F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F2x F3x) discussion ☚
proTUNING Freaks

01-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #3697
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335imax View Post
Seems to happen more frequently on warm days. I think it happens on first acceleration after sitting for a while, or cold start. Almost like the vehicle is not getting fuel. But its 1 and done for the driving session. I usually don't let the car warm up. I just start it and drive off. I will try starting and let it idle for 30 seconds and then drive off and report.
So you are completely stock, correct?

When was the last time you checked or changed your spark plugs?

Was your car affected by the HPFP recall?
      01-15-2020, 09:41 AM   #3698
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Seems to happen more frequently on warm days. I think it happens on first acceleration after sitting for a while, or cold start. Almost like the vehicle is not getting fuel. But its 1 and done for the driving session. I usually don't let the car warm up. I just start it and drive off. I will try starting and let it idle for 30 seconds and then drive off and report.
When did this issue start happening?
Is it in relation to having the MHD OTS map installed?

I think that we can generally rule out tune/configuration errors by flashing back to stage 0 or, in worst case, stock.

If this were my car, I would flash to "stage 0" so that the car can start up cold / after sitting on stage 0.
- Note if the issue still happens

If the issue still happened, I would flash back to stock.

THEN, if the issue still happened, I would resort into diagnosing hardware.

2 pence.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #3699
335imax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Additional Info

I have only had the tune on the car 30 days, and it started the first day I installed the tune. I have not tried running on stage 0, but can. I have no performance mods yet, no intake, all stock. I am glad nobody else has this problem leading me to believe its not the tune, its the car. I have an extended warranty but with no thrown codes not sure what to complain about. I am at 50k miles and I'm sure the plugs are original.
      01-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #3700
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have only had the tune on the car 30 days, and it started the first day I installed the tune.

Quote:
I am glad nobody else has this problem leading me to believe its not the tune
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #3701
e38740imd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

another quick question

if i wanted to run the MHD Stage2+ with the JB4 quick install would this cause a problem?

do i need to flashed mhd backend flash or just install the quick install tuner and be happy

https://burgertuning.com/collections...-install-tuner
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #3702
AmuroRay
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e38740imd View Post
another quick question

if i wanted to run the MHD Stage2+ with the JB4 quick install would this cause a problem?

do i need to flashed mhd backend flash or just install the quick install tuner and be happy

https://burgertuning.com/collections...-install-tuner
Yes, MHD has said JV4 will cause an issues, even on map 0. Remove it.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #3703
e38740imd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Yes, MHD has said JV4 will cause an issues, even on map 0. Remove it.
thanks for the reply!

im about to jump on a used srint booster and he wants to sell the quicker tuner as well as a bundle. i will now just get the sprint (V2)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #3704
TrueNutty1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Unbelievably fast first MHD write time

First post so no pressure right? Ok, so I just flashed my car couple of days ago with the MHD stage 1 map and everything went really well. Almost too well which is why I'm asking. First time flashing it said full write was 9-25 min. Pressed the button, saw it erasing sections, writing, etc. Well holy lightspeed Batman it took all of 2.9 min! I'm using the MHD wifi adapter but I'm wondering if anyone has seen a first time write this quick? Bought my car as CPO so just assumed it was never flashed but when I pulled the codes before I did the flash I noticed a shadow code for 1E5301 - Protection against tampering: Engine power output too high. The fast write speed along with the shadow code leaves me wondering if the car was tuned before and if it was shouldn't that have voided the CPO process? I'm just more curious than anything. Anyway, here are a couple of logs. Any feedback is welcome. Planning on doing the necessary supporting mods, plugs, coils, cp, walnut blast, etc. then some of the fun ones!

4th wot:
https://datazap.me/u/truenutty1/4th-wot?log=0&data=4-17
1-4 @ ~85% wot
https://datazap.me/u/truenutty1/1-4-...og=0&data=4-17
      02-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #3705
anjuna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The WiFi adapter flashes like 6-7x faster than the kdcan (my cable flash did take ~30 mins, with each flash after taking ~3 mins. When I switched to the WiFi adapter, flashes went from 3 mins to ~30s)

