F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Illuminated LCI AC/radio trim retrofit
Studio RSR

06-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #749
fyyrra
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ettam88 View Post
Hi to everyone,
I have a my2013 F31 318d without lighting package (no footwell lights) and without lights above the cup holders.
I was thinking of powering the light strip from the hazard light or the control unit element for the light or the window lifter switch.
Not having the light pack, I was interested in having only amber light.
will it work like this? I was looking for the diagrams to figure out which wire to connect to power the strip.
can someone kindly help me?
I followed the Dante's DIY, exceptional, and now I'm still not knowing how to connect.
Y cables are already ready but I do not know where to connect to make the strips turn on.
thanks to anyone who can help me, I do not know where to get the power to turn on the panel!!
Hey,

I have also this same problem. Did any one solve this?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #750
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
The piece under the radio that houses the LED for the cupholder keeps falling down/off now... any ideas how to get it to stay better?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:31 AM   #751
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Needs a firmer push
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:35 AM   #752
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
The piece under the radio that houses the LED for the cupholder keeps falling down/off now... any ideas how to get it to stay better?
Yes, like Smee said. The LCI bezel needs a stronger push to clip in. But make sure you're not squeezing any wires!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #753
CWM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Convertible

I just finished my installation, I have a 2016 428i convertible, no cup holder light, I ordered my dash kit from ECS Tuning, $51.00, I ordered my cables from China, lol, another $50.00, that included two Y cables needed for the (no cup holder light) installation.
1st off, no one specifies in these threads about removing the AC trim above the radio, so, I will. You can get a $10.00 panel popper tool from Aurozone, works great. Make sure before prying off the trim you use a cloth over the tool as to not scratch. Pry from above the radio, but below the vent as close to the steering wheel as possible. Tug firmly, it will come off, but use the popper tool as you get closer to the door when prying. It will not break.
Just below the AC control, put your thumbs on the panel and pull down. Pops right off. Now torx screws are exposed. Unscrew, remove, and a very clever person suggested credit cards wedged into the AC and Radio control to separate them from the trim..... even better, wedge one card in between the trim, and another and another, up to three or four all around, the AC and radio controls fall out just about on their own.
The wires and connectors...another story, my Chinese wires were all screwed up, had to splice and reconnect figuring it out on my own, while the car was on, touching wires here and there....lol
Nothing shorts out, low volatage led lights, nothing will fry, at most, will blow a fuse, which I did not.
One more thing no one mentions in this thread.....you really should be careful where you tuck your wires when done, the bottom of the radio is a giant heat sink...it will melt you wires if not careful, that’s why there is a space below the radio, so it can breathe !
If you are not careful, have a fire extinguisher ready !
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #754
CWM
Registered
Rep

This is where you start, pry with cloth covered tool,
starting at this point and working your way down
the other end just under the vents, it will pop right off.....
Name:  IMG_0263-1.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  163.3 KB

You can press down and in at this point, with
your thumbs, no tools required, the piece will
just pop off....
Name:  IMG_0265-1.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  176.6 KB

I purchased the light (A) from ECS Tuning, so you
can see where it sits with wires attached, also, to
the left, you can see where I ran my wires (B) to
the foot well light (follow directions as Chew's Link describes)
My car was running the entire time, radio got so
hot, I couldn't touch it, the heat sink (C) will melt wires,
that's why there is a space there, for the radio to breathe,
so, you can see I tucked my wires just below the plastic
trim, (D) but above the soft flexible panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #755
Bimiz
Rep
Drives: BmW 2002

good to know about those information
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #756
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Thanks @CWM for the writeup.
I have a few things to comment though.
I've linked a video in the original post that explains the necessary steps until disassembly of the controls.
I've never had to use a pry tool, just the hands as shown in the video. Maybe you haven't seen the video.

BMW seems to have changed the headunit on the Professional Nav for F3x models from 07/15 (NBT Evo?). Its smaller, yet seems to run hotter and now has these cooling fins underneath. They are not present on models built before 07/15. I've never experienced heat issues on my 2013 built car.
But thanks for the remark, never wrong to be careful with mods. I might add a note on the original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #757
brtttt
Ü
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31

Great thread , going back to the 1st page Any ideas when it comes to the white led display , what coding is required and also
How do you find out if you have the IHKA3 ecu ?

And if you don't have the ecu I take it it's not possible for a pre lci 2013 thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #758
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertz View Post
Great thread , going back to the 1st page Any ideas when it comes to the white led display , what coding is required and also
How do you find out if you have the IHKA3 ecu ?

