F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Harman Kardon sound issues
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
bailey85
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F32 435D Msport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London England

iTrader: (0)

Harman Kardon sound issues

Hi All,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle!

I have a 2016 F32 435D M sport coupe with the Harman Kardon system in it which is giving me some issues.

The system sounds fine at first however during a long drive with the system at a sound level around mid way the drivers side (RHS, Im from the UK) door speaker begins to sound really distorted. With the system turned up high, the problem is less obvious, I assume that this is because its being drowned out by the other speakers.

Ive had the car back to BMW 3 times to sort, they have had it a total of 5 days, they have replaced the door speaker and finally the amp to no avail. Ive now raised this as a dispute because its costing me a fortune in time off work to rectify, I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues?

Many thanks,

Guy
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
1837
Rep
5,983
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey85 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle!

I have a 2016 F32 435D M sport coupe with the Harman Kardon system in it which is giving me some issues.

The system sounds fine at first however during a long drive with the system at a sound level around mid way the drivers side (RHS, Im from the UK) door speaker begins to sound really distorted. With the system turned up high, the problem is less obvious, I assume that this is because its being drowned out by the other speakers.

Ive had the car back to BMW 3 times to sort, they have had it a total of 5 days, they have replaced the door speaker and finally the amp to no avail. Ive now raised this as a dispute because its costing me a fortune in time off work to rectify, I was just wondering if anyone else had had similar issues?

Many thanks,

Guy
Turn off L7

Do you still have issue?
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
tympj
Yellow Jacket
United_States
2
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i Orion Silver
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Foxboro, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Have you modified the EQ settings? If so, can you give us the settings? There are so many experts on this site that can help you with improving the sound of your HK system.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
DonVito
New Member
DonVito's Avatar
Canada
17
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Like tympj said, try adjusting the EQ. If they've already replaced the speaker and the amp, doesn't sound like a hardware issue. I was amazed by how different the system sounds with some adjustments to the EQ.

Pretty well-known post for HK EQ settings:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=954719
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #5
bailey85
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F32 435D Msport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London England

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all of the input folks, its much appreciated.

I'll take a look tonight after work and post my findings.

One quick question though, if the settings were out wouldn't that give a fault immediately? My system appears to only mess up after a lengthy run as if to suggest something is getting hot and not working correctly?

Many thanks

Guy
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
Captain
enjoythemusic's Avatar
310
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Not sure if your 435 suffers the same problem as the one here, as the center channel is 'time delayed' incorrectly and so there are sound problems / distorition. Since this is easy and free to try, try unhooking the center channel and listen.
__________________
Enjoy the Drive,

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
bailey85
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F32 435D Msport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London England

iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

So this is how my system was already set up (I hope the pictures have worked).

Ive altered it now to what was suggested in DonVitos post, and will give it an extensive test on the weekend and see if it plays up. If and when it does, Ill turn off the L7 as IK6speed has suggested.

Many thanks
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
bailey85
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: F32 435D Msport Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not sure if your 435 suffers the same problem as the one here, as the center channel is 'time delayed' incorrectly and so there are sound problems / distorition. Since this is easy and free to try, try unhooking the center channel and listen.
Thanks for the help, excuse me for asking but when you say unhooking the centre channel, what does that mean in layman terms?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
andrew.webber
Private First Class
20
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: F30 328ise
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: East Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey85 View Post
Thanks for the help, excuse me for asking but when you say unhooking the centre channel, what does that mean in layman terms?
I am not sure if the UK spec HK equipped cars have them - I think they do but it will be a mid and tweeter speaker in the centre of the dashboard up by the windscreen of course

HTH
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
Captain
enjoythemusic's Avatar
310
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey85 View Post
Thanks for the help, excuse me for asking but when you say unhooking the centre channel, what does that mean in layman terms?
There are two screws at the top/center of your dash. Tight space, yet unscrew the cover, unscrew the tweeter and midrange and unhook them electrically. The reinstall speakers (not hooked up) and cover.

Free to try, give it a listen as you can always re-hook up the speakers. IMHO the center channel speaker is a time/phase disaster and not properly 'tuned' to the driver position.
__________________
Enjoy the Drive,

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
There are two screws at the top/center of your dash. Tight space, yet unscrew the cover, unscrew the tweeter and midrange and unhook them electrically. The reinstall speakers (not hooked up) and cover.

Free to try, give it a listen as you can always re-hook up the speakers. IMHO the center channel speaker is a time/phase disaster and not properly 'tuned' to the driver position.
There is a simpler way to unhook the center channel speakers: 1.) Take off the plastic trim on the passenger side of the car. 2.) locate white connector, connecting twisted purple/black + black/white wire coming from the HK AMP to the center channel speakers (both mid + tweeter) and disconnect it.
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST