F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > welp...another 17 340i radiator 'damaged' by a rock
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #67
TXDaddy
Joint Chiefer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
There is a HUGE difference between recalls and them improving design issues over time.

No manufacturer is going to upgrade your vehicle to the latest model. Like come on, say that out loud and think about it as that's what you are basically implying.

Everyone knows the old saying of "never buy the first year model of a car since they haven't worked out the kinks". I guess it should now be "buy it whenever, you'll get FREE upgrades as long as you own it"?
Not sure what your talking about - maybe you should re read my post again - out loud if you wish. Only you (and ik6speed) inferred that one is expecting an upgrade to the latest model if they want this addressed. I said the OP was hoping there was a recall. What I call a flaw, you call dated design. I think BMW should cover it for warranty, and you think they should not. Does that about sum it up?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #68
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

I have been bit by stone damage to the condenser too.
I consider the grill design to be deficient with clear openings over 0.9 inch that allows a sizable object to hit the condenser. For BMW to now fit a rock guards installed (since 11/17) is not an upgrade but a fix.
I installed an expanded metal aluminum screen in front of the truss bars that are behind the grill.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #69
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDaddy View Post
Not sure what your talking about - maybe you should re read my post again - out loud if you wish. Only you (and ik6speed) inferred that one is expecting an upgrade to the latest model if they want this addressed. I said the OP was hoping there was a recall. What I call a flaw, you call dated design. I think BMW should cover it for warranty, and you think they should not. Does that about sum it up?
That isn't a recall type issue. Does it suck? Yes. Have I managed to dodge this bullet so far? Yup.

It's not a warranty issue either. It's damage caused by a road hazard. A lot of vehicles have open inlets for the rads, not just BMW. If the dealership does a good will and fixes it for the OP, that's great, but that shouldn't be expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #70
shayne704
Rep
Drives: 2017 435i

This happened to me today. The car is currently in the shop and I am contacting my insurance. Does anyone have any advice on what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:04 PM   #71
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Here's what I would do:
1 -- I personally would just pay out of pocket to be assured that your insurance premiums stay low.
2 -- To make sure this does NOT happen again, you will need to install a grille. Otherwise you're just rolling the dice -- because obviously there's nothing to prevent a rock from re-breaking the radiator.
3 -- If you're going to go to through the massive pain-in-the-ass-trouble to put grilles in, you might consider just doing the repair yourself. If it's the auxiliary radiator that broke, you're going to be RIGHT THERE. I wish I had known this before I put the grilles in -- would have replaced the lower radiator myself. Once you have the front bumper off it looks exceptionally easy. The only part I personally would have had to research is how to bleed the cooling system properly. And for what is is worth, I could tell the BMW tech didn't take the front bumper off. They accessed the auxiliary radiator via the passenger wheel well (either by removing the plastic fender liner or pushing it out of the way). So to just remove and replace the auxiliary radiator is not that difficult.

Last edited by natesi; 09-04-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #72
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne704 View Post
This happened to me today. The car is currently in the shop and I am contacting my insurance. Does anyone have any advice on what to do.
Get the new stone shields as part of the repair, even if you have to pay for them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #73
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

The new stone shields only protect the middle area of the car though -- won't do anything for the auxiliary radiator (if you have one), which is wide-freaking-open. This is a shit-design -- it's reasonably foreseeable that, if you do enough freeway travel, it's just a matter of time before a big rock punctures the auxiliary radiator. I don't know how they could have been this dumb -- seems low effort, careless, and defies common sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #74
Nebelhinten
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tanzanite 340i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne704 View Post
Here is what I recommend based on my experience with same issue on my 2018 340i

1. Point out the addition of the rock guards to the radiator in 12/2017.

2. Request dealer contact regional and ask for "goodwill repair".

3. If they decline goodwill, call and open a case with BMWNA and explain situation and request goodwill repair.

You have nothing to lose by taking these steps. As shown by the multiple threads on this, it is a significant issue that they are clearly aware of. If you don't make the request no chance of getting repairs covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #75
Need4spd28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Reviving this thread as I am going thru this now with my 17’ 440i. I wouldn’t expect there to be a recall as it’s not a safety issue per se, but it seems pretty sad that BMW would look the customer in the face and act like they don’t know that this is a known issue.

