F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dashboard Cameras
proTUNING Freaks

03-23-2014, 04:10 AM   #23
Kakodo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sports Car

If you have a smartphone, then chances are you could use that.

I use my Galaxy S2, with Samsung car mount (which has a hole that the camera can see through.) You can also get black box apps that use GPS data to show where you are on a map, and the speed you were doing at the time.

However, I do think that a real dashcam is better than an action camera or a smartphone, if you want to use it all the time.
Check out szswill.com you can find some decent items.

Last edited by Kakodo; 04-09-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:14 AM   #24
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakodo View Post
If you have a smartphone, then chances are you could use that.

I use my Galaxy S2, with Samsung car mount (which has a hole that the camera can see through.) You can also get black box apps that use GPS data to show where you are on a map, and the speed you were doing at the time.
But what use is that when your not driving/in the car? You can't have parking mode that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #25
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Thread resurrection but since it's alive...

I have these in mine:

Front -

NextBase 302

Rear -

Nextbase 202

They are wired into the 12v front and rear so permanently recording when ignition is on and use battery for motion detection and impact recording when car is off.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #26
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
Thread resurrection but since it's alive...

I have these in mine:

Front -

NextBase 302

Rear -

Nextbase 202

They are wired into the 12v front and rear so permanently recording when ignition is on and use battery for motion detection and impact recording when car is off.
So which wire did you use to put in a constant live? 12v sockets switch off after a few minutes? Presume you added an inline fuse?

I need to make my Blackvue cameras permanently ready so when the g sensor is activated it records. Just noticed cleaning mine yesterday someone had scuffed my front bumper!! If my camera was recording I would have caught them!

I have looked at power magic and also running a separate battery pack via 12v socket but would prefer it to be hard wired. As it is leased i want it tidy for when it returns to lease company.

Also does your DAB radio work with the rear cam? Reviews state it interferes with the aerial and DAB does not work? If it does I may buy this cam. The blackview camera interferes with DAB so did not purchase a rear camera.

Thanks

Dickie

Last edited by DickieGibbo; 03-23-2014 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #27
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickieGibbo View Post
So which wire did you use to put in a constant live? 12v sockets switch off after a few minutes? Presume you added an inline fuse?

I need to make my Blackvue cameras permanently ready so when the g sensor is activated it records. Just noticed cleaning mine yesterday someone had scuffed my front bumper!! If my camera was recording I would have caught them!

I have looked at power magic and also running a separate battery pack via 12v socket but would prefer it to be hard wired. As it is leased i want it tidy for when it returns to lease company.

Also does your DAB radio work with the rear cam? Reviews state it interferes with the aerial and DAB does not work? If it does I may buy this cam. The blackview camera interferes with DAB so did not purchase a rear camera.

Thanks

Dickie

Actually they are just in the front and rear 12v sockets with the wires routed under the headlining/A anc C pillar trim. The units have a battery in them that they use for motion detection and impact detection when parked...so far they have never run out.

Never had any interference with DAB from them.

I'll try to get some pics of the them fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Actually they are just in the front and rear 12v sockets with the wires routed under the headlining/A anc C pillar trim. The units have a battery in them that they use for motion detection and impact detection when parked...so far they have never run out.

Yes please.
      03-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #29
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:

Okay thanks for this. I wonder how long the battery will last? This is the issue with my blackview camera as it does not have a built in battery. I may just run a Constant live from the battery in the boot. That's if I can get in the boot without me having the rear seat ski hatch option!

The reason I asked about interference is the link you posted has a review by someone that DAB interferes with it and my mate had a blackview on his Merc AMG that interfered with it.

Pictures would be good.

Thanks

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #30
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep

Not very good iPhone pics below of both cameras in situ. Definitely no DAB issues so far. What you cant see from the pics is that actually you can barely see the cameras externally with the naked eye behind the sun glass
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #31
sailplan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d, EB, MSport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudster View Post
Here's my install, I bought the camera from E-prance (eBay)...

Thanks for posting the video, really useful. I intend to buy the next version of this due out sometime in the next couple of weeks with the A7 chip and WDR. I've done quite a lot of research and concluded that I wanted a dedicated car dvr rather than a sports cam that doubles as a dvr, it will be permanently fitted and I didn't want to pay over £100 (ruled out the Blackvue's). I also wanted a cam that was as small as possible and difficult to spot from the outside. The mini 0801 cameras seem to tick the right boxes for me. I recommend techmoan.com for anyone looking for some good car dvr reviews.
Appreciate 0