F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F32 435D XDrive project-Splitter Cam fitted
Extreme Powerhouse

09-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #67
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Looks good man really love the interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6times7 View Post
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:27 AM   #68
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

HelmutVisor your car is looking magnificent. Not sure how I have missed this thread before!

The CF wraps look spot on, especially interesting as you have the same Oyster interior as me; if I fancied a future refresh then I would be very tempted to go down this route.

HUD reflection - after two weeks in my car, I noticed this for the first time yesterday. Bit annoying and one of those 'cannot unsee' things once it's caught your eye.

Splitter cam - kudos, that's an excellent solution

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #69
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelmutVisor View Post
M4 grills minus badge. Badge is OEM M Badge (side wing type) and I affixed it to a mount and used the guides on the inside of the grills (where the M4 badge block goes).
I've been looking at M4 grills as I really like the double slats, but afaik the "M4" badge is part of the mould. Your solution looks good - I take it you had to pry the M4 logo off, then simply covered the block with a wing decal?

I had been hoping the M4 was a clip-on job, but apparently not.

Any info or close-up pictures appreciated!

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #70
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435d XDrive M Sport

Stig, no, my solution is quite different. I purchased an OEM M side wing badge (not cheap) and a set of after market double slat gloss black grills. I'll not describe in words here how I did it but pop my grill off tomorrow and post some piccies. I did promise CazuaLLUK the same so I'll get off me fat ass and do it.

Basic summary is that I bonded (Areldite) a couple of 10mm bolts to the back of a black surround that I attached the M badge to. The bolts were then fixed by way of a nut/back plate on the inside of the grill. Luckily the after market grill had the guide lines where the OEM M4 badge would go. I faired the whole thing with some black styrene sheet so the bolts didnt show (like you may see with the cheap Chinese M grill badges). Like I said, I'll chuck some piccies up tomorrow.

MashinBenzin, thanks mate. As most of us are here, I'm very fussy about the quality of add ons and I'm content with the finish of the CF wrap inside. Those in the know (petrol heads) have said it looks OEM so that works for me. I have had to do a bit of remedial on some of the wrap since applying as its started to release. This is usual as the wrap settles and bits that have been heated or trimmed come away. If you've left enough surplus vinyl on the undercut, you can use this to pull and glue.

Not a major issue as all I do to remedy is pop the trim off and dab a tiny bit of CA glue (superglue) under the errant area with a cocktail stick (make sure its a non visible surface area- i.e. the underside or inner part, means if you want to strip it off it wont damage the original finish) and ensure its smoothed off. I also add some neutral boot polish on a cloth then buff off to add a depth and close the material. If you just squirt interior cleaner, there is a chance that the surface vinyl layer will seep the liquid under the layer and give you an uneven finish. When you heat up the vinyl and stretch it, it could potentially expose the under layer hence why I dont recommend spraying with normal interior liquid cleaner.

As I've mentioned before, patience and prep in applying the CF wrap really does pay off and makes the interior look very much OEM. I've had three massive petrol heads inspect it closely and all have said its real.
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #71
black stig
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Thanks for the details.

I'll go aftermarket on the grills and leave badging alone then as it sounds a bit involved for me!

No need to pull your lovely new car to bits on my account. I hear getting the grills off can be a bit involved...

You've definitely got the forum Batmobile. Cracking job on the mods

now: 440i GC
gone: C350 CDI estate, C250 CDI, A4 1.8T quattro
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #72
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Popping grills off is a doddle (with a minor amount of knuckle rash). And don't worry about pulling a new car to bits as I resorted to converting a new Porsche Boxster S to kit form when I first acquired one of those. I ripped out the crappy PCM and retro-fitted a CarPuter (running Windows) in its place, retro fitting a GT3 trimmed interior as well as dismantling most of the engine to replace the top end with a 911 intake and manifold and swapping half of the bay with a comp spec oil and air system. Warranties - I shit em!

I also bastardised my Overfinch Range Rover (P38) by learning how to do trimming and veneering and also installed a PS2 and XBox in the boot.

(Bizarrely, I got a random phone call the other day from the new owner of my Rangie asking what mods had been done for insurance purposes. I'd sold it about 10 years ago but they'd found my mobile number on a post-it note in one of the door pockets!)

