F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone getting the new iPhone 11 or Pro?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #1
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Anyone getting the new iPhone 11 or Pro?

I'm pretty impressed with the new camera in the iPhone 11 Pro.

Ideally, I'd like to hang on for 5G/USB-C/return of touch ID, all of which are rumoured for the 2020 phones, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

My iPhone 7 has served me well for 3 years and is as good now as day 1, but time to bite the bullet. Fairly sure that I am going to go for a Pro Max as I always appreciated the extra screen size of my old work Note 8. Standard Pro also tempting for handier size though.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMB View Post

Ideally, I'd like to hang on for 5G/USB-C/return of touch ID, all of which are rumoured for the 2020 phones, but I think it's time for an upgrade.

My iPhone 7 has served me well for 3 years and is as good now as day 1, but time to bite the bullet. Fairly sure that I am going to go for a Pro Max as I always appreciated the extra screen size of my old work Note 8. Standard Pro also tempting for handier size though.
Yes getting the 11. Same situation, my 7 is slowly dying on me and the battery has gone. Not overall impressed with the new releases but need a new one so not got much choice.

Can't justify the cost of the Pro, a MacBook is cheaper... also want the red so there's no good colours in the pro for me.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

A MacBook is cheaper.... will it fit in your pocket and take decent photos? Not exactly a good comparison. I can buy a secondhand Fiesta for less, that's better value then
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:35 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Quote:

Yes getting the 11. Same situation, my 7 is slowly dying on me and the battery has gone. Not overall impressed with the new releases but need a new one so not got much choice.

Can't justify the cost of the Pro, a MacBook is cheaper... also want the red so there's no good colours in the pro for me.
I know what you mean about cost, but the extra camera capability sways me to the pro. Man maths informs me that this will stop me spending £1k+ on upgrading my DSLR which has not been used more than two or three times in the last 3 years anyway!

Memory is a bigger bugbear in cost for me. I've maxed out the 256gb on my 7 and therefore tempted with the 512. But the cost for memory is, as ever, insane!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:43 AM   #5
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know what you mean about cost, but the extra camera capability sways me to the pro. Man maths informs me that this will stop me spending £1k+ on upgrading my DSLR which has not been used more than two or three times in the last 3 years anyway!

Memory is a bigger bugbear in cost for me. I've maxed out the 256gb on my 7 and therefore tempted with the 512. But the cost for memory is, as ever, insane!
If cameras are your thing then I can see the attraction. But it seems it's the only thing that Apple have really focused on in this new model. There's no 5G, no new connector, battery life not much better.

Also annoys me how they've not upped the baseline storage. 128GB should be standard in a phone that you can't expand the memory, 64GB is what we were on 3 years ago. I upgraded to 128GB last time and I'll have to do them same again.

Do you buy yours outright or do the upgrade program/contract?
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I have last years XS Max and this year they offer absolutely nothing to make me change, the camera on mine is hardly crap! It’s one of the smallest updates new features in a long time.

Same with the watch, no reason why you’d have one if you had a 3 or 4 imho, however I have a 2 and will find an always on display useful so I took the plunge...
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 02:07 AM   #7
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

I’m on an iPhone upgrade programme and it’s due for a change... not sure whether to simply continue paying it and keep the XS Max or upgrade. Monthly cost is the same. What bothers me is the cameras and how the raised glass is glossy compared to the matte glass for the rest of the back of the phone.. Kind of looks like a stove stuck on the phone haha!

Better battery life and cameras are cool though, 5 extra hours is nice to have even though I barely run the XS max to 0 daily as it is....

Decisions decisions...
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #8
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I have an XS... and do wish it would take better night time pics... but visually i prefer my smaller camera bump!

I am looking forward to the official IOS13 and watch os though.

The apple watch is a better proposition.. i have last years apple watch 4 - but would love a Titanium finish one (with the bonus of an always on screen) dont really care for the compass - and never even knew mine didnt have one!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #9
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I am disappointed that they haven't managed to get Touch ID working with the full screen. I have an iPhone 8 currently, and hoped to skip over the Face ID thing entirely.

That said, I tend to replace every 2 years as my other half takes the phone at that point (she's not bothered about the latest tech) and my primary school aged son takes the one she's just finished with (a 6S). Apple seem to support their phones for 6 years from first release, so this way we can all be on the current iOS.

I will probably hang on for 1-2 months when people will start flogging brand new and sealed ones on eBay for a few hundred less. Apple still give a 2 year warranty from first use, so as long as it's sealed, there is no material difference with buying new from a shop.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
According to Apple's blurb, new iPhone 11 'features' are:
  • New (stronger) glass.
  • Spatial audio for better sound.
  • Dual lens or triple lens cameras.
  • Slo-mo selfies.
  • A13 Bionic chip.
  • Wi-Fi 6 support
  • New colours.
  • Super retina XDR displays.
  • 4 to 5hrs better battery life compared to iPhone XS/XR with faster charging.

Still an iPhone 6 user and most of the above just passes me by except the camera(s). For holidays etc., I take a little Lumix DMC-TZ40 for photos, but I saw examples of photos and videos from these new phones and they are impressive. If I spent the £700 or so on a new camera then I assume I'd get better quality than from a new phone, but it's always this thing of the best camera being the one you have on you.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 03:45 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If cameras are your thing then I can see the attraction. But it seems it's the only thing that Apple have really focused on in this new model. There's no 5G, no new connector, battery life not much better.

