F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help with B58 VRSF Downpipe
proTUNING Freaks

12-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
acort37
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i, 1990 BMW M3

Question Help with B58 VRSF Downpipe

Hey everyone, new to the forums
My new (to me) 2017 340i touched down last week

I have already purchased the VRSF catless DP for the B58 and now am waiting to get it installed... but, I do not want a CEL.

My initial reaction to this would be to just flash it to remove the CEL, but, this car is still covered under factory warranty so I wonít be tuning anything for a while. Even if I can flash it back to stock for the dealer, I still donít want to take any chances

A friend of mine who has a catless DP on his B58 has no tune and hasnít experienced a CEL so far in 4,000 miles of having it

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thereís a bunch of different things Iíve read whether itís get a straight O2 bypass, a 90į O2 bypass, or Iíll be fine without one

Anyone is welcome to comment on this, any help would be nice.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
SC_B5X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acort37 View Post

I have already purchased the VRSF catless DP for the B58 and now am waiting to get it installed... but, I do not want a CEL.

My initial reaction to this would be to just flash it to remove the CEL, but, this car is still covered under factory warranty so I wonít be tuning anything for a while. Even if I can flash it back to stock for the dealer, I still donít want to take any chances

A friend of mine who has a catless DP on his B58 has no tune and hasnít experienced a CEL so far in 4,000 miles of having it

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thereís a bunch of different things Iíve read whether itís get a straight O2 bypass, a 90į O2 bypass, or Iíll be fine without one

Thank you.
You will definitely be getting a CEL if you install a catless DP without a flash tune. But as you mentioned, those bypass tricks have worked for many people (i've never personally tried).

As for warranty, dealers normally wont check if it's tuned or modded unless something directly effected by it breaks, such as throwing a rod, transmission dies, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
acort37
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
You will definitely be getting a CEL if you install a catless DP without a flash tune. But as you mentioned, those bypass tricks have worked for many people (i've never personally tried).

As for warranty, dealers normally wont check if it's tuned or modded unless something directly effected by it breaks, such as throwing a rod, transmission dies, etc.
Would you wait until my warranty is over with? (next July)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
SC_B5X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you wait until my warranty is over with? (next July)
I mean, that's a question you have to answer for yourself, whether your warranty is valuable enough for you to keep it, or roll the dice and throw a tune on.

Me personally, no. I voided my warranty at 36,000mls when I got the car by putting MHD Stage 2 and a Catless DP on. I've had my car since 36k and i'm now at 58k and so far I haven't had to repair a single thing. It seems like this platform is very reliable based on my personal experience as well as other people, so I wouldn't worry too much if you do decide to pull the trigger on a tune.

If you'd like I can send you my maintenance record, it has everything ever done to the car listed in detail (even when i've topped off the coolant tank) by date and miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
acort37
Rep

I donít need you to go that much out of your way, donít stress.

Iím just worried somethings going to happen and itís going to be extremely costly to fix because I tuned it.

Are you just running MHD and a DP?

How do you like MHD? That would be my choice over BM3 I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
SC_B5X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I donít need you to go that much out of your way, donít stress.

Iím just worried somethings going to happen and itís going to be extremely costly to fix because I tuned it.

Are you just running MHD and a DP?

How do you like MHD? That would be my choice over BM3 I think.
Can't think of anything that'll fail. No ones really had any major issues on this platform except a small handful of people.

My current setup is in my signature under my post, currently running Custom MHD E30/Meth Tune (by Wedge) with 4.5" VRSF Catless DP, AEM Meth Kit with 2x 755cc Nozzles, and Remus Axleback.

I currently have the Pure 800 Turbo on order as well as a Dorch Stage 1 HPFP upgrade.

And honestly it's no big deal, if you do want to take a look here it is.
BMW 340i Maintenance Record
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:52 AM   #7
IMS-340MP
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 MPPSK

Changing the OEM downpipe will void your warranty anyway.

Quote:

Thank you.
      12-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
SĶpreme
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Few thoughts--
First, I've got the same downpipe and you're gonna love it, the sound is amazing. Also, you'll definitely get a CEL once you do any highway driving, that's when mine pops on. Out of curiosity, why do you care? I just ignore mine.
As for the dealership angle, I know every dealership is different but my experience is that they're not looking for reasons to deny coverage on an issue unless it's directly related to the mods you've done. Even then, they might not. I just had my CV axle replaced under warranty and they never mentioned that I'm lowered on coilovers. They could've denied that warranty claim very easily.

That being said, if you're setting out on this path of modding your vehicle, you have to know that it's a possibility that you'll break something or reduce the functional life of some components or compromise your warranty. It is what it is.

You mentioned flashing the car to remove the CEL trigger, but no mention of additional power etc. Curious why you did the cat delete without a specific plan for a tune of some kind- most people remove the cat as a means to an end, usually in support of a specific tune+mods pathway.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #9
acort37
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SĶpreme View Post
Few thoughts--
First, I've got the same downpipe and you're gonna love it, the sound is amazing. Also, you'll definitely get a CEL once you do any highway driving, that's when mine pops on. Out of curiosity, why do you care? I just ignore mine.
As for the dealership angle, I know every dealership is different but my experience is that they're not looking for reasons to deny coverage on an issue unless it's directly related to the mods you've done. Even then, they might not. I just had my CV axle replaced under warranty and they never mentioned that I'm lowered on coilovers. They could've denied that warranty claim very easily.

