F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F2x F3x) discussion ☚
European Auto Source (EAS)

01-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #287
ChrisFulton
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Google Play store finally allowed me to purchase the logger.
Can those of you that have used it answer a few questions?

I intend to use it manually and know the procedure that MHD is requesting as to what gear etc.

Does it store the logs/data in the App?
I can make multiple runs and it stores them separately/doesn't write over the previous run?
How did you send the logs to MHD? Datazap.me?

Anything else I should know?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #288
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Thought I saw someone post about MHD working on an iOS compatible version of this software, anybody able to give some sort of update on when us non-android people can expect this?
      01-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #289
Dc444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 N55 335i AT

Just flashed stage 2 on my 2013 n55 pwg, coming from the jb4 stage 2. Havnt spent too much time on it yet but my initial thoughts are that it's a lot less jerky, which is a good thing. I know it's still in beta but will there be any chance of a 94 oct map?
Appreciate 1
MHD Tuning1621.00

01-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #290
BeeEyez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Dinan Stage 3

So I purchased an android tablet, otg connector and the twisted tuning DKAN cable, plugged in the cable to the tablet, checked that it was otg supported and it was. Plugged it into OBD2 port and it briefly lit up and then went dark, opened the MHD app, and attempted to read codes and got the ďcannot connect to ecuĒ message. Tried numerous switch positions on the DKAN cable, no luck. Bought another tablet, did the same thing, still no connection.

Tried with ignition off, on, and car running and canít get it to connect. Iíve had my car coded within the last month so I know the OBD2 port is good on my car, the cable is most likely good because it from twisted tuning, the tablets both were brand new and both supported otg, test the otg connector with a usb stick and it reads that, Iíve for sure been accepted into the beta program and have the correct app installed, tried with airplane mode on and off and I just canít seem to get this thing to talk with my car? What am I doing wrong lol I know it most likely something really simple but itís super annoying! Any tips from anyone thatís had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #291
Munchi435i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Google Play store finally allowed me to purchase the logger.
Can those of you that have used it answer a few questions?

I intend to use it manually and know the procedure that MHD is requesting as to what gear etc.

Does it store the logs/data in the App?
I can make multiple runs and it stores them separately/doesn't write over the previous run?
How did you send the logs to MHD? Datazap.me?

Anything else I should know?
It will be saved in the app and your able to view a graph in the app as well. You can find the file's in your documents folder on your phone.

Multiple runs will be stored as separate files.

Once I found the files in document folder, I shared them into an email and sent to mhd.

I haven't used datazap yet
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #292
ChrisFulton
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
It will be saved in the app and your able to view a graph in the app as well. You can find the file's in your documents folder on your phone.

Once I found the files in document folder, I shared them into an email and sent to mhd.

Thanks Munchi!
That's what needed to know.
I plan some early morning runs tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #293
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post

Hows the car run man? Just got an email from MHD wanting to get the info on my car. Need to send asap.

I see they have like 4 items listed for sale so other than the flasher (249.00) all the other stuff has to be purchased as well I'd assume? Car is bone stock and just want the tune for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #294
jeppe777
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

has anyone dyno'd jb4 vs mhd ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #295
SLVRsurfr_32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Hows the car run man? Just got an email from MHD wanting to get the info on my car. Need to send asap.

I see they have like 4 items listed for sale so other than the flasher (249.00) all the other stuff has to be purchased as well I'd assume? Car is bone stock and just want the tune for now.
Yep ceedawg , need to buy the monitor plus the stages you want to purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #296
f32_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i

WOW.

Just had a chance to properly drive my car on stage 2+ 93 Octane and all I can say is HOLY SHIT.

This thing pulls sooooo relentlessly - very aggressive, yet smooth and linear power. The top end is unreal. It just does not stop. 90-170kms happens very, very quickly. Highway driving has seriously never been so fun. Bravo, MHD.

This is noticeably more powerful than the Dinan Stage 3 Piggyback. Specifically, the DS3 seems to die out at the top end when doing pulls on the highway, where as that is not at all what happens for the flash tune.

Also, comfort is way faster than before with DS3. Dare I say it...comfort is fun and pretty quick now! On the highway, Comfort mode with the MHD flash is faster and has more power than Sport and Sport+ with DS3. Very interesting.

Of course, Sport and Sport + is on a whole other level. You feel really confident with the amount of power because you feel like the car won't let you down.

My Dinan springs and Shockware are being put to good use now - it makes me wonder how great coilovers must feel!

Overall, the car feels like a beast.
Holy crap.
I'm very impressed.

...and I'm very excited for the future iterations of these flash tunes.

MHD Tuning

Guys, please release the cold start delete feature soon - I would love to continue testing late at night (when the roads are clear), and not have to be concerned about waking anyone up at home or next door
Appreciate 6
      01-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #297
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Thanks Munchi!
That's what needed to know.
I plan some early morning runs tomorrow.
Yep they're stored as csv files on your android device.

No need to upload to datazap unless you're sharing the logs with other parties (for e.g. other posters on this forum) that you don't want to share your personal email with. Otherwise you can just gmail the log directly to MHD from your android device, just click compose -> attachments and go into the folder where MHD stores the log file (go into the MHD app to see the path for the log file).

If you do decide to upload to datazap, you'll first have to change the extension of the log file to .csv (right click -> rename).
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #298
JSiri335I
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32_027 View Post
WOW.

Just had a chance to properly drive my car on stage 2+ 93 Octane and all I can say is HOLY SHIT.

This thing pulls sooooo relentlessly - very aggressive and linear power. The top end is unreal. It just doesn't stop. 90-170kms happens very, very quickly. Highway driving has seriously never been so fun. Bravo, MHD.

This is noticeably more powerful than the Dinan Stage 3 Piggyback. Specifically, the DS3 seems to die out at the top end when doing pulls on the highway, where as that is not at all what happens for the flash tune.

Also, comfort is way faster than before with DS3. Dare I say it...comfort is fun and pretty quick now! On the highway, Comfort mode with the MHD flash is faster and has more power than Sport and Sport+ with DS3. Very interesting.

Of course, Sport and Sport + is on a whole other level. You feel really confident with the amount of power because you feel like the car won't let you down.

My Dinan springs and Shockware are being put to good use now - it makes me wonder how great coilovers must feel!

Holy crap.
I'm very impressed.

MHD Tuning

Guys, please release the cold start delete feature soon - I would love to continue testing late at night (when the roads are clear), and not have to be concerned about waking anyone up at home or next door

Please do show! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:57 AM   #299
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
WOW.

This thing pulls sooooo relentlessly - very aggressive and linear power. The top end is unreal. It just doesn't stop. 90-170kms happens very, very quickly. Highway driving has seriously never been so fun. Bravo, MHD.

Holy crap.
I'm very impressed.

MHD Tuning

LOL ditto mate! Wow I'm impressed that MHD is so much better than even Dinan. I had the Racechip piggyback which I swore was the best thing since sliced bread, it was that good. And MHD just blows that out of the water. But even Dinan??

Great work MHD Tuning!
435i Gran Coupe | ///M Sport Pkg | 430hp | MHD Stage 2+ | BMS Intake | Catless Downpipe | FMIC | Black Sapphire exterior | 9H Ceramic Coating | Black Anthracite interior | 19" Black ///M Wheels | Red ///M Brake Calipers | ///M Steering wheel | ///M Metal Pedals | Alcantara dash panel | Carbon Fiber trims and gear knob | Angel Eyes LEDs | Surround Cameras | Spoiler | Coded ///M iDrive, Mirrors, HUD |
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:03 AM   #300
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Just had a mate test drive my stage 2. I wish I'd taken a picture of his dropped jaw!!! He'd driven my bimmer back when it was stock and loved it then. Now after the MHD tune, he was half suspicious that I was lying about getting such a massive power upgrade from a simple flash tune....and for under $500 no less.

A half dozen pulls later, he was grinning ear to ear and I think I just converted another one to the bimmer darkside!
Appreciate 1
MHD Tuning1621.00

01-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #301
valve float
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
WOW.

This thing pulls sooooo relentlessly - very aggressive, yet smooth and linear power. The top end is unreal. It just does not stop. 90-170kms happens very, very quickly. Highway driving has seriously never been so fun. Bravo, MHD.

Holy crap.
I'm very impressed.