Batmobile? To be honest, I only decided to go the route I did off the cuff. My previous vehicle was a Mineral White E92 M Sport with a black roof and CF spoiler. I had a few plans for that but in the end, just couldnt be arsed. With this one, I wanted to go totally opposite. Black, slightly aggressive but subtle. A bit like Nigel Benn or the early days of Mike Tyson. Black trunks, boots and gloves etc. Just understated but fucking nails if you want to go against it

Now I've clocked 1500 miles (in three weeks!), I'll look at a tuning box that'll chuck it over 400Bhp and 850 Nm/tq

Last edited by HelmutVisor; 09-24-2016 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #73
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Popping grills off is a doddle (with a minor amount of knuckle rash). And don't worry about pulling a new car to bits as I resorted to converting a new Porsche Boxster S to kit form when I first acquired one of those. I ripped out the crappy PCM and retro-fitted a CarPuter (running Windows) in its place, retro fitting a GT3 trimmed interior as well as dismantling most of the engine to replace the top end with a 911 intake and manifold and swapping half of the bay with a comp spec oil and air system. Warranties - I shit em!

I also bastardised my Overfinch Range Rover (P38) by learning how to do trimming and veneering and also installed a PS2 and XBox in the boot.

(Bizarrely, I got a random phone call the other day from the new owner of my Rangie asking what mods had been done for insurance purposes. I'd sold it about 10 years ago but they'd found my mobile number on a post-it note in one of the door pockets!)

Batmobile? To be honest, I only decided to go the route I did off the cuff. My previous vehicle was a Mineral White E92 M Sport with a black roof and CF spoiler. I had a few plans for that but in the end, just couldnt be arsed. With this one, I wanted to go totally opposite. Black, slightly aggressive but subtle. A bit like Nigel Benn or the early days of Mike Tyson. Black trunks, boots and gloves etc. Just understated but fucking nails if you want to go against it

Now I've clocked 1500 miles (in three weeks!), I'll look at a tuning box that'll chuck it over 400Bhp and 850 Nm/tq
You'll get no where near that with tuning box mate unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #74
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
You'll get no where near that with tuning box mate unfortunately.
Just rough figures I'd pulled out of my arse mate. What do you recommend and what sort of output is realistic? Projex Ltd offer a tuning box (thats TUV approved) and suggests it can push to approx 360bhp/700Nm. Remap or tuning box?

Last edited by HelmutVisor; 09-28-2016 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #75
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Just rough figures I'd pulled out of my arse mate. What do you recommend and what sort of output is realistic? Projex Ltd offer a tuning box (thats TUV approved) and suggests it can push to approx 360bhp/700Nm. Remap or tuning box?
They never produce figures they say, a tuning box is a middle man. You just have to look at yeatster post on a 435d and he had dynod with a dtuk box and only added roughly 35 bhp. Just get a remap and do it properly.

Stage 1 around 380 ish.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #76
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah thanks mate.

With a remap, would this potentially be wiped with service/dealer work? And if so, do/will remap companies reload? Noob question probably.

Just trawling through the diesel tuning forum at present.

I hear an advantage of a tuning box is it can be removed with no trace and re-installed after dealer visit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #77
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Update: Integrated tablet now fitted.

Couple of photos and a youtube clip of my splitter cam;

Youtube clip - transition

I've now fitted a cheap tablet, wifi connected to the camera under the number plate. The interface on my tablet has CarHome ultra on it which allows shortcuts to apps. The tablet and wifi transmitter powers up on unlocking the car (plugged in to under glove box cigar lighter socket). Tablet auto connects to the wifi and et voila, its there at a push of a button (see vid), simple as that. I've set the screen to power off after 15secs of power being removed (about 5 mins after locking) or I have a shortcut on the GUI that allows me to screen off straight away. The tablet is magnetically mounted to the trim piece so can be removed easily and stowed in glovebox out of view if needed.

It really has saved me smashing my splitter on kerbs tons of times so far.

I'll take some more pics and vid of it in action (pulling up to a kerb) and showing you the indications on screen and how much situational awareness it gives you and from outside to see the proximity you can get without smashing it.
Appreciate 1
BrennanF301469.00
      10-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #78
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Really cool set up there bud, liking that, what tablet is it and how did you get the m performance on the screen?

Quote:
I don't know - BrennanF30 is Irish isn't he? I reckon he's got some super hi def, Ultra HD4K F30 photo taking potato
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #79
DThr33
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
With a remap, would this potentially be wiped with service/dealer work? And if so, do/will remap companies reload?
I'm not sure if all do, but I know DMS do if it gets wiped. I think they'll even come to you to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #80
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Have you resolved the HUD reflections / got any ideas for a fix? if you do fix it can you please post the solution?

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #81
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanF30 View Post
Really cool set up there bud, liking that, what tablet is it and how did you get the m performance on the screen?
From Argos. Bush Spira B2 7 inch. £79.. Runs Android 6 and also has a micro HDMI input (will be experimenting what it can give me). Really good little tablet. Not the best quality but it runs nice and quickly and the screen is actually very good.

