F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Finally in a 440i GC, question about the MPPSK
Studio RSR

01-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive GC

Finally in a 440i GC, question about the MPPSK

Wow, back into the BMW scene after a 4 year hiatus. This is my 4th BMW, coming from an E46 330xi, to an E90 335i Msport LCI, to an E92 335is.

Interestingly enough I ended up in a 4er for my 4th. Kids, life, etc and finally get to sit in a Bavarian beast once again. Bear with me as I've been away from the BMW scene for a very long time.

Just got the car a few weeks ago, and naturally, I have started modding. With just a black grill and blacked out amber reflectors, I am now focusing on performance. I just purchased a Dinan CF intake system and deciding on an exhaust. The MPPSK sounds promising, but so does the Dinan catback.

My question is, could one purchase the MPPSK without the tune? I don't need increase HP or TQ as I've grown up and reduced my speed and reckless driving habits on highways and roads so my wife doesn't end up a widow and my children fatherless.

My cursory googling ended up with a part number: 18302407185 which appears to be the valve controlled muffler, and part number: 181020 which appears just to be midpipes ( it says valved? ).

If I just purchase these two part numbers, would I essentially have just the MPPSK exhaust system or is there more to it? There also appears to be a wiring harness ( part 18302414899) for the valve control, but not sure why this would be needed other than to control the passenger side valve. Theoretically, I could keep the valve open at all times from the passenger side and use the OEM valve control that the vehicle came with only to open up the driver side valve.

By purchasing just those two parts (and maybe the valve control wire) I would be in the same price range as a Dinan catback. Which do you guys prefer?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

pic for attention

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9812 Moonstone Metallic

Save your money and do a dual resonator delete at your local muffler shop for less than $150. Sounds great. Then unplug the wire to the exhaust flap so that it stays open. If you want it LOUD but not ridiculous then do a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
I like the MPPSK exhaust because of the two valves that make it a straight pipe when I want (in Sport or Sport+) - love the control I get with respect to noise levels.

If you want to purchase the exhaust separately, I think you'll need everything listed in the following link except for 03 & 04 which are stickers/decals (note these are CAD pricing): https://shop.bmw.ca/a/BMW__/73227449...t/03_0220.html

To be honest, I'm surprised myself that these have individual pricing as I've always read it has to bought as a kit. Question is if you can find a Dealer who would order these parts individually if you don't already have the MPPSK installed.

If you only care about sound - go with another exhaust as it'll be less costly.
      01-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKawi View Post
Save your money and do a dual resonator delete at your local muffler shop for less than $150. Sounds great. Then unplug the wire to the exhaust flap so that it stays open. If you want it LOUD but not ridiculous then do a downpipe.
That would've been an option for me maybe 4-5 years ago. I've done resonator deletes on my previous BMWs but this time around I'm looking to put on quality parts that would not potentially interfere with my new warranty. Yes, the resonator delete are just pipes and 99% would not get stuck with a non-covered warranty issue, but I would like to go full cat-back using parts from either Dinan or MPerformance for a peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
I like the MPPSK exhaust because of the two valves that make it a straight pipe when I want (in Sport or Sport+) - love the control I get with respect to noise levels.

If you want to purchase the exhaust separately, I think you'll need everything listed in the following link except for 03 & 04 which are stickers/decals (note these are CAD pricing): https://shop.bmw.ca/a/BMW__/73227449...t/03_0220.html

To be honest, I'm surprised myself that these have individual pricing as I've always read it has to bought as a kit. Question is if you can find a Dealer who would order these parts individually if you don't already have the MPPSK installed.

If you only care about sound - go with another exhaust as it'll be less costly.
I've been messaging Evan from Tischer and he was straightforward with me and said yes the exhaust can be purchased separately now. But, when I added up all the parts from the diagram that he gave me, it came out to a bit over 2k. At that point, I might as well do the full MPPSK with the tune for a few hundred bucks more! Evan also gave me a quote on the Dinan catback and it was about 1k cheaper than the MPPSK price they have listed.

However, I'm not so sure if all those parts on the diagram are necessary, and would like any input if I could essentially just get away with the valved-muffler and the midpipe that comes with the kit. That would put me at around a few hundred more than the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like this is what it'll cost for a MPPSK exhaust system, and that's excluding tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #6
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitectonix View Post
However, I'm not so sure if all those parts on the diagram are necessary, and would like any input if I could essentially just get away with the valved-muffler and the midpipe that comes with the kit. That would put me at around a few hundred more than the Dinan.
Yes, all the parts you listed are essential to install the exhaust on the vehicle. You don't want the exhaust breaking apart without the clamps or only one of the valves to open/close without the additional harness . Good to know these parts can be ordered separately though...

M Performance Parts go on sale a few times a year so I'm sure you can get better price than MSRP if you wait or shop around at different dealers. Alternatively, you can look here for a cheaper price on the full kit (without exhaust tips) and maybe get your dealer to price match.

Is the Dinan exhaust for 1k less cat-back or axle-back? I wouldn't compare the two unless you're also getting the Dinan mid-pipe which doesn't have the resonators on them.
      01-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Yes, all the parts you listed are essential to install the exhaust on the vehicle. You don't want the exhaust breaking apart without the clamps or only one of the valves to open/close without the additional harness . Good to know these parts can be ordered separately though...

M Performance Parts go on sale a few times a year so I'm sure you can get better price than MSRP if you wait or shop around at different dealers. Alternatively, you can look here for a cheaper price on the full kit (without exhaust tips) and maybe get your dealer to price match.

Is the Dinan exhaust for 1k less cat-back or axle-back? I wouldn't compare the two unless you're also getting the Dinan mid-pipe which doesn't have the resonators on them.
Thanks for the reply. I ultimately ended up going with the Dinan. Unfortunately midpipes are not available for the f36 xdrive. I know some have made it fit by cutting and welding, but I was recommended to have a shop custom make the pipes to essentially remove both resonators. I'm having Motorcepts in NY do all the work for me, as they are a Dinan pro authorized dealer and they always do amazing work. I just had the Dinan CF CAI installed yesterday too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add more 'points' to get my Dinan badge
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitectonix View Post
Thanks for the reply. I ultimately ended up going with the Dinan. Unfortunately midpipes are not available for the f36 xdrive. I know some have made it fit by cutting and welding, but I was recommended to have a shop custom make the pipes to essentially remove both resonators. I'm having Motorcepts in NY do all the work for me, as they are a Dinan pro authorized dealer and they always do amazing work. I just had the Dinan CF CAI installed yesterday too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add more 'points' to get my Dinan badge
If you have time, please post pictures and of course a short video with the exhaust sound. Very sharp car! F36 with B58 engine is fairly close to a perfect daily driver with lots of potential when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
If you have time, please post pictures and of course a short video with the exhaust sound. Very sharp car! F36 with B58 engine is fairly close to a perfect daily driver with lots of potential when necessary.
Thank you! I will definitely make a video once it goes on. Still got to schedule a time to get into the shop!
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      01-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0