That being said, if you're setting out on this path of modding your vehicle, you have to know that it's a possibility that you'll break something or reduce the functional life of some components or compromise your warranty. It is what it is.

You mentioned flashing the car to remove the CEL trigger, but no mention of additional power etc. Curious why you did the cat delete without a specific plan for a tune of some kind- most people remove the cat as a means to an end, usually in support of a specific tune+mods pathway.

Itís an aesthetic thing for me, I just donít like the CEL light you know what I mean?

And my car is completely stock as we speak. When I install the DP, Iíll have a high flow mid going along with it. Eventually I will tune it, but, for the time being I love the sound regardless.

I would never do anything to mess with the functionality extremely since this is an everyday car I plan to have for a while.

My dealership sounds about the same as yours, Iím covered as long as a part doesnít directly effect something but they told me tuning it would void all warranty, hence the reason I donít want to tune it quite yet just to be safe.

Would a O2 spacer do the trick?

As of this moment, the midpipe and DP is strictly for sound purposes. Iíve heard a friend of mines with the exact same set up and love it. No tune and his burples are sick.

Thanks for your reply
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
acort37
Rep

Iím not going for the ďfastest B58 in AmericaĒ goal in all honesty

I want to run a MHD Stage 2 and donít even want to use all 470 HP it allows.

I just donít need it to push the car that much, want a little more speed without it being a future death wish to the vehicle.

Im leaning towards getting a tune 70% to remove CEL and get a burple tune and 30% for performance
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
SĶpreme
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Itís an aesthetic thing for me, I just donít like the CEL light you know what I mean?

And my car is completely stock as we speak. When I install the DP, Iíll have a high flow mid going along with it. Eventually I will tune it, but, for the time being I love the sound regardless.

I would never do anything to mess with the functionality extremely since this is an everyday car I plan to have for a while.

My dealership sounds about the same as yours, Iím covered as long as a part doesnít directly effect something but they told me tuning it would void all warranty, hence the reason I donít want to tune it quite yet just to be safe.

Would a O2 spacer do the trick?

As of this moment, the midpipe and DP is strictly for sound purposes. Iíve heard a friend of mines with the exact same set up and love it. No tune and his burples are sick.

Thanks for your reply
I definitely understand the sound thing, it's a great sounding car.
I've heard that the angled O2 sensor will do the trick but I can't speak personally to it.
Another thought, my car is MPPSK from the factory and that does affect airflow because of the axle-back exhaust. If yours isn't, I can't say for sure if the catless DP will definitely throw the CEL code. If your buddy has the exact same setup as what you have and isn't getting the CEL, then I guess it's possible that you won't either.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #12
acort37
Rep

I gotcha. Thanks brother.

I think Iím going to do angled just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
IMS-340MP
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I also have MPPSK and have a catless downpipe on the way.

Is the sound/perfomance much different after downpipe? Also is the smell that bad? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SĶpreme View Post
Another thought, my car is MPPSK from the factory and that does affect airflow because of the axle-back exhaust.

Last edited by IMS-340MP; 12-12-2019 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:33 AM   #14
SC_B5X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340MP View Post

Is the sound/perfomance much different after downpipe? Also is the smell that bad? Thanks
Never noticed the smell in mine during driving or even standing around with it running. The only time I have ever smelt it is when i'd stand behind it while it was running for a long period of time, like switching to a temp tag when I go racing (in Mexico of course) or filling up my meth tank.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
Never noticed the smell in mine during driving or even standing around with it running. The only time I have ever smelt it is when i'd stand behind it while it was running for a long period of time, like switching to a temp tag when I go racing (in Mexico of course) or filling up my meth tank.
+1

There should be no smell in the cabin.

A tune like BM3 will clear the CEL.

Mike

N54Tuning.com Your #1 Source for Performance Parts!!
EMAIL; mike@n54tuning.com
Website; www.n54tuning.com
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:

you need a better tune take full advantage of the downpipe including sound and power.

With MPPK you probably will get an additional 15 whp or so
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #17
IMS-340MP
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thanks Mike, unfortunately I don't hve high octane where I live so MPPSK is the best I could have.

As for performance I am confused tbh, I've seen some before and after dyno videos gaining as much as 30 HP with the stock tune while others claim as low as 5 to 10 HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
you need a better tune take full advantage of the downpipe including sound and power.

With MPPK you probably will get an additional 15 whp or so
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mike, unfortunately I don't hve high octane where I live so MPPSK is the best I could have.

As for performance I am confused tbh, I've seen some before and after dyno videos gaining as much as 30 HP with the stock tune while others claim as low as 5 to 10 HP.
most of the ones i have seen show 5-10 whp but yes you are correct there a few out there showing 30 HP gains with stock tune
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #19
Briland33
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport

If your worried about your warranty getting a dp is more of a concern than a tune. They have no way of knowing you have a tune. In conclusion, get the dp and the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
RoIIouT
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport

I used a 90 degree defouler on mine and didn't have a CEL before I tuned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briland33 View Post
If your worried about your warranty getting a dp is more of a concern than a tune. They have no way of knowing you have a tune. In conclusion, get the dp and the tune.
I get what you are saying but its important to understand how warranty works.

The dealer can only deny a warranty work if they claim your aftermarket part caused the damage.

Downpipes do not add stress on stock components. They cannot be blamed for any damages caused.
Appreciate 0