F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW Fxx/Gxx B58 OBD Flashing is now supported by mFlasher
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

08-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #287
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
in over 20 years of owning many different models of BMW I cannot recall having my car flashed more than once let alone twice.

I haven't seen or heard of many people getting their cars flashed multiple times. Once or twice should be the norm.

And having the tune redone not reflashed I can understand their model of business. I think it's fair.
Being able to put the 'previous' tune back on for free is good.

As for flashing, remember that if the dealership upgrades ANY of your firmwares, they do them all, which would overwrite the tune. So, it's not even specifically engine ECU updates that would cause the dealership to overwrite the tune. I've had my car reprogrammed 4 or 5 times now, partially due to some features removed with one of the updates, and then restored eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #288
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Quote:
in over 20 years of owning many different models of BMW I cannot recall having my car flashed more than once let alone twice.

I haven't seen or heard of many people getting their cars flashed multiple times. Once or twice should be the norm.

And having the tune redone not reflashed I can understand their model of business. I think it's fair.
Being able to put the 'previous' tune back on for free is good.

As for flashing, remember that if the dealership upgrades ANY of your firmwares, they do them all, which would overwrite the tune. So, it's not even specifically engine ECU updates that would cause the dealership to overwrite the tune. I've had my car reprogrammed 4 or 5 times now, partially due to some features removed with one of the updates, and then restored eventually.
Not saying it doesn't happen but it would be the minority having your car flashed more than twice.

If I've read it right if the old tune is put on then you can do it yourself or it's free?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #289
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

NVM
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #290
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Locally in AU dealers will only flash if there is a need to. Ie safety or an update addresses a customer particular complaint.

They won't just do it because there is an update available.

I would be surprised if the rest of the world doesn't follow the same approach. Time is money at the end of the day.
      08-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #291
MissionPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Locally in AU dealers will only flash if there is a need to. Ie safety or an update addresses a customer particular complaint.

They won't just do it because there is an update available.

I would be surprised if the rest of the world doesn't follow the same approach. Time is money at the end of the day.
That is very much so. Since N55 and B58 release, there was only 3 update released that actually addressed a flaw in software, and all 65 other updates had minor changes such as burble duration, smog compliance, rpm setpoints for cold start and such. Out of 65 of those updates, none where mandatory.
But BMW does flash your entire car since they can not flash only 1 specific module) anytime you have a complaint related to anything electrical. If you have "rough trans shift" they will update your entire car just like if your car feels "laggy".
Other then complains, BMW will not flash your car typically during routine maintenance visits.

Quote:
Not saying it doesn't happen but it would be the minority having your car flashed more than twice.

If I've read it right if the old tune is put on then you can do it yourself or it's free?
Correct. If your car gets flashed time after time, you can go back to older version of the tune using our tool for free.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #292
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i GT Xdrive M Package

Flashed my 340GT today!

Alex sent me the email with the link to flash my car today. I hooked up my laptop and it took about 10 minutes total. Took the car out for a drive and it is as smooth as stock just faster. Drove it 20 miles with no issues whatsoever...Fingers crossed. The sport gages changed to 480 for horsepower and 400 torque stayed the same however when pushing the car the torque gage goes to redline which it never did before always stopping at about 330. Really slams you in your seat and feels much more powerful in every gear. There is no perceptible turbo lag and it is very hot here in the northeast...about 92. I opted for the stage 2 flash and the car is at the shop now for the VRSF downpipe which is very well made by the way. I'll update once I get the car back with the pipe installed. I also have a BMS intake on the car...otherwise it's stock. I had a JB4 on the car for about 8 months and it was definitely faster than stock but it was always jumpy and inconsistent. Always bogging down at shift points under full throttle...That is gone now. Also, after a recent BMW update due to a malfunctioning headunit the JB 4 needed to be completely removed as it was causing a drivetrain malfunction error along with a laundry list of other issues. I'm sure BMS is working on a fix for this latest BMW update. So far so good...And by the way Alex was on the phone with me during the install as I had a few questions...I feel that is top notch service! I'm in PA near Philly so that's very cool!
Appreciate 7
      08-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #293
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Stix View Post
Alex sent me the email with the link to flash my car today. I hooked up my laptop and it took about 10 minutes total. Took the car out for a drive and it is as smooth as stock just faster. Drove it 20 miles with no issues whatsoever...Fingers crossed. The sport gages changed to 480 for horsepower and 400 torque stayed the same however when pushing the car the torque gage goes to redline which it never did before always stopping at about 330. Really slams you in your seat and feels much more powerful in every gear. There is no perceptible turbo lag and it is very hot here in the northeast...about 92. I opted for the stage 2 flash and the car is at the shop now for the VRSF downpipe which is very well made by the way. I'll update once I get the car back with the pipe installed. I also have a BMS intake on the car...otherwise it's stock. I had a JB4 on the car for about 8 months and it was definitely faster than stock but it was always jumpy and inconsistent. Always bogging down at shift points under full throttle...That is gone now. Also, after a recent BMW update due to a malfunctioning headunit the JB 4 needed to be completely removed as it was causing a drivetrain malfunction error along with a laundry list of other issues. I'm sure BMS is working on a fix for this latest BMW update. So far so good...And by the way Alex was on the phone with me during the install as I had a few questions...I feel that is top notch service! I'm in PA near Philly so that's very cool!
Nice! This is good to know. Overall besides the JB4 bugs, does the flash tune feel faster or equivalent?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #294
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep

