F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine death 2014 435i M Sport
ARMA SPEED

07-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
austin.draper
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

Engine death 2014 435i M Sport

I recently changed my oil cooler about a month ago due to a freak accident. Caused oil to leak. Changed the part out, took it to the nearest BMW to make sure it was ok. Had an oil change, car was fine. About a week and a half later. Driving on the highway. Did a short acceleration to get around a vehicle to exit the freeway. Soon as I come around, the RPMs shot up high, warning message comes on to say Drivetrain malfunction, car immediately goes into neutral. Had to coast it on the shoulder.. had the car towed to BMW and they say the engine locked up, 25k in repairs. Currently waiting on full diagnostic to come back so I can see what exactly is wrong.
      07-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Annoying thing is that if your engine had seized after the oil cooler was damaged in an accident, you might have been able to file an insurance claim.

Who physically did the work to change the oil cooler? You or a mechanic?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
austin.draper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Annoying thing is that if your engine had seized after the oil cooler was damaged in an accident, you might have been able to file an insurance claim.

Who physically did the work to change the oil cooler? You or a mechanic?
I repaired it myself which wasn't hard..
      07-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
jcdub
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not as bad as first diagnosed.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
austin.draper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdub View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's not as bad as first diagnosed.
Right now BMW said 25k for a whole new engine
      07-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.draper View Post
Where was the oil leak that caused your engine to seize? Or what caused the engine to seize?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
austin.draper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Where was the oil leak that caused your engine to seize? Or what caused the engine to seize?
TBD. BMW said they don't know where or what caused it.. so I'm pushing them to really give me a detailed answer
      07-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
I recently changed my oil cooler about a month ago due to a freak accident. Caused oil to leak. Changed the part out, took it to the nearest BMW to make sure it was ok. Had an oil change, car was fine. About a week and a half later. Driving on the highway. Did a short acceleration to get around a vehicle to exit the freeway. Soon as I come around, the RPMs shot up high, warning message comes on to say Drivetrain malfunction, car immediately goes into neutral. Had to coast it on the shoulder.. had the car towed to BMW and they say the engine locked up, 25k in repairs. Currently waiting on full diagnostic to come back so I can see what exactly is wrong.
What exactly needs to be replaced?

A rebuilt engine from BMW costs $13k and a brand new engine costs about $18k.

Either way that's pretty pricey which is why I may end up going with Ford/GM for my future track car. Catastrophic failures are much less expensive. $9k for a brand new GM LT1 in the event you blow one up.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Maybe wasn't hard, but could end up being expensive for you.
      07-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

25k for a new engine that's more than the car is worth. You can get CPO 2014 for that price. I say get the insurance money. It is probably totaled.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

can you push the car off a cliff? hmm in Atlanta... roll it into a lake?

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
austin.draper
Rep

So BMW said that the engine seized due to sludge.. I'm no fool and I know a N55 engine doesn't develop sludge at 68k miles. Especially with routine oil changes
      07-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

Quote:
So BMW said that the engine seized due to sludge.. I'm no fool and I know a N55 engine doesn't develop sludge at 68k miles. Especially with routine oil changes
This seems odd. How long have you owned the car?
      07-18-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
IH8I405
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Garage List
2015 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Dude, I feel your pain. I literally do. This happened to me on a business trip that I drove to San Diego. I bought a used Q50S, drove it to SD for work and put on 500 miles -- engine went into limp mode and coasted safely into an Infiniti dealership (thank god). Turns out it needed a new engine due to engine sludge. Car had 25k miles and I JUST BOUGHT IT. Dealer refused to honor warranty and dealer I purchased from refused to talk to me. After my lawyer got involved, dealer where I bought it from settled. Trust me, this process sucks and I know your pain -- only thing you can do is make sure you got EVERY document handy with facts and dates. BMW is only going to pick it a part, then that dealer's head will call BMW Corp and request warranty work which most likely will be denied automatically due to the sludge.

How did they find the sludge? Did they literally take apart the engine cover, etc and find sludge? Do they have pics they can send you? My case settled because SD Infiniti agreed with me that that amount of sludge would not occur after driving 500 miles on a car that was purchased at 25k miles (gross negligence from 3rd party dealer).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #15
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
what oil do you use and at what intervals?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
25k for a new engine that's more than the car is worth. You can get CPO 2014 for that price. I say get the insurance money. It is probably totaled.
But the op would get a new engine with this 25k, instead of another old engine which could fail in any time soon again.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8I405 View Post
Dude, I feel your pain. I literally do. This happened to me on a business trip that I drove to San Diego. I bought a used Q50S, drove it to SD for work and put on 500 miles -- engine went into limp mode and coasted safely into an Infiniti dealership (thank god). Turns out it needed a new engine due to engine sludge. Car had 25k miles and I JUST BOUGHT IT. Dealer refused to honor warranty and dealer I purchased from refused to talk to me. After my lawyer got involved, dealer where I bought it from settled. Trust me, this process sucks and I know your pain -- only thing you can do is make sure you got EVERY document handy with facts and dates. BMW is only going to pick it a part, then that dealer's head will call BMW Corp and request warranty work which most likely will be denied automatically due to the sludge.

How did they find the sludge? Did they literally take apart the engine cover, etc and find sludge? Do they have pics they can send you? My case settled because SD Infiniti agreed with me that that amount of sludge would not occur after driving 500 miles on a car that was purchased at 25k miles (gross negligence from 3rd party dealer).
Probably the original owner of the car already noticed the issue and thats why he/she sold it. The oo did something to temporarily hide it (e.g. oil additives) so the car could be sold at decent price.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #18
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

That's crazy that they found the reason to be sludge at 25k.

Seeing as you had oil leak after that accident, maybe it was more severe then you thought. Possible unseen damaged to internal parts or accident introduced foreign debris that went hidden in some gears or something crazy like that.
I hope BMW took pictures of what they found and maybe saved it for inspection.

Hopefully you're able to make a claim with your insurance.

How long have you had the car before this? Was it running fine before accident?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

Sorry to hear OP The new engine replacement quote is somewhat accurate as I had an engine replaced under warranty (same year and model as yours) and the estimated cost was $26K. What is the production date of your car?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
But the op would get a new engine with this 25k, instead of another old engine which could fail in any time soon again.
CPO means it's covered for unlimited miles and up to 2 years. What kind of warranty do they offer on an engine replacement that costs as much as a car? The insurance won't cover it so it's out of pocket. If the CPO is still under the original warranty it will be the balance of the remaining warranty plus 1 year and unlimited miles or 2 years for additional fee.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #21
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
TBD. BMW said they don't know where or what caused it.. so I'm pushing them to really give me a detailed answer
Quote:
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare. Sludge takes quite a while to build up and even then, you'll probably have increased oil pressure over time which may trigger a fault.

What is the actual diagnosis? Have you looked for a 2nd opinion? If you believe the sludge diagnosis without a 2nd opinion, you probably deserve to pay $25k for a brand new engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
austin.draper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare. Sludge takes quite a while to build up and even then, you'll probably have increased oil pressure over time which may trigger a fault.

What is the actual diagnosis? Have you looked for a 2nd opinion? If you believe the sludge diagnosis without a 2nd opinion, you probably deserve to pay $25k for a brand new engine.
I'll be a plum fool to believe these idiots.. I just moved back to Atlanta so I haven't had time to sniff out a legit BMW mechanic who knows what they are doing.. I'll do the work myself to fix but I need help diagnosing it.. BMW was just a start