And if you don't have the ecu I take it it's not possible for a pre lci 2013 thanks
DIY: LCI IHKA Climate Control Display Retrofit - IHKA3 Required https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1233171

In short, not possible for your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:00 AM   #759
CLEsonny
Private
Rep
Drives: F36

Ordered the parts last week at work and went to go see if my 2016 435i had the cup holder LED. Felt the panel and it had the opening for the cup holder LED, but after making the Y-adapter and taking the dash apart, I found out I don't have it haha. At least I got it in and now just have to order some parts to run the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM View Post
I just finished my installation, I have a 2016 428i convertible, no cup holder light, I ordered my dash kit from ECS Tuning, $51.00, I ordered my cables from China, lol, another $50.00, that included two Y cables needed for the (no cup holder light) installation.
1st off, no one specifies in these threads about removing the AC trim above the radio, so, I will. You can get a $10.00 panel popper tool from Aurozone, works great. Make sure before prying off the trim you use a cloth over the tool as to not scratch. Pry from above the radio, but below the vent as close to the steering wheel as possible. Tug firmly, it will come off, but use the popper tool as you get closer to the door when prying. It will not break.
Just below the AC control, put your thumbs on the panel and pull down. Pops right off. Now torx screws are exposed. Unscrew, remove, and a very clever person suggested credit cards wedged into the AC and Radio control to separate them from the trim..... even better, wedge one card in between the trim, and another and another, up to three or four all around, the AC and radio controls fall out just about on their own.
The wires and connectors...another story, my Chinese wires were all screwed up, had to splice and reconnect figuring it out on my own, while the car was on, touching wires here and there....lol
Nothing shorts out, low volatage led lights, nothing will fry, at most, will blow a fuse, which I did not.
One more thing no one mentions in this thread.....you really should be careful where you tuck your wires when done, the bottom of the radio is a giant heat sink...it will melt you wires if not careful, that’s why there is a space below the radio, so it can breathe !
Out of curiosity, when you added the cup holder LED, where did you get the power from? I would be inclined to order that too if I would utilize the Y-adapter. Is there a little DIY for that?
      08-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #760
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEsonny View Post
Ordered the parts last week at work and went to go see if my 2016 435i had the cup holder LED. Felt the panel and it had the opening for the cup holder LED, but after making the Y-adapter and taking the dash apart, I found out I don't have it haha. At least I got it in and now just have to order some parts to run the power.

Out of curiosity, when you added the cup holder LED, where did you get the power from? I would be inclined to order that too if I would utilize the Y-adapter. Is there a little DIY for that?
Check the link to the DIY of member Chew in post#2 of this thread. It's all there.
Shortcut here: link
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #761
Aurelion
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post

Link or details for the phone holder?
edit: nvm found it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I608BJ8...ee%20Packaging

I like the clean vents look.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #762
Aurelion
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM View Post
Do you have a link to the unit at ECS Tuning?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #763
CWM
Registered
Rep

The link for the trim kit from ECS Tunning
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/64119358940/
Have fun, I am not tech savy at all and I was able to follow the directions like a recipe, it’s does look amazing when done ! I can only thank Dante and Chew, just amazing. Remember, I did the the ENTIRE modification with my car running, lol, never shorted anything out.

My next mod had nothing to do with this thread, but I love it.
My $10 purchase of the light logos, wow, again, car running the entire time,
between 5-10 minutes, no tools, snap in, done !
Attached Images

Last edited by CWM; 08-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #764
CWM
Registered
Rep

One more thing I would like to comment on, the led
for the cup holder, it is a very very small piece, so small, you could put those anywhere in your car with proper wiring !
If you don’t have the hole for the cup holder led, make one, glue the tiny led in place (behind) over the hole.
WHOLA, you now have a cup holder light !
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #765
mallorca328
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2012 F30 328i  [0.00]
What color will this be on 328 luxury line?

Last edited by mallorca328; 08-12-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #766
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorca328 View Post
What color will this be on 328 luxury line?
You can choose either amber (classic) or white (luxury) via iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #767
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Just picked this up from an eBay seller with the Y cable.

Looks really easy can’t wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #768
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Msport

i bought an after market piece with y cable integrated from china for 60 and its really bright, and the amber looks great. I lucked out, i accidentally ordered it, was planning to buy the y cable and all the pieces until this came in.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #769
Tomfrom
Rep
Drives: F30 320 M-sport

Excellent guide! Anyone know where I can get the panel and y cable for less than £80 (best price I can find on eBay without waiting a month for shipping)

Can't wait to get this in my car!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:09 AM   #770
quadrophenic23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 420D M Sport MSPP

Top write up on a very cool upgrade. One question, which steering wheel is that? Does it have some sort of covering on it? Can't find one with that stitching anywhere!
Appreciate 0