I do not think your vehicle was previously modified.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3706
SeanFitz335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I have only had the tune on the car 30 days, and it started the first day I installed the tune. I have not tried running on stage 0, but can. I have no performance mods yet, no intake, all stock. I am glad nobody else has this problem leading me to believe its not the tune, its the car. I have an extended warranty but with no thrown codes not sure what to complain about. I am at 50k miles and I'm sure the plugs are original.
Someone needs to Google "Occam's Razor"
      02-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #3707
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNutty1 View Post
First post so no pressure right? Ok, so I just flashed my car couple of days ago with the MHD stage 1 map and everything went really well. Almost too well which is why I'm asking. First time flashing it said full write was 9-25 min. Pressed the button, saw it erasing sections, writing, etc. Well holy lightspeed Batman it took all of 2.9 min! I'm using the MHD wifi adapter but I'm wondering if anyone has seen a first time write this quick? Bought my car as CPO so just assumed it was never flashed but when I pulled the codes before I did the flash I noticed a shadow code for 1E5301 - Protection against tampering: Engine power output too high. The fast write speed along with the shadow code leaves me wondering if the car was tuned before and if it was shouldn't that have voided the CPO process? I'm just more curious than anything. Anyway, here are a couple of logs. Any feedback is welcome. Planning on doing the necessary supporting mods, plugs, coils, cp, walnut blast, etc. then some of the fun ones!

4th wot:
1-4 @ ~85% wot
Your timing looks pretty bad, so maybe you need to swap out your spark plugs or the fuel quality in your area might be shitty.

Do you have access to higher octane gas?

Also, what is the year, make, model and mileage of your car?

Any mods or completely stock?

Last edited by Munchi435i; 02-08-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #3708
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

4th wot:
1-4 @ ~85% wot
As mentioned above, timing isnt great. Typical for using 91 octane gas in CA, NV, AZ, and pacific NW. Also, IATs start fairly high and rise quickly, as expected with stock IC. Recommend IC upgrade sooner rather than later, it really helps you get the most out of any tune (even though technically not "required" for stage 1).

Also, coils and walnut blast are really not needed as preventative maintainance on N55. Plenty of people go to 100k+ without walnut blasting (unlike N54). Coils are more of a replace as needed as well. Plugs should be done every 30k or so once tuned.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 02:11 AM   #3709
TrueNutty1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Your timing looks pretty bad, so maybe you need to swap out your spark plugs or the fuel quality in your area might be shitty.

Do you have access to higher octane gas?

Also, what is the year, make, model and mileage of your car?

Any mods or completely stock?
Bone stock 2013 335i 70k. Unfortunately, I'm in Los Angeles so no real option for higher octane. Would you recommend an oct booster? I'm gonna get new plugs this week so hopefully that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
As mentioned above, timing isnt great. Typical for using 91 octane gas in CA, NV, AZ, and pacific NW. Also, IATs start fairly high and rise quickly, as expected with stock IC. Recommend IC upgrade sooner rather than later, it really helps you get the most out of any tune (even though technically not "required" for stage 1).

Also, coils and walnut blast are really not needed as preventative maintainance on N55. Plenty of people go to 100k+ without walnut blasting (unlike N54). Coils are more of a replace as needed as well. Plugs should be done every 30k or so once tuned.
Yea I kinda figured that timing would be pretty bad. I was impatient and took those logs right after the flash so the O2 sensor was still reading INCOMPLETE. Today, however, I noticed less corrections across the board and even less so when wot. Hopefully they continue to improve after I install new plugs. Thanks for the suggestions! Now you got me rethinking mod order...
      02-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #3710
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Bone stock 2013 335i 70k. Unfortunately, I'm in Los Angeles so no real option for higher octane. Would you recommend an oct booster? I'm gonna get new plugs this week so hopefully that helps.

Yea I kinda figured that timing would be pretty bad. I was impatient and took those logs right after the flash so the O2 sensor was still reading INCOMPLETE. Today, however, I noticed less corrections across the board and even less so when wot. Hopefully they continue to improve after I install new plugs. Thanks for the suggestions! Now you got me rethinking mod order...
What i did was:

Log completely stock car --> Install IC+CP --> log --> flash stage 1 (with IC+CP) --> Log

After fixing all issues with the above, i waited a couple of months, then installed fabspeed catted DP --> logged --> flashed stage 2+ (IC+CP+DP now), and make sure the car was sorted. Ive been like that for about 2 months now, cars runs great. I even autocrossed it on Saturday with no issues. I am still on OEM plugs with 43k miles on them, but plan to change pretty soon at next service. Everything is OEM/original performance wise except for the IC+CP+DP (coils, etc).

EDIT: I am also in CA and on 91 octane gas with 91 tune. Timing is clean sometimes, not great other times. No real pattern. I have E85 near me and will probably be trying out the E20 tunes soon.
Appreciate 0