controlled via FSC's - Apps and Map updates are done over the air via provisioning.
      05-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #313
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
You should not lose your map updates, that is not controlled via FSC's - Apps and Map updates are done over the air via provisioning.
I have a carplay activation .bin file that works for a short time BEFORE BMW updated the car software and rendered the USB installation method useless.

The 3rd party provider of activation offered to fix it when a solution was found. He said he'd do it for free... yet when i went back months later he said i had to pay AGAIN. Shonky business practices for sure.

Reached out again to person who made these promises.... and is ignoring my emails. Don't use usbcoding.com they are basically theives.

Is there anyway to extract the FSC from that bin so i can reuse it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #314
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Retro fitting makes this better then the new ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #315
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
I have a carplay activation .bin file that works for a short time BEFORE BMW updated the car software and rendered the USB installation method useless.

The 3rd party provider of activation offered to fix it when a solution was found. He said he'd do it for free... yet when i went back months later he said i had to pay AGAIN. Shonky business practices for sure.

Reached out again to person who made these promises.... and is ignoring my emails. Don't use usbcoding.com they are basically theives.

send me a PM I should be able to help.
      05-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #316
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Guys what required for a full screen car play?

I have id5 and -16 ilevels. They say Im only able to get half screen car play?

If the levels were updated will I get full car play then?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #317
Dino5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Guys, I would like to activate carplay on my 2018 340i. I'm due for my first service in November of this year. What do I need to do prior to going to my service appointment in order not to lose the carplay activation?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #318
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post

I got the same thing done but not by the company you stated. What happened to me is the dealer did an update and said it didn’t work and caused a problem with an ECU and just gave me back the car with no Navigation now I have lost the Car play activation I did via FSC code but also lost my factory navigation its greyed out. If someone can resolve it let me know and contact me please.
      06-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #319
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Steve @ codemybimmer with a game changer! Today we successfully coded my car to activate CarPlay. The kicker is my car is an entrynav headunit that came with the 6.5 inch basic screen.

I retrofitted the screen a bit ago with one purchased off of eBay used out of a 330i. No touch screen, but honestly I would have to reach a good bit to touch the screen, and I hate unsightly fingerprints all over my screens.

I have enhanced blue tooth, wireless charging and WiFi hotspot from the factory and that's it.

I'm guessing one might need to only code enhanced BT and add a WiFi antenna to get this working if you didn't already have it? Definitely worth a shot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      06-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #320
euckersw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (2018)

Wibbles - I'd like to activate CarPlay on my car but when I PM you I receive an error. Please let me know how to contact you. Thanks.

-Scott
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #321
Chuckycarp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
If you find someone in leic i’d be interested too!!
Me 2!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #322
barneyrubble
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm looking for someone who can uninstall carplay from my car.

From my understanding the Headunit needs to be flashed and an FSC repair kit needs to be installed.

I was originally in touch with wibbles but my understanding is that he is not doing any of this work at the moment.

Can anyone else do this work? I'm based in south east london if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #323
guigui92350
Private
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Ultimate

Can you tell me why do you want uninstall carplay ? Is it so useless and limited ?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #324
barneyrubble
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui92350 View Post
Can you tell me why do you want uninstall carplay ? Is it so useless and limited ?
It’s not great to be honest. But the main reason is the software updates. When bmw update your cars software it will break the head unit
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:40 AM   #325
guigui92350
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
It’s not great to be honest. But the main reason is the software updates. When bmw update your cars software it will break the head unit
You mean if carplay has been activated by coding ?
Because I'm in discussion to code carplay on my 2018 F20.
When BMW need to to some update ? (I don't have the navigation on my HU so not sure I need some update along the time)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #326
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

is that really true that it breaks the head unit when updated? I believe it just wipes the carplay option from the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #327
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer222 View Post
is that really true that it breaks the head unit when updated? I believe it just wipes the carplay option from the car?
I can’t say for certain, but from what I’ve read, it’s seems it’s people that have changed the FA/VO that are having problems when the dealer does updates. I think the BMW system is expecting the FA on the car to be a specific value. If the FA on the car doesn’t match, it upsets the BMW system.

I suspect that putting the FA back to standard would allow the dealer to fix things, but charging for a new unit seems more common.

I don’t know how CarPlay is added, but if the FA doesn’t change, then you’re probably going to be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #328
guigui92350
Private
Rep

What is FA/VO ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #329
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui92350 View Post
What is FA/VO ?
I don’t recall what FA stands for, but VO is short for vehicle order. FA and VO are basically the same thing. It’s kind of like the DNA of your car. Every option on the car has an option code, and the VO is generated from all the options.

When the car is built, the VO is obviously known by BMW. If you were to add any non standard options, you update the VO, so the car knows it now has that option fitted.

This is fine, until BMW plug into your car, and the expected VO is different from the actual VO read from the car. I’m suggesting this is why people are having problems.

Some options can be added by FDL coding, but this doesn’t change the VO. These changes will simply be reverted to standard by any BMW updates and apart from being an irritation, don’t cause any problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #330
guigui92350
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I don’t recall what FA stands for, but VO is short for vehicle order. FA and VO are basically the same thing. It’s kind of like the DNA of your car. Every option on the car has an option code, and the VO is generated from all the options.

When the car is built, the VO is obviously known by BMW. If you were to add any non standard options, you update the VO, so the car knows it now has that option fitted.

This is fine, until BMW plug into your car, and the expected VO is different from the actual VO read from the car. I’m suggesting this is why people are having problems.

Some options can be added by FDL coding, but this doesn’t change the VO. These changes will simply be reverted to standard by any BMW updates and apart from being an irritation, don’t cause any problems.
Crystal clear, thanks!
Appreciate 0