I’ve taken the above advice. Hoping for a favorable outcome. Thanks to all for sharing their experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #76
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd28 View Post
Reviving this thread as I am going thru this now with my 17’ 440i. I wouldn’t expect there to be a recall as it’s not a safety issue per se, but it seems pretty sad that BMW would look the customer in the face and act like they don’t know that this is a known issue.

I’ve taken the above advice. Hoping for a favorable outcome. Thanks to all for sharing their experience.
I just got done dealing with this issue on my F80. A rock came flying into my lane and got under my car and proceeded to go apes#it on everything expensive under there, starting with my oil cooler and ending with my M Performance Exhaust. As I understand it, since the rock was moving into my lane, it is considered a comprehensive claim and I was not at fault. I believe it is very important you be as descriptive and accurate as you can when you report any incidents like this, because it could affect how it's covered. If you hit a stationary rock, for instance, I think that falls under a collision claim and you might be at fault. The rock hitting you is another situation.

All in all, I had it MUCH worse. Not only was the oil cooler destroyed, but my transmission oil cooler, some radiators, steering rack, front bumper, both headlights, M Performance Exhaust, and my rear differential. My M3 was in the shop for a month and a half. Total cost of repair: $36,000.

Here's just a taste of what this rock did:

More in my thread:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1550991

Good luck everyone! And no, there is no recall, the best you can do is get an oil cooler shield or don't run over any rocks!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      12-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #77
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd28 View Post
Reviving this thread as I am going thru this now with my 17' 440i. I wouldn't expect there to be a recall as it's not a safety issue per se, but it seems pretty sad that BMW would look the customer in the face and act like they don't know that this is a known issue.

I've taken the above advice. Hoping for a favorable outcome. Thanks to all for sharing their experience.
I just got done dealing with this issue on my F80. A rock came flying into my lane and got under my car and proceeded to go apes#it on everything expensive under there, starting with my oil cooler and ending with my M Performance Exhaust. As I understand it, since the rock was moving into my lane, it is considered a comprehensive claim and I was not at fault. I believe it is very important you be as descriptive and accurate as you can when you report any incidents like this, because it could affect how it's covered. If you hit a stationary rock, for instance, I think that falls under a collision claim and you might be at fault. The rock hitting you is another situation.

All in all, I had it MUCH worse. Not only was the oil cooler destroyed, but my transmission oil cooler, some radiators, steering rack, front bumper, both headlights, M Performance Exhaust, and my rear differential. My M3 was in the shop for a month and a half. Total cost of repair: $36,000.

Here's just a taste of what this rock did:

More in my thread:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1550991

Good luck everyone! And no, there is no recall, the best you can do is get an oil cooler shield or don't run over any rocks!
Good lord, sounds like you ran over a hand grenade. Thank god you got it covered!
      12-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #78
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Maybe a DIY fix. Dirt track cars use Nomex honeycomb sheets to protect radiators etc. You can cut them with a knife, razor, shears etc. The sheets are cheap about $20 from Speedway Motors. They are an ugly brown color but some barbecue high temp spray paint will cover them up.

Trial Fit A bit more trimming

Done. About a half hour not including waiting for the paint to dry.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-19-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #79
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

add me to.the list.
didn't have my car 1 day even and had a piece of metal go through bumper and damage radiator.
$2600....

Have a case opened with BMW North America to get some help on that hopefully and the guards installed..
My 2018 F36 is a 12/17 production date so I must've just missed having the guards!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #80
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

add me to.the list.
didn't have my car 1 day even and had a piece of metal go through bumper and damage radiator.
$2600....

Have a case opened with BMW North America to get some help on that hopefully and the guards installed..
My 2018 F36 is a 12/17 production date so I must've just missed having the guards!

Edit:
I was mistake. Car is a 9/17 production.
Apparently radiator that accommodates guards changed in 8/17 but new mounts and guards weren't added until 12/20/17.

Would like to get guards added while car is already torn down. but I need it back asap and unlikely BMW would approve that quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #81
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update: The mesh screen I installed continues to pay dividends regularly.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=64

This example was just one trip down to my friend's house, and back -- couple hours each way. It's the best bang-for-the-buck mod I've ever done -- and only cost about $8. It gives me piece of mind knowing I won't be on the freeway again, and stranded, due to a punctured radiator or auxiliary cooler.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gfa325.50