F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > boost leak tester
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
oma3710
Major
oma3710's Avatar
119
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: 435i vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Simpsonville, SC

iTrader: (1)

boost leak tester

I am wondering if the boost leak testers off ebay are any good. If so, what size do I need and where do I connect?

Thanks
__________________
__________________
Jordan E30 Tune~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
224
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
I am wondering if the boost leak testers off ebay are any good. If so, what size do I need and where do I connect?

Thanks
Link to what you are referring to on ebay?

You will need to connect it to your inlet pipe. Its just under 3'' if stock, not sure if you are using PS2 or other aftermarket. You remove the intake and connect it to the accordion piece with the hose clamp. You also need to plug the PCV hose and potentially the 8AT vacuum hose on the CP if not already plugged (for 6MT car)

I have quite a bit of documentation of how i made my own tester here, and what you need to do to perform the test:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...oost+leak+test
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
oma3710
Major
oma3710's Avatar
119
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: 435i vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Simpsonville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Link to what you are referring to on ebay?

You will need to connect it to your inlet pipe. Its just under 3'' if stock, not sure if you are using PS2 or other aftermarket. You remove the intake and connect it to the accordion piece with the hose clamp. You also need to plug the PCV hose and potentially the 8AT vacuum hose on the CP if not already plugged (for 6MT car)

I have quite a bit of documentation of how i made my own tester here, and what you need to do to perform the test:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...oost+leak+test

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-TURBO-BOO...53.m1438.l2649
__________________
__________________
Jordan E30 Tune~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
224
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
Doesnt look like that is going to work for a stock intake system. There is no 3'' circle that is rigid enough to clamp around. You need a internal device not an external one (see pics in thread above). That might work if you have a 3'' circular aftermarket intake that you can slide the coupler over. I don't think it would work at all on stock inlet even if you put something rigid inside because there is not a smooth 3'' surface to clamp over. Also, that one looks like it only uses a tire fitting to pressurize with; those are pretty annoying to work with. You need a standard air compressor quick connect so you can put your air hose directly onto the tester and a preset PSI and let it continuously fill with air while you search for leaks. The tire fill fitting only works if you have a 2nd person to continuously pressurize as needed.

TLDR - i would just build one.
Appreciate 1
oma3710119.00

      01-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
oma3710
Major
oma3710's Avatar
119
Rep
1,051
Posts

Drives: 435i vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Simpsonville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Doesnt look like that is going to work for a stock intake system. There is no 3'' circle that is rigid enough to clamp around. You need a internal device not an external one (see pics in thread above). That might work if you have a 3'' circular aftermarket intake that you can slide the coupler over. I don't think it would work at all on stock inlet even if you put something rigid inside because there is not a smooth 3'' surface to clamp over. Also, that one looks like it only uses a tire fitting to pressurize with; those are pretty annoying to work with. You need a standard air compressor quick connect so you can put your air hose directly onto the tester and a preset PSI and let it continuously fill with air while you search for leaks. The tire fill fitting only works if you have a 2nd person to continuously pressurize as needed.

TLDR - i would just build one.
I have a CTS intake.
__________________
__________________
Jordan E30 Tune~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Lieutenant
224
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
I have a CTS intake.
I think that is 3.5''? In any case if it is circular and there is a 3.5'' version of the tester you linked, that should work. My comment about the tire fill fitting being not ideal still stands.
Appreciate 1
oma3710119.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST