F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HK nightmare (option 688) technical problems
Studio RSR

11-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
austinm4x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

HK nightmare (option 688) technical problems

Install and problems discussed below.

Had a JL W7 / JL 1000/1 installed. Utilized TechnicPnP wiring harness with LOC + ASD (active sound device) bypass system.

After installation, everything works. Audio plays perfectly and all is good. I drive away from the sound shop and within 2 minutes I get a "No warning tones" message on the screen. All sound goes off, a loud ring tone comes through the speakers, and I smell a burning smell from the rear tweeter. I go home and turn off car for a few hours. Come back and audio is all working again, but still there is a burning smell (I believe this was caused by the Active Sound somehow, when the car was in Sport Plus the burning would smell stronger, barely smells in Efficient mode). I believe this is because the active sound device utilizes the back speakers the most. But then again this is just stuff I read online, I don't know any of this for a fact.

Few days later, all 4 rear speakers no longer work (all the other speakers still work and play audio). Today I was back at the sound shop, we put everything back to stock wiring and removed harness/LOC/ASD. The rear speakers still don't work. Also, only 1 of the speakers has a burnt smell (and ironically this speaker worked in our test I describe next). Sound shop ran some kind of test where they stuck a little pin into the connector and the speaker gives off a beeeep sound. Out of the 4 "broken speakers" we were only able to get sound out of the passenger side mid size rear speaker, but not the tweeter, and on the driver side, sound only came from the tweeter, but not the mid size speaker. None of these speakers work for music.

Completely lost and no idea what to do. I don't know enough about the Logic7 system and I can't seem to get in touch with anyone who can give me any good advice.

Here's to hoping there's someone out there who understands this or could provide some advice and is willing to lend some of their time. Open to a phone call as well if anyone wants to hear the issues more in depth, just shoot me a DM. Thank you.

Last edited by austinm4x; 11-20-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

How do you know it's the speakers that are broke?
The speakers are the last link in the chain and anything downstream is likely to go first and it's unlikely all speakers will have broke at the same time without blowing out.
As you say there was burning smell I would think something or the wiring loom has shorted and melted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 01:58 PM   #3
jrdmusic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328 F30 and 335 E92

Active Sound Design Issue

austinm4x.....did you come to a resolution you had with back in 2018 with you active sound design in your BMW? I'm having a similar problem with mine and wondering if anyone has a solution or idea as to what's happening....thanks...
Appreciate 0