F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK+Catless downpipe
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Miaf30
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

MPPSK+Catless downpipe

Hello all,

Today I decided to install my VRSF Catless downpipe on my 2017 340i with MPPSK and let me tell you, it sounds brutal. But, it is too loud for me (videos dont do it justice) and it is also running a little rough, on idle it stutters and im assuming it is because it is not tuned or maybe due to the 02 sensor spacer I put on it. Anyways, once my mechanic is free im going to put the oem one back one.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
733
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

The rough running is probably something related to the O2 sensors. There are others running MPPSK with catless, without such issues.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 1
Miaf303.00

      09-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
Ifellapart
Private First Class
39
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaf30 View Post

Anyways, once my mechanic is free im going to put the oem one back one.
Is it really that bad? Is it a change in tone or just too loud?
__________________
2016 340i / M-Sport / Track Handling Package / MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #4
ca2mt
New Member
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Could have a muffler shop weld a resonator onto the mid pipe, should take some of the raspiness out, making it less aggressive. Might turn down the volume a bit, as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
733
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

What is the point - you reduce resistance by removing the cat and increase it again by a resonator!?? You resolve a problem and fix the side-effect by recreating the problem again in a different way?

Just install a sport-cat (200-300 cell). Best compromise AND environmentally friendly.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
452
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
What is the point - you reduce resistance by removing the cat and increase it again by a resonator!?? You resolve a problem and fix the side-effect by recreating the problem again in a different way?

Just install a sport-cat (200-300 cell). Best compromise AND environmentally friendly.
a 200 cell sport cat will add an restriction, a resonator, a good designed one, will actually increase flow.....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
733
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Please think about what you are saying...!
A resonator (think about the word!) is a device, which, through resonance (!) lowers the speed and noise emission of gases, even if it has minimum disturbance effect!
It, by design, increases resistance. Whether more or less than a catalyst converter - can be argued.

My point - focus on how not to create the unwanted side-effect, rather than on how to fix it (by creating other side-effects).
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 1
Miaf303.00

      09-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
SR287
Enlisted Member
SR287's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Weston Florida

iTrader: (0)

My 16' 340i got the MPPSK installed three weeks ago and thinking to install a Catless or high flow catted downpipe, based on ur experience I will go with the high flow catted downpipe and void all the trouble, I'm going with the bm3 (apparently they have a tune specifically for the MPPSK, still have the MHD license stg 1 but no MPPSK tune for). SOS any suggestions please!!!! thanks
__________________
ALWAYS A COURTESY REV
Appreciate 1
Miaf303.00

      09-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
733
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

You get best value for money with the HJS downpipe. If you get a good offer on any of the superior ones - go with it.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 1
SR2873.00

      09-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
Miaf30
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifellapart View Post
Is it really that bad? Is it a change in tone or just too loud?
It changes the tone completely, it is a lot raspier and whenever the valves open, even in comfort, it gets insanely loud
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
Miaf30
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR287 View Post
My 16' 340i got the MPPSK installed three weeks ago and thinking to install a Catless or high flow catted downpipe, based on ur experience I will go with the high flow catted downpipe and void all the trouble, I'm going with the bm3 (apparently they have a tune specifically for the MPPSK, still have the MHD license stg 1 but no MPPSK tune for). SOS any suggestions please!!!! thanks
After my experience, id go high flow catted. The smell is also very annoying
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh733.00
SR2873.00

      09-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
452
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Please think about what you are saying...!
A resonator (think about the word!) is a device, which, through resonance (!) lowers the speed and noise emission of gases, even if it has minimum disturbance effect!
It, by design, increases resistance. Whether more or less than a catalyst converter - can be argued.

My point - focus on how not to create the unwanted side-effect, rather than on how to fix it (by creating other side-effects).
Nope im sorry, resonators/silencers which are designed correctly will not slow exhaust gas's they can actually help smooth out the sound waves and there for let them move quicker. Keep it simple, look through a cat and youll see daylight , look through a resonator/silencersand youll see right through it. There is a really intresting video from magnaflow im sure explaing this and the science behind it.
Appreciate 1
kern4173187.50

      09-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
John.K
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: '16 F30 B58 8AT GS/Blk, MPPSK
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

