F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Removed phone cradle
Studio RSR

09-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #23
jbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 428xi M-Sport

Thanks for sharing!

Anyone know the part # for the rubber cover that is standard in non-enhanced bluetooth/smartphone integration models?
      09-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #24
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Thanks! That looked easy. That second picture that shows the closeup of the connectors...where is that say, in reference to the third picture? I assume the cradle plugs in there? But in the third pic it looks like the cradle cables go directly to the head unit.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #25
Ochoa1801
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2103 Bmw 328i xdrive

Good idea

Anyone know the part number for the rubber cover that is standard in non-enhanced bluetooth/smartphone integration models

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
jbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 428xi M-Sport

Found it. Part Number for 4xx: 51169227902

For your car, go to a BMW parts site and navigate to BODY HARDWARE / CONSOLE / CENTER CONSOLE / Mat and you should find it. Mine's under $20 which is worth covering those holes up.

Here's the direct link http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/201...iagram=1951430
      09-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #27
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Thanks! That looked easy. That second picture that shows the closeup of the connectors...where is that say, in reference to the third picture? I assume the cradle plugs in there? But in the third pic it looks like the cradle cables go directly to the head unit.

SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #28
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Haven't had much time to try this yet. But I did manage to pull the cradle dock up in the "front" just by tugging on it. It definitely popped/unclicked on the end, but the rear end didn't come up. When I get some time, I'll pull off the rear seat vents and give this a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #29
BMW3291
Enlisted Member
Thailand
Rep
Drives: F30 Active Hybrid 3

I don't use it too. I removed it yesterday.
Thank for your sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #30
DrPhant0m
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 335xGT M, Estoril Blue

Anyone here know how to identify the connector on the dock that goes to the shark fin phone antenna? And whether or not it supports CDMA and/or GSM?

My interest is in adapting the connector under the dock to a passive external antenna, for increased cellular reception for ANY phone, not just the handful of defunct phones that are currently supported.

I've got a Note 4 on Verizon (CDMA), and a 2014 F34. There are a few dead spots on my commute, and I'd like to try to resuscitate them using the shark fin antenna. I've also considered switching to T-Mobile, which is GSM, but they don't have as much coverage in my area... making a boosted cellular signal even more crucial.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #31
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Okay, I did it - I removed the phone cradle and got more space for less than $20 in less than 45 min.

I have written everything below with pics to help out.

Problematic:
Phone snap-in cradle costs $200, so basically the same price that I pay for a new phone every 2 years. So I won't buy a new phone snap-in every 2 years for $200.
Besides, I don't really need this; I already have bluetooth connection for my phone and I don't believe in the antenna thing with the snap in.
And finally, more space in the center armrest will be more than welcome.

Replacement time:
45 min in my case with no instructions. Maybe less for you with this.

Tools:
Trim tools + 1 flat screw.

Complexity:
3/5. The phone cradle is a bit hard to remove. Then some cables might be complex to pull out - but nothing not manageable.

Price:
less than $20 for the replacement part "Mat insert, storage compartment, middle" part number #51169227902. Ordered at my BMW dealership.
Part #06

Steps summary:
Here is a summary of steps. So that you know what needs to be done first.
1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]
2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers] [Part #04]
3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]
4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
7. Put the new mat in place

Detailed steps:

Tools:

1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]

The goal here is to pull out the phone cradle. There are 3 rows of 2 clips to lift. Total of 6 (see pic 4).
Start with a thin tool at the top of the cradle. With this tool you should be able to lift the first and maybe also second rows of clips.

Then you should be able to pull everything out. The latest clips should go out.
Do not hesistate to pull. At first, it seems that it won't come out and eventually break the part, but it doesn't. You should ear and feel each row of clips popping out.

You should end up with this:

2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers]
The goal at this step is to pull the rear ear grill out to unplug cable connectors located behind.
Here I consider and I was able to do everything just by removing the grill. I didn't have to remove all the center console as I have seen on some pictures. Besides, I find it very hard to open the center console.

So, this is very easy, just insert your thin tool at the top of the grill and lever. The grill will go out very easily.

3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]

Use a flat screw to push at the right spot on the connector to unlock it.
You will have to unlock:
  • 1 blue connector
  • 1 black connector
  • 1 square connector for two cables
For the first 2, you need to push with the flat screw at the right spot to unlock the connector.
For the last one, you need to lift the bar, which will unlock the big black square connector.

First connector: blue one

Second connector: black one just under the blue one.

Last connector. Lift the connector bar to unlock it.

You should end up with this.

4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
The goal of this step is to push the cable behind the air duck and close to the exit near the phone cradle cable hole.
The first 2 cable connectors passes easily next to the air duck, but the big square connector won't.
In order to make it, you need to pull the air duck out a bit, push the square connector and put the air duck back in place.

5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
Now you think this is done. Cable connectors are right under the cable hole and snap in cradle popped out.
You just need one last thing: unlock the main and biggest cable fuse and other cables from their holders.

Take the flat screw, place it in each cable holes and push down the following:
  • 1 main cable fuse [RED]
  • 3 cable holders [ORANGE]
A picture is missing here, but you should end up with what you see on picture.