MHD Tuning

have you logged any pulls...?

running the 93oct map on Canadian 94oct is risky IMO...our fuel is sh!t and is generally considered by tuners at best equilvalent to ACN91...

i bet you're pulling mega timing and risking detonation...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #302
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEyez View Post
So I purchased an android tablet, otg connector and the twisted tuning DKAN cable, plugged in the cable to the tablet, checked that it was otg supported and it was. Plugged it into OBD2 port and it briefly lit up and then went dark, opened the MHD app, and attempted to read codes and got the “cannot connect to ecu” message. Tried numerous switch positions on the DKAN cable, no luck. Bought another tablet, did the same thing, still no connection.

Tried with ignition off, on, and car running and can’t get it to connect. I’ve had my car coded within the last month so I know the OBD2 port is good on my car, the cable is most likely good because it from twisted tuning, the tablets both were brand new and both supported otg, test the otg connector with a usb stick and it reads that, I’ve for sure been accepted into the beta program and have the correct app installed, tried with airplane mode on and off and I just can’t seem to get this thing to talk with my car? What am I doing wrong lol I know it most likely something really simple but it’s super annoying! Any tips from anyone that’s had a similar issue?
Mate it took me three tries to get it right, so let me see if I can help you out here.

When you first connected your DKAN cable to your tablet via OTG, did you get an automatic popup asking you to use a default app for that USB connection? Because if not, then that cable is probably not the right one.

So apparently, even amongst DKAN cables there are different firmwares. And not all of them play well for flashing. Some will work perfectly for coding but not flashing, whilst others will work perfectly for diagnostics but not coding. This is well documented on various bimmer forums.

So being that you've purchased a different tablet (I'm assuming this was a brand new tablet with a late android version), confirmed your OTG works, are confident your OBD port is good, and app is good (beta only lets you find the app with your gmail account, those not invited to beta would never find the app on gplay store. Once you've downloded the app, it works the same for anyone) I think the problem likely lies with your DCAN cable. I'd recommend getting the bimmergeeks K+DCAN cable. That's the one that MHD itself recommends. Good luck!

Last edited by Mountain_Commando; 01-14-2018 at 01:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:23 AM   #303
f32_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve float View Post
Quote:
WOW.

Holy crap.
I'm very impressed.

MHD Tuning

have you logged any pulls...?

running the 93oct map on Canadian 94oct is risky IMO...our fuel is sh!t and is generally considered by tuners at best equilvalent to ACN91...

i bet you're pulling mega timing and risking detonation...
Yeah, that's what I heard as well (that our gas is shit). I used 94 Chevron.

Yeah, I can't speak to timing or detonation - only how the experience was and how the car felt.

I think I logged at least two-three! Just have to figure out where the hell they are.

Will figure that out.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:23 AM   #304
Twisted Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEyez View Post
So I purchased an android tablet, otg connector and the twisted tuning DKAN cable, plugged in the cable to the tablet, checked that it was otg supported and it was. Plugged it into OBD2 port and it briefly lit up and then went dark, opened the MHD app, and attempted to read codes and got the ďcannot connect to ecuĒ message. Tried numerous switch positions on the DKAN cable, no luck. Bought another tablet, did the same thing, still no connection.

Tried with ignition off, on, and car running and canít get it to connect. Iíve had my car coded within the last month so I know the OBD2 port is good on my car, the cable is most likely good because it from twisted tuning, the tablets both were brand new and both supported otg, test the otg connector with a usb stick and it reads that, Iíve for sure been accepted into the beta program and have the correct app installed, tried with airplane mode on and off and I just canít seem to get this thing to talk with my car? What am I doing wrong lol I know it most likely something really simple but itís super annoying! Any tips from anyone thatís had a similar issue?
Kill all apps.....then Go to settings, then "Apps"..... In the top right you will see 3 vertical dots. Tap that then select "reset app preferences"

Make sure the switch remains to the right. (if you're looking at the label, the tuning side of "twisted tuning")

Plug cable into the device. Wait for MHD to autostart. Then you should see a pop up asking if you want to use that connection for the app. Select yes. You should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any issues
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #305
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post

Yeah mate you'd have to purchase the logger as well. Think of it as the price to pay for getting the sweet stuff early in beta.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #306
f32_027
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Commando View Post
Yep they're stored as csv files on your android device.

