F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bmw 328d, 280F00 Nitrogen oxide sensor errors
Studio RSR

01-07-2023, 08:25 PM   #1
kobasha
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

bmw 328d, 280F00 Nitrogen oxide sensor errors

Good day,

The car, BMW 2015, F30, 328d xDrive with ~49500 miles on it.

Went to a dealership just before the New Year eve to do the 'EGR Cooler' recall. They replaced EGR Cooler; Registered it; Performed intake test and passed.

In addition, bmw tech did "TOP OFF FLUIDS".

Approx. 50 miles out and 7 to 10 days from the day the maintenance was performed the check engine light came on.

The error codes were:

26F500 SCR system: Efficiency too low
26F600 SCR System: Efficiency too low (metering)
280F00 Nitrogen oxide sensor after SCR catalytic converter, signal: NOx signal invalid for too long

Cleared the errors, just to make sure. Went on vacation, came back from vacation, another 50 miles out and the check engine light turns back on. This time I get:

280F00 Nitrogen oxide sensor after SCR catalytic converter, signal: NOx signal invalid for too long

I use B5 or better diesel, same place; perform most routine maintenances myself during summer time OR use a local shop that does BMW and EU cars only, during winter time when it's cold outside.

Did a lot of research, what part #s, how to replace, whatnot, etc. Then located BMW's extended warranty on the "NOX before and after the SCR". Back in December 2018, BMW extended that warranty for F30 328d Sedan (N47T Engine).

Called the dealership, spoke with my service advisor. Explained the situation step by step. My previous advisor was super friendly and usually forthcoming with warranty/recall related stuff. He knew I could read the codes. My new rep, however, sang their usual song that the only put BMW approved parts, only BMW-branded fluids and that if it's just the NOX BEFORE AND AFTER, they would fix free of charge. But if they find that it's something else AND if I then refuse to fix it at the dealership, they would charge me ~$195 for diagnostics.

Questions are, given the above codes, is this just the NOX After system, or could it be something else like contaminated or mixed DEF fluids?

Could the above be related to the EGR recall?

I just have this odd feeling that they may have put something else in my DEF tank or maybe it's all just a coincidence.

Is there anything else you would do given the above error messages? Any other diagnostic I should/could perform to isolate what the root cause is or might be?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 02:09 PM   #2
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

I got the same code when NOX were replaced under the 120k 10 year extended warranty. That being said the SCR looks like it might be your metering line. Either way I would say its worth taking to a competent DEISEL bmw tech. There is only one guy at the dealer that touches my 328d and he gets a bottle of whiskey when I bring it in for warranty or recalls (Which has been a lot since I got her lol)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

This is definitely a NOx sensor without signal. Get those replaced under warranty. NOx sensors are used to evaluate the performance of the SCR system (the DEF) using a reading before and after. When one sensor is dead, you'll get errors like that.

There's no indication of it being a metering line at the moment.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
kobasha
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
This is definitely a NOx sensor without signal. Get those replaced under warranty. NOx sensors are used to evaluate the performance of the SCR system (the DEF) using a reading before and after. When one sensor is dead, you'll get errors like that.

There's no indication of it being a metering line at the moment.
Good day-

I just wanted to express my gratitude to all of those who responded! The two NOx sensors malfunctioned and were covered under warranty, so they were replaced by the BMW dealership. Upon reviewing the invoice (it didn't cost me anything), I can confirm that both sensors were indeed replaced, along with the particulate filter, muffler clamp, screw clamp, hex bolts, and some other minor items. All is well now, and I hope this will be the last NOx sensor replacement as I believe they were already replaced once before, two years ago. Best regards!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Surprised they replaced your DPF as well... Free win for you I guess unless they were referring to something else. But it must be DPF because they replaced a clamp and screw clamp
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
kobasha
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Surprised they replaced your DPF as well... Free win for you I guess unless they were referring to something else. But it must be DPF because they replaced a clamp and screw clamp
I was informed (as noted on the invoice, though partially cut off) that there was an issue with an item getting stuck and it could not be removed. As a result, they decided to replace both the sensors and the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in its entirety. Took them almost a week to complete, but I had a loaner so all is good =)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
Gregnew2BMWx28d
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White X3 xDrive28d

I’m glad yours worked out. I had the same thing on my US Spec 2015 X3 28d when I was in Korea and ended up buying the sensors and installing myself. I see there is a NHTSA warranty extension. 10 yr/120k miles

My issue is now on my 2014 328d with 122k. Just got the emissions codes 25B800, 280D00, and 25B700.

I still have the old sensors from the X3. I was thinking of swapping them out but not expecting much. This time around I will get the cheaper of the two due it it being the one with the CEL code.

I’m hesitant to bring to our BMW dealership as they broke a bunch of stuff during the EGR Cooler recall and won’t fix it.

What would you do???
Appreciate 0