Faster better stronger....like the six million dollar man...All kidding aside...It feels faster and smoother...Like stock just better...No throttle closure at all...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #295
Aset
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Would be niceto see some videos vs stock car
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #296
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Stix View Post
Nice! I think the DP is really going to make a noticeable difference. Fingers crossed you get no throttle closures with the DP.
      08-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #297
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I pick the car up from my buddies muffler shop...Fingers and toes crossed. Compared to the JB4 it feels like stock just faster in all gears...You get mashed into your seat and the shifts are not harsh but more powerful. All the jerkiness of the JB4 is gone. I can't wait to hear it with the open pipe. What really impressed me was I called Mission several times and Alex answered the phone and was a total professional. That's worth the price of admission in my book. I did the tune myself sitting in my driveway and it took 10 seconds to hook up and ten minutes while the computer did it's thing. No running wires through the engine compartment into the cab...nothing! Time will tell, but so far I'm impressed with the service and hope others will post their experiences too.
Appreciate 1
B58togo808.50
      08-07-2018, 12:00 AM   #298
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Nice! I think the DP is really going to make a noticeable difference. Fingers crossed you get no throttle closures with the DP.
He's not going to get any throttle closures with the DP. I'm already there, nothing but clean pulling in each gear. I actually had to drive 3 1/2 hrs to visit family over the weekend and back with no stops once on the road. Still drives like stock but pulls hard to redline and is just better on all angles. Couldn't get to the track last week cause of rain but hopefully I can this Friday and see what I can pull. Now that throttle closures is gone I'm itching for more. Man I'm bit with the bug bad
Appreciate 1
B58togo808.50
      08-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #299
Vinnie Stix
Private
United_States
Rep

So true about how it pulls to redline. It's as smooth as stock just way faster. It's kind of addicting lol. No lag in any gear...Never did a flash before, always piggybacks...what a difference man...Wow!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #300
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Got mine flashed yesterday... Stage 2 (kittyless DP, intake). Pulls hard allll the way to 7. And crisp shifts up top as well. I gave my homie with a stock 340i a ride last night and he was blown away. Dyno thursday and dragy numbers as well. Will keep posted.
B58togo808.50
ceedawg467.50
Mehim76.50
      08-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #301
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Got mine flashed yesterday... Stage 2 (kittyless DP, intake). Pulls hard allll the way to 7. And crisp shifts up top as well. I gave my homie with a stock 340i a ride last night and he was blown away. Dyno thursday and dragy numbers as well. Will keep posted.
I'm very interested to hear about your dyno numbers and track pulls. What supporting mods do u have? It definitely feels more addicting than with just JB4. I don't know about u guys but i can also hear the turbo spool alot better as well driving around town in sport. You're gonna love the DP combo with it by the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #302
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlow View Post
I'm very interested to hear about your dyno numbers and track pulls. What supporting mods do u have? It definitely feels more addicting than with just JB4. I don't know about u guys but i can also hear the turbo spool alot better as well driving around town in sport. You're gonna love the DP combo with it by the way.
Just ER DP, catback and AP intake as listed. Also have 3.5 gal of e85 in the tank. The intake was loud with stock tuning but yeah it whistles its ass of now lol.

Ill make a new thread on thursday with dyno numbers.
ceedawg467.50
      08-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #303
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just ER DP, catback and AP intake as listed. Also have 3.5 gal of e85 in the tank. The intake was loud with stock tuning but yeah it whistles its ass of now lol.

Ill make a new thread on thursday with dyno numbers.
Kool, you also have the same dp as me. I've been thinking about the axleback and pure stage 1 lately, how's the setup with the exhaust feel and sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #304
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Kool, you also have the same dp as me. I've been thinking about the axleback and pure stage 1 lately, how's the setup with the exhaust feel and sound?
I like loud exhaust, so its a lot of fun. Meisterschaft does come with a valve so I can quiet it up when I want. Burble was loud before, but now it really goes off haha. explosive. I have debated pure stage 1 as well, really dont know how worth it it would be.
      08-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #305
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I like loud exhaust, so its a lot of fun. Meisterschaft does come with a valve so I can quiet it up when I want. Burble was loud before, but now it really goes off haha. explosive. I have debated pure stage 1 as well, really dont know how worth it it would be.
Yeah I'm curious how much power it would add. I like the price point of approximately $1,100 but u usually pay for what u get, I don't see aftermarket turbos being sold for that cheap usually. Also I wonder with our supporting mods if it will give a bit more than the 30hp estimate for a stock non meth car. Mine isn't stock but isn't meth either, does that mean I could expect somewhere in between as expected gains? I also am not sure if fueling and tranny issues would prevent getting the max from this and I don't hear many reviews about it at all which is concerning, maybe I'm just early to the party so I guess I'll stay patient at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #306
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm curious how much power it would add. I like the price point of approximately $1,100 but u usually pay for what u get, I don't see aftermarket turbos being sold for that cheap usually. Also I wonder with our supporting mods if it will give a bit more than the 30hp estimate for a stock non meth car. Mine isn't stock but isn't meth either, does that mean I could expect somewhere in between as expected gains? I also am not sure if fueling and tranny issues would prevent getting the max from this and I don't hear many reviews about it at all which is concerning, maybe I'm just early to the party so I guess I'll stay patient at this point.
Yes. Also adding in installation fees, might as well go PS2.
      08-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #307
FLY_M240i
///M Lover
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2017 Estoril Blue BMW M240i

Yesterday I just did the read out for my car, hopefully today I will get back from Alex the tune with some modifications to start dialing this setup! Really excited to see what it can do!

Colombia F-Series BMW Road Course lap time record!

Water Meth Injection, JB4, BMS Billet Intake, BigBoost Stage 3 turbo, Throttle Body Injection!

11.5 @ 204 km/h(126 mph)
Map 7 75 additive
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      08-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #308
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_M240i View Post
Yesterday I just did the read out for my car, hopefully today I will get back from Alex the tune with some modifications to start dialing this setup! Really excited to see what it can do!
Keep us posted!!
Closed Thread