6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
You are now done. Everything will come out if you pull like on the picture above.

7. Put the new mat in place
Order from my dealership for less than $20.

Attached Images

Last edited by SchweiZ4; 10-13-2015 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 19
      10-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #32
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I salute you! This is what I will be doing this weekend, thanks to your detailed instructions.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #33
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So what I plan on doing is removing the cradle and not only putting in the new "bottom" but also adding another USB outlet. This can be done by buying the harness which plugs into the Blue connector that sits unused (after removing the cradle). I just want to make sure I'm buying the right one so I need to see if it's the male or female end that's left behind.

In the attached picture...are these the ends that are left behind, or are they the ends that come out with the cradle?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #34
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep

This is the part of the cable that comes with the cradle.
You can see on other pictures the other side of the blue connector.
At the end, for the blue cable the female connector stays and the male connector is taken out (with the cradle).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #35
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Thats a really cool and detailed tut for removal of the unwanted cradle, thank you very much

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #36
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiZ4 View Post
This is the part of the cable that comes with the cradle.
You can see on other pictures the other side of the blue connector.
At the end, for the blue cable the female connector stays and the male connector is taken out (with the cradle).
Hmm...all the USB harnesses come with a female connector. I think the intention is to plug that into the back of the head unit directly, as opposed to the extension cable that the cradle plugged into. I suspect there's little slack left in the extension cable, but would think this..
https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2194690/

...could plug into the leftover cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep

For me the USB harness of your link is a male connector, that seems to fit the blue female left over connector.
However I cannot tell you if this can be alimented by the blue cable.
I haven't checked what the cable are for.. I wanted to do it, but I haven't had the time.

If you are sure this is the blue cable, I don't see any blocker with the USB harness of your link - maybe just an extension cable needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #38
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I believe the blue cable is the USB/HSD connection to the headunit. I think the black one is for the antenna connection. The rectangular black one is analog audio. Would you happen to have a pic of the end of the black cable? I'm curious if it has the 4 pins like the blue one. The fact that it has the braided shield makes me think antenna.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #39
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep

You are right on cables.
  • I can confirm the Black one is the antenna.
  • Blue cable is a HSD (High Speed Data) cable. This is the one with the fuse. It is written "A-->B Dacar(R)[...]".
    PFA cable manufacturer PDF - look for "blue" cable.
    It can used for USB as well as Ethernet, Gigabit Video (GVIF), and Low Voltage Differential Signaling (LVDS).
    In this case, it is used for USB --> HSD purpose.
  • Finally the rectangular one, is composed with 2 cables: one as big as the blue one with mention "USB" on it, the other one, thicker, has nothing written on it. Seems to be Audio cable.

Zoomed picture on cradle cable connectors:

Zoomed picture on cradle blue cable connector remaining:

So for your additionnal USB socket, I would buy:
  • USB socket retrofit
    Something like this: RealOEM USB Socket part 04 #84109229294

Either online on Ebay or BMW Dealer with part number above.

• HSD cable USB type C extension with 1 male and 1 female connectors:
    Female connector for the USB socket and male connector to plug into the blue female HSD connector that is left behind when you remove phone cradle.
    Something like this: HSD USB male female

Be careful, to the following:
  • In all the USB packages retrofit that I have seen online (cable + USB socket), the cable is a female-female, which will not plugged into the female blue left behind cable.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-CIC-NB...-/251528135116
  • You need a blue cable, but considering the pattern of the cable, a water-blue will fit too, because water-blue can replace all others (HSD Black, Natural, Blue, Claret Violet and Green)
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ENG_CS_1308074_High_Speed_Data_Communication_0911.pdf (3.33 MB, 2209 views)
Appreciate 4
      10-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #40
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

great write up looking forward to giving it a shot this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #41
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info on the Fakra connectors! Yes, I purchased the USB socket which you showed. The HSD cable M-F is exactly what I need, but can't find them anywhere in the US. The site you linked will ship to US I believe, but the final cost is crazy...about $75 US!!!

I've been searching online for different vendors and can't seem to find others. Plenty of the RF/coax versions all over the place and for cheap. I can get a male-male cables (or is it female-female...I always get that mixed up when there are male pins, but the connector housing is female) really cheap. That would require me to rip apart the dash to get to the head unit and run a new cable which, when I think about it, is worth paying $75 to avoid.

Ooh I just thought of something. I could cut the connector off the snap-in base and splice the wires on the end of the M-M cable. That would work...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #42
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok got it out! The removal was easy with these instructions. I managed to feed the leftover hsd cable back up into the bottom of the armrest...barely. There was a strain relief around the wiring harnesses back in the vent area. I never managed to get the HSD cable through that strain relief channel, but there was enough slack to get the connector back into the armrest. I suppose I could have gotten it out cleaner, but I'd have to have pulled out the whole center console. I was getting nervous about that. I'm thinking this leftover cable will plug directly into the USB socket.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #43
cshawkeye
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Just removed it myself. Took 20 minutes, it was a little finicky with getting the cables loose but the guide and pictures posted here helped out big time!

Now the question is what do i do with this phone holder?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #44
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You need a pair. Wanna buy mine?? ?

Did you order the plastic tray?
Appreciate 0