F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock F30 335i Axle Back Exhaust Muffler Modification and Dissection
proTUNING Freaks

02-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #199
N26Ghost
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
I just cut it open today and applied about 5oz of JB weld across all of the holes. Pretty sure I got them all but it was a bit hard to see all of the ones on the bottom half. Not really sure what to do about the packing material though. I guess the 3 options are:

- put it back in chambers 1 and 3, or
- put it in the center chamber
- throw it in the trash

Any thoughts?

I'm having a local welder close it up tomorrow afternoon as the JB weld needs about 24hrs to fully cure. Based on the pictures I sent him he's pretty convinced the canister is stainless steel.
Did you close up all of the holes in all of the chambers? Or just chamber 2?

Also, what material did the welder use to close up the opening?
      04-09-2019, 11:51 PM   #200
TwistedX
Really Twisted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i F23 8AT

Have we confirmed: outside/case is stainless steel and interior tubing is regular steel?
      04-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #201
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedX View Post
Have we confirmed: outside/case is stainless steel and interior tubing is regular steel?
I did this on my car a few weeks ago. To answer your question, outside casing is stainless steel, inside is regular steel.
      07-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #202
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Bumping a older thread here; wondering if anyone has used exhaust wrap instead of spot welding all of the holes closed? I saw one post mention using wrap but no confirmation.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...03913138&psc=1

What i am thinking is using something like the above to wrap around the portions of tubing in chambers 1 and 3 that have holes in them, then using saftey wire/metal zip ties to secure the wrap snugly in place before sealing the muffler back up. I see two main advantages to this approach: (1) Its reversible incase the sound is undesireable and (2) you can cover the holes on the bottom of the muffler without cutting open both sides. I imagine there is not that much back pressure so the exhaust wrap should be able to "seal" over the holes reliably?

Any input is apprecaited.

(Side note just wanted to confirm the muffers are the same as the OP on a 2015 335i EWG car?)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #203
Jadar
Brigadier General
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Bumping a older thread here; wondering if anyone has used exhaust wrap instead of spot welding all of the holes closed? I saw one post mention using wrap but no confirmation.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...3138&psc=1

What i am thinking is using something like the above to wrap around the portions of tubing in chambers 1 and 3 that have holes in them, then using saftey wire/metal zip ties to secure the wrap snugly in place before sealing the muffler back up. I see two main advantages to this approach: (1) Its reversible incase the sound is undesireable and (2) you can cover the holes on the bottom of the muffler without cutting open both sides. I imagine there is not that much back pressure so the exhaust wrap should be able to "seal" over the holes reliably?

(Side note just wanted to confirm the muffers are the same as the OP on a 2015 335i EWG car?)
Yeah I don't see why the wrap wouldn't work and it sure makes things easier. Some people mentioned they were going to try JB WELD but no one has reported back yet.

Yes the mufflers are the same. Only difference on the 35i mufflers was if it's a 235i or a 335/435 they had different mounting points is all. The 235i has a slightly different curved 3" exhaust path, I'm assuming due to shorter wheel base.

I've been out of my F30 for quite some time now it's always nice to see sown of these old threads come back from the dead .
      07-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #204
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...3138&psc=1

Yeah I don't see why the wrap wouldn't work and it sure makes things easier. Some people mentioned they were going to try JB WELD but no one has reported back yet.

Yes the mufflers are the same. Only difference on the 35i mufflers was if it's a 235i or a 335/435 they had different mounting points is all. The 235i has a slightly different curved 3" exhaust path, I'm assuming due to shorter wheel base.

I've been out of my F30 for quite some time now it's always nice to see sown of these old threads come back from the dead .
I did the PE mod a couple months ago. Used wrap on one of the sections and covered the Y section in JB Weld. Also sealed the muffler back up with JB Weld. It's been solid and I'm confident it will hold fine for quite a while. Can post pics when I get some time.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1619.50