Also annoys me how they've not upped the baseline storage. 128GB should be standard in a phone that you can't expand the memory, 64GB is what we were on 3 years ago. I upgraded to 128GB last time and I'll have to do them same again.

Do you buy yours outright or do the upgrade program/contract?
Totally agree with all of that. It's not a big upgrade from last year and misses a lot of should-haves. But, it's a big upgrade from a 2016 model.

I think 3 years is the sweet spot for iPhone upgrades and getting a good improvement. But I fear I am at the wrong end of their mini-cycles. Should have bought in 2017 and 2020 not 2016 and 2019!

Yes, I buy outright and sim-only. Currently have 60gb and unlimited calls/texts for £17.50 on Vodafone.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #12
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I am disappointed that they haven't managed to get Touch ID working with the full screen. I have an iPhone 8 currently, and hoped to skip over the Face ID thing entirely.

That said, I tend to replace every 2 years as my other half takes the phone at that point (she's not bothered about the latest tech) and my primary school aged son takes the one she's just finished with (a 6S). Apple seem to support their phones for 6 years from first release, so this way we can all be on the current iOS.

I will probably hang on for 1-2 months when people will start flogging brand new and sealed ones on eBay for a few hundred less. Apple still give a 2 year warranty from first use, so as long as it's sealed, there is no material difference with buying new from a shop.
I thought the warranty is only 1 year? With the liked of John Lewis giving the extra yr warranty free over apple.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:25 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I'm thinking about the MAX. Current phone is an 8 and would rather the bigger screen, miss the amazing photos of my dual camera 7Plus too.
      09-12-2019, 04:49 AM   #14
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Sticking with my iPhone 7 a while longer until 5G is widespread and on the latest iPhone. Not keen on the rip off Brexit influenced Apple pound vs dollar pricing currently either.
Appreciate 2
      09-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I moved to Samsung two years ago as iPhone prices were getting silly. Cant see anything in the new ones that would attract me to spend more money to go back...

Now if work want to give me one that's OK but even then I will probably save money and choose the samsung option there...
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 05:28 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I'm thinking about the MAX. Current phone is an 8 and would rather the bigger screen, miss the amazing photos of my dual camera 7Plus too.
I had the dual cameras on the work Note and miss that feature too now that I only have the IP7. The Max is big, but I have a nagging feeling that I would often wish I had it if I went for the smaller one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Sticking with my iPhone 7 a while longer until 5G is widespread and on the latest iPhone. Not keen on the rip off Brexit influenced Apple pound vs dollar pricing currently either.
Pricing is a pain. I've bought a lot of Apple stuff in NYC the last few years and that would be really helpful now, but not going to be there...damn!

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #17
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I moved to Samsung two years ago as iPhone prices were getting silly. Cant see anything in the new ones that would attract me to spend more money to go back...

Now if work want to give me one that's OK but even then I will probably save money and choose the samsung option there...
If only Apple did deals like the M5 one

Recent Samsungs are a big improvement. I had many from S2 to S7 (iirc) over the years and hated them all as they became crashier after a bit of use, but the Note 8 was a big improvement and I always liked it. Not as much as my IP7, but enough.

I just enjoy iOS a bit more and happy (lazy?!) being locked in the ecosystem

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #18
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
I thought the warranty is only 1 year? With the liked of John Lewis giving the extra yr warranty free over apple.
In theory the warranty is one year, but Apple openly recognise their obligations which arise from being within the EU:

Quote:
EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees. https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...s/index_en.htm
So in practice they just treat it as having a 2 year warranty in my experience. How that changes when/if we are no longer part of the EU is an open question, but I doubt that the UK will unilaterally reduce this.

Incidentally, I once had a laptop from John Lewis fail after 18 months. It only had a 1 year warranty and their initial response was tough luck. I pointed out to them that they had a legal obligation to repair it, with the relevant links, and they accepted it. As it happens, they were potentially committing a criminal offence by denying this right under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (since replaced by the Consumer Rights Act I believe).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Kepping our X and 7 here for now.

Willl review that position next year, hopefully when they have a 5G phone.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

I will wait for 5G, i don't really see a point in buying a phone without it now..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
I will wait for 5G, i don't really see a point in buying a phone without it now..
I'm sure the time will come when 5G is necessary to run certain apps, but to me at least 4G seems comfortably fast enough for anything i would want to do today.

5G will also require huge/unlimited data contracts which will be expensive for another year or two. A friend in France pays €1 per month for his 100GB plan on a special offer, so data prices have some way to fall in the UK. €7 per month for 100GB is more normal there. I'll get 5G with my iPhone 13!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
In theory the warranty is one year, but Apple openly recognise their obligations which arise from being within the EU:

So in practice they just treat it as having a 2 year warranty in my experience. How that changes when/if we are no longer part of the EU is an open question, but I doubt that the UK will unilaterally reduce this.

Incidentally, I once had a laptop from John Lewis fail after 18 months. It only had a 1 year warranty and their initial response was tough luck. I pointed out to them that they had a legal obligation to repair it, with the relevant links, and they accepted it. As it happens, they were potentially committing a criminal offence by denying this right under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (since replaced by the Consumer Rights Act I believe).
Wow i really didnt know this!

I got the battery replaced a couple of years ago on my old IP7 under their replacement scheme - when it was under 2 years old - could have used that to get a new battery FOC
Appreciate 0