No need to upload to datazap unless you're sharing the logs with other parties (for e.g. other posters on this forum) that you don't want to share your personal email with. Otherwise you can just gmail the log directly to MHD from your android device, just click compose -> attachments and go into the folder where MHD stores the log file (go into the MHD app to see the path for the log file).

If you do decide to upload to datazap, you'll first have to change the extension of the log file to .csv (right click -> rename).
So I found the list of all of my logs (within the app - under the monitor section - graph a log). So they do exist. Great. I'll have re-do them tonight or tomorrow, because I just have a huge list of a bunch of logs, as the app was open on auto log for quite some time (can I delete them and start fresh?). Because there's a huge list, I don't know which logs are the ones where I followed the protocol re: 4th 2500rpm etc.

When I get the logs organized, I'll need to attach them in an email and send them to MHD.

I am using a Samsung Tablet (I don't think that makes a difference as android is android).

Anyway, when I open the Gmail app on the tablet, and go to attach - I don't know how to find the logs as it doesn't really give me any options that would make sense. Within attachments in gmail (on the tablet), the only things I can select are: Recent; Images; Videos; Downloads; Gallery; Sounds - and these are not close to anything within the MHD app - nor do these lead to the logs.

When I look at the logs within the app, it does tell me where the file is on the tablet, but, I still can't navigate to that through gmail.

If anyone can PM to help, that would be awesome. Should be relatively straight forward once someone guides me once.

Last edited by f32_027; 01-14-2018 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:35 AM   #307
BeeEyez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Dinan Stage 3

Quote:
When you first connected your DKAN cable to your tablet via OTG, did you get an automatic popup asking you to use a default app for that USB connection? Because if not, then that cable is probably not the right one.
Got the pop up to come up on the first time I plugged in the DKAN cable + OTG connector into both tablets. So I think the cable is correct.

Quote:
So apparently, even amongst DKAN cables there are different firmwares. And not all of them play well for flashing. Some will work perfectly for coding but not flashing, whilst others will work perfectly for diagnostics but not coding. This is well documented on various bimmer forums.
Although its not the "Bimmergeeks" cable that was recommended by MHD, it is the Blaze cable from Twisted Tuning, which seems to be a reputable vendor and is answering quite a few questions in this thread, so I still think the cable should be good for flashing if its by them.

Quote:
So being that you've purchased a different tablet (I'm assuming this was a brand new tablet with a late android version), confirmed your OTG works, are confident your OBD port is good, and app is good (beta only lets you find the app with your gmail account, those not invited to beta would never find the app on gplay store. Once you've downloded the app, it works the same for anyone) I think the problem likely lies with your DCAN cable. I'd recommend getting the bimmergeeks K+DCAN cable. That's the one that MHD itself recommends. Good luck!
- 2 tablets (brand new), check.
- OTG works as ive tested with both using an OTG checker app from the google play store as well as used a USB stick to confirm that it reads properly, check.
- OBD2 port has been used within the last month to flash random things on my car such as mirror folding when locking etc., check.
- have the beta version of the MHD flasher f series app from the email that was sent from MHD, check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Tuning View Post
Kill all apps.....then Go to settings, then "Apps"..... In the top right you will see 3 vertical dots. Tap that then select "reset app preferences"

Make sure the switch remains to the right. (if you're looking at the label, the tuning side of "twisted tuning")

Plug cable into the device. Wait for MHD to autostart. Then you should see a pop up asking if you want to use that connection for the app. Select yes. You should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any issues
Ill give this a try again, hopefully resetting the app prefs helps things.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:21 AM   #308
Mountain_Commando
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, when I open the Gmail app on the tablet, and go to attach - I don't know how to find the logs as it doesn't really give me any options that would make sense. Within attachments in gmail (on the tablet), the only things I can select are: Recent; Images; Videos; Downloads; Gallery; Sounds - and these are not close to anything within the MHD app - nor do these lead to the logs. .
Try 'Recent' and see if you can browse away to the log location. Else you could hook up your tablet to your pc via USB, and that will let you browse the entirety of your tablet's content via your PC.
Appreciate 1
f32_027113.50