The M Perf is actually wallpaper I knocked up. I made the CarDash App have a transparent skin so it shows through on all pages. I've also got an app called RealDash which is really good. You can customise all manner of gauges and it connects to OBD 2 and also takes feeds from the device (gps, accelerometers etc). Makes the official M Perf laptimer look pants and expensive!

Quote:
I'm not sure if all do, but I know DMS do if it gets wiped. I think they'll even come to you to do it.
Ah cool, thanks mate.

Quote:
Have you resolved the HUD reflections / got any ideas for a fix? if you do fix it can you please post the solution?
Not got round to that little job yet. On my list of 'things to do'!

My initial idea is to get some matt type material cut to a suitable shape and place it around the offending area or removing the surround facia and spraying it a matt black colour (will look for a cheap spare one on EBay). Now its not as sunny, its not been bugging me so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #82
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Sounds very cool mate and fits nicely below the climate controls, how much did the entire set up cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #83
Riffs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GTS. Previous - 440i GC

A fascinating thread. Helmut, your car looks phenomenal mate. You are an artist Sir!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #84
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennanF30 View Post
Sounds very cool mate and fits nicely below the climate controls, how much did the entire set up cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
£7 for the camera
£39 for the wifi transmitter
£79 for the tablet
£5ish for the wiring and a switch
Total £130
Seems like a bargain compared to replacing a £700+ CF front splitter! (plus its a gadget )

Thank you riffs!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #85
Whyte901
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Xdrive Msport Touring

Garage List
Lovely motor! Nice to see you venturing above and beyond with techy mods!
Ive just done the Dashcam install Thinkware F750 front and rear and was surprised how easy it was to hide cables.
Waiting on a motor being delivered Nov/Dec and I`ll hardware but for now just used hidden 12V.

Keep the images coming!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #86
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
MashinBenzin, thanks mate. As most of us are here, I'm very fussy about the quality of add ons and I'm content with the finish of the CF wrap inside. Those in the know (petrol heads) have said it looks OEM so that works for me. I have had to do a bit of remedial on some of the wrap since applying as its started to release. This is usual as the wrap settles and bits that have been heated or trimmed come away. If you've left enough surplus vinyl on the undercut, you can use this to pull and glue.

Not a major issue as all I do to remedy is pop the trim off and dab a tiny bit of CA glue (superglue) under the errant area with a cocktail stick (make sure its a non visible surface area- i.e. the underside or inner part, means if you want to strip it off it wont damage the original finish) and ensure its smoothed off. I also add some neutral boot polish on a cloth then buff off to add a depth and close the material. If you just squirt interior cleaner, there is a chance that the surface vinyl layer will seep the liquid under the layer and give you an uneven finish. When you heat up the vinyl and stretch it, it could potentially expose the under layer hence why I dont recommend spraying with normal interior liquid cleaner.

As I've mentioned before, patience and prep in applying the CF wrap really does pay off and makes the interior look very much OEM. I've had three massive petrol heads inspect it closely and all have said its real.
Thanks for all the info mate I've only just seen it as I went on holiday after my post and didn't spot your reply when I came back a fortnight ago

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #87
BrennanF30
BMWLad
Ireland
Rep

Garage List
BMW F30 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
£7 for the camera
£39 for the wifi transmitter
£79 for the tablet
£5ish for the wiring and a switch
Total £130
Seems like a bargain compared to replacing a £700+ CF front splitter! (plus its a gadget )

Thank you riffs!
Flippin heck that's for nothing! Really cheap man and looks great

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #88
HelmutVisor
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Thanks for all the info mate I've only just seen it as I went on holiday after my post and didn't spot your reply when I came back a fortnight ago
And I had one of my mates (TVR owner and driver of some quite exotic cars) actually argue with me when I told him it was a wrap I'd done. He refused to believe it

Brennan, as with everything I do, it's a 'Work in Progress'. I intend to replace the cheap camera (420TVL) with a higher def camera. Even playing around with the idea of attaching a P2P tilt and pan (baby monitor type) camera. There are some suitable small ones on the market and it should have the ability to pan and tilt via an app on the tablet. Obviously have to apply a bit of engineering and mods to it to water proof and ruggedise it. Be handy to not only keep an eye on my splitter but could be used as a blind junction aid and even a forward facing device to record whazzing and zooming around country lanes.

Something like this;

Nose-Cam MkII

....Hmm, I think a laser range finder could be squeezed on the payload too
Appreciate 2