F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > OEM Alarm retrofit or third party
Extreme Powerhouse

08-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Neneonline
Rep
Drives: F33 440i

OEM Alarm retrofit or third party

Hi bimmers,

I am considering installing an alarm in my F33 and would like to get your advice.

I see that BMW offers a retrofit of their OEM alarm.

The other mainstream alternative I've found in Spain is using a Cobra alarm (Cobra is now part of Vodafone as they bought them). The advantage of this alarm is that it includes EU vehicle tracking and remote disconnect.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Víctor
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't bother with an alarm. If you don't want it stolen install a hidden ignition cutoff switch. Don't you have BMW Assist vehicle recovery service? It came no charge with mine for a ten year subscription.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
Neneonline
Rep

Thanks for your answer!

Not installing an alarm has always been my option... will do some research on ignition switches. Have always wondered if a professional thief will be set back by it.

I guess that what you say is that alarms (OEM or third party) will not be significantly more secure than a hidden switch, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Alarms tend to be ignored. One thing to note is that BMW has a very low theft rate. That's partly because even if they get into the car without a fob they can't start it. The exception is using a radio repeater on a CA car, and then a hidden switch that kills the ignition stops them cold. The main reason BMWs are seldom stolen is that cars are mainly stolen for their parts, and there's not much demand for BMW parts because so few people own them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Neneonline
Rep

BTW, @Billfitz... I had never heard about the "BMW Assist vehicle recovery service". I will ask in my dealer.

Now... if getting my car back depends on reliability of car location service... then it seems scary. My connected drive app works awfully. I guess this is off-topic.
Appreciate 0