MPPSK install labour

SR287 off-topic a bit but i'm shopping across dealers in my area (Baltimore, DC) to secure best price point for installing MPPSK on mine. The best I've gotten so far is 3.5 hrs labour ($550) plus i get to buy and ship the parts online (they are not price matching online retailers). Mind sharing how much it ran you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR287 View Post
My 16' 340i got the MPPSK installed three weeks ago and thinking to install a Catless or high flow catted downpipe, based on ur experience I will go with the high flow catted downpipe and void all the trouble, I'm going with the bm3 (apparently they have a tune specifically for the MPPSK, still have the MHD license stg 1 but no MPPSK tune for). SOS any suggestions please!!!! thanks
__________________
Past:
'15 F80 DCT MW/Blk
'11 E92 335is DCT AW/Brwn
'09 E92 335i 8AT Blk/Blk M Pckg
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:33 AM   #14
SR287
Enlisted Member
SR287's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
42
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Weston Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.K View Post
SR287 off-topic a bit but i'm shopping across dealers in my area (Baltimore, DC) to secure best price point for installing MPPSK on mine. The best I've gotten so far is 3.5 hrs labour ($550) plus i get to buy and ship the parts online (they are not price matching online retailers). Mind sharing how much it ran you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR287 View Post
My 16' 340i got the MPPSK installed three weeks ago and thinking to install a Catless or high flow catted downpipe, based on ur experience I will go with the high flow catted downpipe and void all the trouble, I'm going with the bm3 (apparently they have a tune specifically for the MPPSK, still have the MHD license stg 1 but no MPPSK tune for). SOS any suggestions please!!!! thanks
Absolutely no problem brother first at all it's weird BMW official dealer don't price matching with getBMWparts.com, I paid for the whole MPPSK including carbon fiber tips $2615 plus $550 labor but at the end they gave me and additional 15% for the whole process delay (almost four days but I had a loaner, so I was ok but they offered soooo... lol
__________________
ALWAYS A COURTESY REV
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
Ifellapart
Private First Class
39
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR287 View Post
Absolutely no problem brother first at all it's weird BMW official dealer don't price matching with getBMWparts.com, I paid for the whole MPPSK including carbon fiber tips $2615 plus $550 labor but at the end they gave me and additional 15% for the whole process delay (almost four days but I had a loaner, so I was ok but they offered soooo... lol
Wow you got a great deal seeing as the MPPSK with carbon tips is going for 3200 (not including tax) at getbmwparts right now.
__________________
2016 340i / M-Sport / Track Handling Package / MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:30 AM   #16
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
2449
Rep
3,305
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR287 View Post
My 16' 340i got the MPPSK installed three weeks ago and thinking to install a Catless or high flow catted downpipe, based on ur experience I will go with the high flow catted downpipe and void all the trouble, I'm going with the bm3 (apparently they have a tune specifically for the MPPSK, still have the MHD license stg 1 but no MPPSK tune for). SOS any suggestions please!!!! thanks
They offer the mppsk tune without having to buy the MPPSK from bmw. It adds a few lbs of boost

If u go high flow cat just go custom tuner bm3 map.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #17
nkhaira
New Member
United_States
5
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NJ, PA, NYC

iTrader: (0)

I have a '17 440 with MPPSK..I was also looking at VRSF Catless Downpipe (As amazing as MPPSK is, I am looking for even more aggressive sound) so it seems like catless is the way to go for me, but I keep hearing how catted is a good idea too? Seems like comfort mode normal driving should keep the catless dp with MPPSK pretty tame? and then crazy in sport..

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #18
nkhaira
New Member
United_States
5
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NJ, PA, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaf30 View Post
Hello all,

Today I decided to install my VRSF Catless downpipe on my 2017 340i with MPPSK and let me tell you, it sounds brutal. But, it is too loud for me (videos dont do it justice) and it is also running a little rough, on idle it stutters and im assuming it is because it is not tuned or maybe due to the 02 sensor spacer I put on it. Anyways, once my mechanic is free im going to put the oem one back one.
I understand videos won't do much justice, but by chance would you have any? I'm really interested in going catless vrsf with my current mppsk setup
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #19
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
452
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhaira View Post
I understand videos won't do much justice, but by chance would you have any? I'm really interested in going catless vrsf with my current mppsk setup
Type Jack Strathdee into youtube and youll find some of mine on my channel
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #20
nkhaira
New Member
United_States
5
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: BMW 440i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NJ, PA, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Type Jack Strathdee into youtube and youll find some of mine on my channel
Got you man, I saw the latest video but does it have the catless dp also? I didnít see any indication

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #21
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
452
Rep
1,092
Posts

Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhaira View Post
Got you man, I saw the latest video but does it have the catless dp also? I didnít see any indication

Thanks
Yeh mine is Catless DP
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
12866
Rep
138,853
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

I recommend switching to a catted downpipe
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST