F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > xHP on 320ix worth it?
ARMA SPEED

10-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

(Asking for my wife's car)
For those of you who installed xHP on your 320ix, can you please share your experience?
I installed the bm3 stage 1 and think it's very worth the money. I just wonder if xHP is too.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Just for your wife car.... Just do the bm3 transmission flash
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Do they do transmission tune?
I got the bm3 dme stage 1 for her car.
Now I wonder about xhp.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

You did the bm3 already then go down to transmission tab (left side) see if it available, try that first
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #5
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Bm3 doesn’t have a flash for b48. Highly recommend xhp for any user
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Also regarding for your wife, if she leaves it in comfort, I doubt she will even notice a change.

Eco Pro based on my MPG indicator has gone up since I flashed stage 3, as it is easier to get into 8th gear.

S gear is obviously very aggressive, you will feel the downshifts, upshifts are faster and it redlines higher.

It is a night and day difference but it adapts to what mode you are in.

In my opinion, Bm3 and xHP should come standard from the factory...
Appreciate 1
haagm58810.50
      10-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Also regarding for your wife, if she leaves it in comfort, I doubt she will even notice a change.

Eco Pro based on my MPG indicator has gone up since I flashed stage 3, as it is easier to get into 8th gear.

S gear is obviously very aggressive, you will feel the downshifts, upshifts are faster and it redlines higher.

It is a night and day difference but it adapts to what mode you are in.

In my opinion, Bm3 and xHP should come standard from the factory...
Thank you for the info.
Everything is remote. We are not nearly putting as many miles as before. She drives my 240i these days so that's also why I'm hesitant.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #8
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
Thank you for the info.
Everything is remote. We are not nearly putting as many miles as before. She drives my 240i these days so that's also why I'm hesitant.
its not necessary really for a daily casual driver if just for your wife. If you do hard pulls and drive aggressive, i highly recommend xHP.

The modern BMW gearboxes benefit just as much as the ECU does from adding bm3 imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #9
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the info.
its not necessary really for a daily casual driver if just for your wife. If you do hard pulls and drive aggressive, i highly recommend xHP.

The modern BMW gearboxes benefit just as much as the ECU does from adding bm3 imo.
Is that a gt4 there? Pdk or manual? I was eyeing the pdk version when it came out.
I might get the red or yellow one until I saw g80 m3 with perf parts in red. Looks so good.
Porsche makes good cars but their mid engine offerings always makes me feel somethings missing. That strong torque that turbo cars have.
I know they over engineer their rear engine 911 because the engine is in the wrong place but from physics point of view it just doesn't appeal to me enough to spend 120k.

C8 could have been a great product but they had to do something stupid with the interior. Gm executives are determined to shoot themselves in the foot.

No car manufacturer can do it exactly the way you want it. Have to make compromises.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
For those of you who installed xHP on your 320ix, can you please share your experience?
I installed the bm3 stage 1 and think it's very worth the money. I just wonder if xHP is too.

Thank you!
How is your experience with the tune? Does the car feel noticeably faster? I also own a 320i and really wish it had a lot more power. Debating whether the $600 is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that a gt4 there? Pdk or manual? I was eyeing the pdk version when it came out.
I might get the red or yellow one until I saw g80 m3 with perf parts in red. Looks so good.
Porsche makes good cars but their mid engine offerings always makes me feel somethings missing. That strong torque that turbo cars have.
I know they over engineer their rear engine 911 because the engine is in the wrong place but from physics point of view it just doesn't appeal to me enough to spend 120k.

C8 could have been a great product but they had to do something stupid with the interior. Gm executives are determined to shoot themselves in the foot.

No car manufacturer can do it exactly the way you want it. Have to make compromises.

I have a GT4 PDK on order but there have been massive delays due to mfg, the car was originally slated for Q1 2021 delivery.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the performance part styling but if they functionally lose weight or improve aero i'm all in....but imho no matter how much you spend on a BMW, i would rather spend the same or stretch a bit more for a Porsche GT car. I feel like if you really want a Porsche, naturally aspirated is the way to go but i agree with you in that the torque output of a GT4 is less than a tuned 2.0L turbo, but acceleration wise the 718 still wins due to being close to 500lbs less (not talking tuned as a B58/S58 will be faster in a straight line for sure than current manual GT4, similar to a GT4 PDK and slower than the GT4 RS PDK. The GT4 is rated for like 320 ft lbs and my tuned BMW 4 banger does ~350 wtq but torque isn't everything. Compared to a manual GT4, Porsche definitely doesn't have nearly the same torque punch as a B58, but the weight, handling, no lag response and 8000rpm redline make for a much more linear feeling car that around a track, is faster. I drove a 2018 GTS turbo 4 porsche and that was still faster than a BMW 4 banger. The NA six pulls much more linearly and makes peak torque closer to 6000RPM but if you want true low-end torque monster, electric / hybrid motor is the way to go. Take a look at the upcoming C8 ZR1 or Zora if you want a true torque monster.

I think the C8 interior is great in my eyes and they overdelivered on comfort / quality interior. The real problem imo is the massive oversteer, weight and build quality is nowhere near a Porsche but at 60k dollar for dollar the C8 is a better buy. I agree with you 125k for a middle of the road optioned GT4 is insane, but my main hope for the C8 is that Porsche pricing gets more in control...a GTS 4.0 with options should cost 85k out the door or the same as the G8x.

I think the GT4 RS will be as close to perfection as possible as I don't think a turbo 718 GT car makes sense engineering wise due to heat management, space and the chassis is being better suited to a NA engine. Putting a turbo on a Cayman would cannibalize 75% of the 911 lineup but the electric / hybrid cayman coming soon will definitely have big gains to torque.

Last edited by Avaley; 10-07-2020 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
How is your experience with the tune? Does the car feel noticeably faster? I also own a 320i and really wish it had a lot more power. Debating whether the $600 is worth it.
the tune is night and day, especially for a 320i. Your car gains close to 40% more horsepower and torque as 20is are SUPER undertuned.

Bootmod3 should come standard from the factory on BMW in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
haagm58810.50
      10-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a GT4 PDK on order but there have been massive delays due to mfg, the car was originally slated for Q1 2021 delivery.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the performance part styling but if they functionally lose weight or improve aero i'm all in....but imho no matter how much you spend on a BMW, i would rather spend the same or stretch a bit more for a Porsche GT car. I feel like if you really want a Porsche, naturally aspirated is the way to go but i agree with you in that the torque output of a GT4 is less than a tuned 2.0L turbo, but acceleration wise the 718 still wins due to being close to 500lbs less (not talking tuned as a B58/S58 will be faster in a straight line for sure than current manual GT4, similar to a GT4 PDK and slower than the GT4 RS PDK. The GT4 is rated for like 320 ft lbs and my tuned BMW 4 banger does ~350 wtq but torque isn't everything. Compared to a manual GT4, Porsche definitely doesn't have nearly the same torque punch as a B58, but the weight, handling, no lag response and 8000rpm redline make for a much more linear feeling car that around a track, is faster. I drove a 2018 GTS turbo 4 porsche and that was still faster than a BMW 4 banger. The NA six pulls much more linearly and makes peak torque closer to 6000RPM but if you want true low-end torque monster, electric / hybrid motor is the way to go. Take a look at the upcoming C8 ZR1 or Zora if you want a true torque monster.

I think the C8 interior is great in my eyes and they overdelivered on comfort / quality interior. The real problem imo is the massive oversteer, weight and build quality is nowhere near a Porsche but at 60k dollar for dollar the C8 is a better buy. I agree with you 125k for a middle of the road optioned GT4 is insane, but my main hope for the C8 is that Porsche pricing gets more in control...a GTS 4.0 with options should cost 85k out the door or the same as the G8x.

I think the GT4 RS will be as close to perfection as possible as I don't think a turbo 718 GT car makes sense engineering wise due to heat management, space and the chassis is being better suited to a NA engine. Putting a turbo on a Cayman would cannibalize 75% of the 911 lineup but the electric / hybrid cayman coming soon will definitely have big gains to torque.
Ditto. I'm very excited about RS. Reports say it will likely come in around 500 hp. I'll see what the base configuration will be. My concern is that it'll most likely have a non-optional big wing in the back and a base suspension too harsh for daily driving. I do ok for my wife and I but I don't have 145k+ lying around to get a car just for weekend fun. I guess what I really want is a Cayman with GT2 RS engine in it but it'll probably cost 350k.

I really wanted C8 to work for me.. I really tried...Mid engine, NA, 500hp, all sounds perfect for me. But I can't bypass the boxy steering wheel and the "shut up and enjoy the ride" passenger seat. Porsche and Mclaren are way more hardcore than GM so I don't see the point of going that aggressive for "driver-oriented".

Tesla does create quite a stir in the auto industry.... and an identity crisis for me when it comes to cars. Had tesla made its model 3 perf as sexy as its upcoming roadster, I probably put money down for one already but I can't pass its lack of personality for that model 3 design. Had they simply made a smaller S (instead of an uglier model S) for the model 3, I might have fallen for the silent killer.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #14
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!
You'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
You'll love it.
I am sure I will love it. I just havent seen any good dyno data on it. I find it hard to believe that you suddenly go from 184 HP to 230/240 HP (40%ish gain) out of thin air just like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #16
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You'll love it.
I am sure I will love it. I just havent seen any good dyno data on it. I find it hard to believe that you suddenly go from 184 HP to 230/240 HP (40%ish gain) out of thin air just like that.
My wife is a model driver and even she likes it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #17
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ditto. I'm very excited about RS. Reports say it will likely come in around 500 hp. I'll see what the base configuration will be. My concern is that it'll most likely have a non-optional big wing in the back and a base suspension too harsh for daily driving. I do ok for my wife and I but I don't have 145k+ lying around to get a car just for weekend fun. I guess what I really want is a Cayman with GT2 RS engine in it but it'll probably cost 350k.

I really wanted C8 to work for me.. I really tried...Mid engine, NA, 500hp, all sounds perfect for me. But I can't bypass the boxy steering wheel and the "shut up and enjoy the ride" passenger seat. Porsche and Mclaren are way more hardcore than GM so I don't see the point of going for that look.

Tesla does create quite a stir in the auto industry.... and an identity crisis for me when it comes to cars. Had tesla made its model 3 perf as sexy as its upcoming roadster, I probably put money down for one already but I can't pass its lack of personality for that model 3 design. Had they simply made a smaller S (instead of an uglier model S) for the model 3, I might have fallen for the silent killer.
Agree 100%!!!

The GT4 RS wing will definitely be raised and the car will be an absolutely rough daily. The added downforce for tracking would be nice and the normal GT4 wing needs risers to get it out of your rear view anyways. Honestly, i think a GTS 4.0 is the better buy if you don't track regularly / want to daily as I bet in 2022+ you can find GTS 4.0s discounted at the dealer lots once supply catches up.

The Corvette has to comprise but for 80k i can live with the crappy american aesthetic choices simply because that V8 screams and you get more engine, but perhaps less car? than a 718 4.0....Andreas Preuninger and GT cars are just legendary track cars but the C8 Z06 and ZR1 will change the game.

Porsche has always in my head been a tier and price bracket above BMW, but mark my words, eventually they will have electric caymans priced at 50k competing with the model 3, and as a tesla shareholder, i support having tesla having a smaller 2 seater roadster priced like a model S.

As a car enthusiast, i hate the model 3 and would take a Taycan over a model S in a heartbeat. Love teslas generally tho.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #18
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is all the dyno info you need under the images.

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/prod...15285111062563
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #19
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I really wanted C8 to work for me.. I really tried...Mid engine, NA, 500hp, all sounds perfect for me. But I can't bypass the boxy steering wheel and the "shut up and enjoy the ride" passenger seat. Porsche and Mclaren are way more hardcore than GM so I don't see the point of going for that look.

Agree 100%!!!

The GT4 RS wing will definitely be raised and the car will be an absolutely rough daily. The added downforce for tracking would be nice and the normal GT4 wing needs risers to get it out of your rear view anyways. Honestly, i think a GTS 4.0 is the better buy if you don't track regularly / want to daily as I bet in 2022+ you can find GTS 4.0s discounted at the dealer lots once supply catches up.

The Corvette has to comprise but for 80k i can live with the crappy american aesthetic choices simply because that V8 screams and you get more engine, but perhaps less car? than a 718 4.0....Andreas Preuninger and GT cars are just legendary track cars but the C8 Z06 and ZR1 will change the game.

Porsche has always in my head been a tier and price bracket above BMW, but mark my words, eventually they will have electric caymans priced at 50k competing with the model 3, and as a tesla shareholder, i support having tesla having a smaller 2 seater roadster priced like a model S.

As a car enthusiast, i hate the model 3 and would take a Taycan over a model S in a heartbeat. Love teslas generally tho.
Absolutely no doubt. Porsche is above BMW. Hands down. When you look at gts and gt4 I'm not sure what it is the gt4 looks sexier. And not just because of the perfect size wing. I'd pay more just for that look let alone the 20 more horses.

For city driving I really need to rev it up to get the torque and that raise the eyebrows of nosy neighbors. Especially me. I'll get a red or yellow one XD. I'll be the talk of the community. I've built that car so many times online.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #20
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
The 20i and 30i have identical hardware, the 20i is just kneecapped at the software level which is why a tune completely wakes it up
Appreciate 1
haagm58810.50
      10-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #21
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
The 20i and 30i have identical hardware, the 20i is just kneecapped at the software level which is why a tune completely wakes it up
I got xHP stage 3 for my M240i. I like that it's shifting faster. But even at sport+ it's still very eager to go to higher gear to go below 2krpm. The only way to avoid this is to depress the gas pedal more but that's not always possible. With the AMG I had before this car, at sport+, the engine rpm stayed at least around 3krpm even I was not aggressive on the gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #22
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
I got xHP stage 3 for my M240i. I like that it's shifting faster. But even at sport+ it's still very eager to go to higher gear to go below 2krpm. The only way to avoid this is to depress the gas pedal more but that's not always possible. With the AMG I had before this car, at sport+, the engine rpm stayed at least around 3krpm even I was not aggressive on the gas.
You should read this: https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/ho..._logic_of_8hp/

tl;dr You should put the stick to the left to S mode to get higher shift points with xHP
Appreciate 0