F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Star marked tyres
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
DexGC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D Gran Coupe

Star marked tyres

Thinking of changing to non run flats on my 20" 405M wheels. It's a 435D so Xdrive so have been reading about potential warranty issues not having star marked tyres. Only thing I can find in the manual is the 'recommendation' below to use Star marked tyres, which wouldn't seem enough to deny a warranty claim on. Has anyone seen anything in writing that says non star marked tyres could void any part of your warranty?

Has anyone running non star marked tyres on an xdrive has any grief from a dealership?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Thanks for starting the thread as I am thinking to get 20" alloys and I have Xdrive and my BMW technician friend said that I have to have these tyres on new alloys etc

I was bit worried and didn't want to put any tyres on and get problem .

Let's see what Pros say here .
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

I ran MPSS for most of the time I had my 335d and never had so much as a raised eyebrow from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I ran non star marked non RFT on my previous car.

Never mentioned to me by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

My understanding... if there are xDrive drivetrain issues, BMW can request the dealer to check tyres first. They are looking to see if the user has star marked tyres, or not. If not, BMW can have the say for further investigation.

There are users who have had drivetrain issues with xDrive, solved simply by using star marked tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
kwak24
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XD M Sport

I run mpss on my 405's coming on 2 years now I think and no issues at all other than the fact they are night and day better than the original Pirelli run flats.

In fact both service check sheets I have had since have stated Michelin run flats then the tyre depths so it shows either how much they know or how hard they look!

As above though, should there be a drivetrain issue they MAY look a little further...... a risk I'm comfortable with given the improvements.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
DexGC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
My understanding... if there are xDrive drivetrain issues, BMW can request the dealer to check tyres first. They are looking to see if the user has star marked tyres, or not. If not, BMW can have the say for further investigation.

There are users who have had drivetrain issues with xDrive, solved simply by using star marked tyres.
I've heard similar to that before, but was surprised at the very small reference to it in the manual and that it is only a recommendation. I don't see how they could refuse a warranty claim based on that. Have you seen the requirement to use star marked tyres documented anywhere for F3x or other models?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexGC View Post
I've heard similar to that before, but was surprised at the very small reference to it in the manual and that it is only a recommendation. I don't see how they could refuse a warranty claim based on that. Have you seen the requirement to use star marked tyres documented anywhere for F3x or other models?
I agree BMW don't spell out the limitations in user manuals, like some other manufacturers, then they hold things close in other areas as well.

Users just get something like the following, as in my Driver's Guide.

Comments with reference to "interfere with the proper functioning of various systems" and to "unable to assess the suitability" of non approved tyres.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DexGC217.00
      04-01-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
DexGC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexGC View Post
I agree BMW don't spell out the limitations in user manuals, like some other manufacturers, then they hold things close in other areas as well.

Users just get something like the following, as in my Driver's Guide.

Comments with reference to "interfere with the proper functioning of various systems" and to "unable to assess the suitability" of non approved tyres.
Interesting, that definitely does seems much more of a requirement to use approved tyres.

This is the version from my manual
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

So I have a question, can I switch to another star tire from the one that cane with my vehicle or are you supposed to just use the original tire?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

I called both my insurance company and BMW warranty to find out if i had to fit star marked tyres and they both said it was not mandatory.
Edinburra546.50
      04-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
nickf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

I had long chat with my SA on RSC (star) spec vs non RSC + run flat vs non run-flat last week. Not a problem for them as long as you have the correct size / load rating tires installed.
Appreciate 1
DexGC217.00
      04-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman335dxDrive View Post
I called both my insurance company and BMW warranty to find out if i had to fit star marked tyres and they both said it was not mandatory.
May not be mandatory, but that can be different from claiming on a warranty for the xDrive drivetrain. BMW can start with requesting a check on the tyres fitted.

Even BMW dealers have messed up with xDrives fitted with correct sizes/loadings etc., but non approved tyres. Had to change the tyres to get rid of drivetrain knocking or bunching.

My local National Tyres wouldn't fit non approved tyres to my son's X3. They had non approved tyres in stock, so wasn't a sale issue. He would fit star marked tyres if my son could source them, they couldn't find any on their system. The manager had seen too many issues with xDrive on non approved tyres, just doesn't go there any more.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So I have a question, can I switch to another star tire from the one that cane with my vehicle or are you supposed to just use the original tire?
BMW will recommend the same brand and specification, or change a full set to another brand. May comment on it in the user manual, something like the following.

Quote:
To maintain good handling and vehicle response, use only tires of a single tread configuration from a single manufacturer.
Some tyre manufacturers also only recommend a full set. May even highlight that different specs, even of their own brand, don't mix. For example, Bridgestone have comment covering the Potenza range.
Appreciate 0