F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Really gutted :(
proTUNING Freaks

04-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #45
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

That's nonsense. If it can come out the factory looking the same, then there is no reason why it cannot be hand sprayed the same. Plastics and metal do take paint differently, but it should not be noticeable to the naked eye if done properly.

Something has gone wrong in the way they have painted it. Can you post some close up pics (ideally where you can also see the bonnet up close)?

I am having problems with my resprayed bumper. I've had a similar response from the dealer, but the problem is how they have either prepped the bumper poorly or applied the base coat incorrectly. It looks darker because the basecoat is not sitting smooth (it looks rough and textured).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #46
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I will try and post a picture. The paintwork is extremely smooth with no orange peel effect which the rear bumper has. Bloody cars. Bloody garage. Bloody annoying.
      04-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #47
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Was the rear bumper resprayed also? I think orange peel is caused by using a poorer quality lacquer.

Lots of things can go wrong when spraying, but these are mainly caused by poor prep work or rushing a job. The other thing I have found is that some will cheat and not use BMW white label paints because they are more expensive.

The issue I've found is most BMW Approved Bodyshops also do other manufacturers work and a lot of insurance jobs. They constantly rush to get cars out as quickly as possible, often focussing more on quantity rather than quality. I've never had a BMW Approved bodyshop do a job properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #48
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
Was the rear bumper resprayed also? I think orange peel is caused by using a poorer quality lacquer.

Lots of things can go wrong when spraying, but these are mainly caused by poor prep work or rushing a job. The other thing I have found is that some will cheat and not use BMW white label paints because they are more expensive.

The issue I've found is most BMW Approved Bodyshops also do other manufacturers work and a lot of insurance jobs. They constantly rush to get cars out as quickly as possible, often focussing more on quantity rather than quality. I've never had a BMW Approved bodyshop do a job properly.
The rear bumper is original. It took the body shop 6 weeks to fix my car so they did not rush. The paintwork is truly superb but there is an inherent colour mismatch. They also had a huge problem in fitting the Xenon perfectly to my satisfaction.
      04-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #49
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I've noticed a slight difference in the colour of the thin parts either side of the roof that have the holes in to fit a roof box, it looks darker to me and thats out the factory, I was told its because they are plastic, I didn't even notice until they machine polished my roof to get some large marks out, all I can say is BMW's are not what they used to be
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #50
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Here are some photos. Also note the close-up where I touched up the stone chip. It is hardly visible from a distance.

04-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #51
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

That is a distinct difference, would of thought they would match closer than that.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #52
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
That is a distinct difference, would of thought they would match closer than that.
Yes there is and I don't know what they can do apart from re-spraying the bumper and/or blending it with the bonnet.
      04-21-2014, 07:51 AM   #53
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Yes there is and I don't know what they can do apart from re-spraying the bumper and/or blending it with the bonnet.
We had a bonnet respray end by Toyota garage a few years ago, black car, you would think it would match nope.

I complained to garage and Toyota UK.

They did a check and ended up reprinting the car, as they could not get a bonnet to match. Bizarre.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #54
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
We had a bonnet respray end by Toyota garage a few years ago, black car, you would think it would match nope.

I complained to garage and Toyota UK.

They did a check and ended up reprinting the car, as they could not get a bonnet to match. Bizarre.
Nightmare. Don't think I will need to get my whole car re-painted.
      04-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #55
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

There is a slight shade difference between metal and plastic painted bodywork on my mineral grey F32 which is from factory finish. You can't really do much about it as a flexible based primer has to be used on the plastic parts so any flexing won't crack the underlying base coat, not so on metal panels, also with the metallic flakes in the paint finish these can become minute magnets which can affect where exactly within the depth of the paint finish they lie. This doesn't have any affect on plastic panels because of the absence of ferrous material.
I was once told by an approved BMW bodyshop foreman that varying the pressure of the spray gun when applying the paint can affect just where within the depth of paint the metallic flake particles will lie, mind we're talking microns here!
Not that any of this of use to touching in a paint chip! I'd agree with other posts on this thread.....use only the genuine BMW paint touch-up and as fine a brush as you can get ( or cocktail stick as someone else suggested ) I've had good results with either method, and build paint up gradually in the chip with more than one application if necessary. You don't have ages to wait between coats as the base colour is dry enough to re-touch after 20 to 30 mins! When you've done, then although you'll always know where it is and believe me I share your pain this happens all the time with my car and the missus' car, you'll find that 'a man on a galloping horse' ain't ever going to see it !!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #56
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
Here are some photos. Also note the close-up where I touched up the stone chip. It is hardly visible from a distance.

That's a damned good touch-up you've done there......I couldn't see a thing until you posted the really tight close-up...and even then it looks at worst the aftermath of a 'bug splat' which wasn't completely cleaned off!
Certainly wouldn't IMHO even consider having the bonnet repainted for that, because you're running the risk of getting some paint inclusions on the finish, I don't know of any bodyshop that can replicate the 'clinical' factory-like conditions?
Maybe one.........BMW's Distribution Centre at Thorne!....visited it years ago and the paintshop facilities where cleaner than a bio-hazard lab!....remember they had one of King Hussein's cars ( a red M1 ) fully stripped down and were re-painting it in Alpine White at his behest.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #57
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Here's mine:

Basecoat just looks totally wrong - 1m away, it looks almost like the wrong colour silver was used (guys on DetailingWorld think it was prepped wrong or wrong base has been applied). It also has horizontal lines everywhere they have tried to key the base coat for lacquer (you can see them clearly at the top of the panel).

Dealer bodyshop people were very surprised I had negative feedback as they thought it was a perfect job.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #58
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
That's a damned good touch-up you've done there......I couldn't see a thing until you posted the really tight close-up...and even then it looks at worst the aftermath of a 'bug splat' which wasn't completely cleaned off!
Certainly wouldn't IMHO even consider having the bonnet repainted for that, because you're running the risk of getting some paint inclusions on the finish, I don't know of any bodyshop that can replicate the 'clinical' factory-like conditions?
Maybe one.........BMW's Distribution Centre at Thorne!....visited it years ago and the paintshop facilities where cleaner than a bio-hazard lab!....remember they had one of King Hussein's cars ( a red M1 ) fully stripped down and were re-painting it in Alpine White at his behest.
Thanks for the thumbs-up re the touch-up. Even the bodyshop said that they could not do better.

I presume I'll just have to live with the slight mis-match between bumper and bonnet. But it really bugs me. What is really annoying is that my car was damaged by a neighbour who reversed into it. Thankfully I had a witness and his Insurance paid-up.
      04-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #59
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

@AndyH:
Do you have a shot which is slightly further back?
Is that dirt or is that the blemish you were talking about?
Now, I see what you mean. Very rough finish.
      04-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #60
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

I'm just about to start washing the cars so will post some pics when I'm done.

Where they've not sprayed base, they used a scotch pad to 'key' the previous clear coat. Apparently this is not the best way to key before lacquering (it's a quick way though) and whoever did it had been far too aggressive (meaning there are key lines that are visible). It's frustrating because I could not have been any clearer how I expect a very good job when they do the respray.

I also made it very clear they should not wash the car at all as my paintwork is swirl free. They managed to get white grease on the inside of the car and took the liberty by saying they didn't do anything about it because I'd told them not to clean the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #61
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm just about to start washing the cars so will post some pics when I'm done.

Where they've not sprayed base, they used a scotch pad to 'key' the previous clear coat. Apparently this is not the best way to key before lacquering (it's a quick way though) and whoever did it had been far too aggressive (meaning there are key lines that are visible). It's frustrating because I could not have been any clearer how I expect a very good job when they do the respray.

I also made it very clear they should not wash the car at all as my paintwork is swirl free. They managed to get white grease on the inside of the car and took the liberty by saying they didn't do anything about it because I'd told them not to clean the car!
It is so infuriating. Is it the front or back bumper that had the re-spray?
In my case, I'll just have to live with it. The spray work on my front bumper is better than the rear bumper's factory finish.
      04-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #62
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Just the front bumper.

If you're not happy with the rear bumper, I would kick up a fuss. The bumpers are sprayed separately (possibly in a different factory or country) to the rest of the car. Here's a video of a F30 being made -

It's possible for them to send you a new rear bumper already painted in EBII without any orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #63
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

@AndyH:

I am fine about the rear bumper. They are all the same. Believe me I checked. My only gripe is the paint mis-match of the top portion of the bumper vs the bonnet. That top part could be re-sprayed without removing the bumper. Just the badge and the grille need to be removed.
      04-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #64
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethefish View Post
bit late as you've already ordered the touch up pen from BMW.

but i always use this company for touch up paint.
i repainted the complete side skirt on my Monaco blue E90 a while back and have a black sapphire scratch and chip kit for my current car,
and colour match was spot on.

they are well rated on other BMW and car detailing sites.
and do scratch and chip kits.

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetai...productID=6912

pdf guide:
http://www.paints4u.com/pdffiles/Scr...ster%20Kit.pdf
Thanks for the link, just ordered one for the chip i have on my bonnet!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #65
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Thanks for the link, just ordered one for the chip i have on my bonnet!
What! Already? How big? Where?
      04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #66
mgwest76
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Just the front bumper.

If you're not happy with the rear bumper, I would kick up a fuss. The bumpers are sprayed separately (possibly in a different factory or country) to the rest of the car. Here's a video of a F30 being made -

It's possible for them to send you a new rear bumper already painted in EBII without any orange peel.
If it only takes 15 minutes to make an F30, why have I had to wait 10 weeks
Appreciate 0