F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Budget friendly way to reach ~300hp?
proTUNING Freaks

10-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #23
sqwinny
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Your biggest expense will be tune, and the catted downpipe as you want to not have to deal with smog and visual inspection. if you don't need smog, it'll be quite a bit cheaper.

Make sure this fits but if it does then buy this:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...tted-downpipe/

Buy the bm3 tune with all maps. Should keep you happy for a while. You'll never have to buy another tune again for the most part. If you want to run stage 2, you will need an intercooler. If you run the stage 2 tune without an intercooler, YOU WILL HEAT SOAK after the car warms up. I learned the hard way. G-Plus intercooler will work for your needs, runs around $220 and is cheaper if you even buy it used (self-plug but I'm selling mine soon to go big turbo). G-Plus intercooler fits like stock (the one I have anyway) and it takes the same effort to install as the small OEM one. fits charge pipes with ease.

After that comes supporting mods (charge pipe and boost pipe/ turbo inlet/ cold air intake/cat-back exhaust/diverter valve upgrade). You can call yourself FBO after that.

Last edited by sqwinny; 10-24-2020 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #24
mattbert
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i 2016

Ive heard Bm3 is safer for your car than JB4 also
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #25
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Your biggest expense will be tune, and the catted downpipe as you want to not have to deal with smog and visual inspection. if you don't need smog, it'll be quite a bit cheaper.

Make sure this fits but if it does then buy this:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...tted-downpipe/

Buy the bm3 tune with all maps. Should keep you happy for a while. You'll never have to buy another tune again for the most part. If you want to run stage 2, you will need an intercooler. If you run the stage 2 tune without an intercooler, YOU WILL HEAT SOAK after the car warms up. I learned the hard way. G-Plus intercooler will work for your needs, runs around $220 and is cheaper if you even buy it used (self-plug but I'm selling mine soon to go big turbo). G-Plus intercooler fits like stock (the one I have anyway) and it takes the same effort to install as the small OEM one. fits charge pipes with ease.

After that comes supporting mods (charge pipe and boost pipe/ turbo inlet/ cold air intake/cat-back exhaust/diverter valve upgrade). You can call yourself FBO after that.
Excellent info, thank you for laying it all out thats exactly what I needed! Looks like I'll start with BM3 stage 1 on 93 octane with catted DP and then add charge pipe/ inlet pipe/ boost pipe/ DV/ FMIC thereafter once I can generate a little more cash to put into the car. After all, I did just pay cash for my f30 by working for $8/hr at a golf course might take a solid amount of time to reach FBO. Also, how much would you want for your fmic?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #26
Kel918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
I know the charge pipe does nothing for horsepower and if anything its minimal, but everywhere I look it says to upgrade the charge pipe once you tune since its prone to cracking. And the jb+ just seems like a little UNDERkill... I believe the lowest Id go is the BMS stage 1 piggyback. As far as exhaust I plan to just do a muffler delete. Intercooler wise, I heard G plus wasnt very good and required modification to fit the charge pipe?
In the end it’s whatever you feel safe with but I can tell you that my car makes more power with a jb+ then the people I’ve seen that have other piggybacks and flash tunes, I have a dyno of my setup for proof. As for the G-plus intercooler they’re a good amount of people running them without any problems. I have the money to buy everything name brand but I want to show people that you can do it without spending a stupid amount of money.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #27
sqwinny
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel918 View Post
In the end it’s whatever you feel safe with but I can tell you that my car makes more power with a jb+ then the people I’ve seen that have other piggybacks and flash tunes, I have a dyno of my setup for proof. As for the G-plus intercooler, they’re a good amount of people running them without any problems. I have the money to buy everything name brand but I want to show people that you can do it without spending a stupid amount of money.
I did the same. eBay downpipe + g plus intercooler + BM3 tunes + N55 muffler until recently. I will say muffler delete or aftermarket muffler makes a difference with downpipe compared to the stock muffler. however, those gains are little in comparison to downpipe + intercooler + tune.

off topic, but I can't wait to see how your engine turns out
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #28
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So to clarify, can we all agree that a tune, FMIC and down pipe is the way to go? And I can add a charge pipe/ boost pipe/ etc after that? If so, I am now stuck between BM3 and JB4. The JB4 fits my budget alot better but I hear BM3 is a better tune...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #29
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Hello, Im a college student and recently purchased a 2012 328i with the n20. I came from an e90 n52, so Ive never done anything to increase performance in a car. So, my question is, what is the best, easiest, most budget friendly way to get my f30 pushing around 300hp? Im assuming thats an easy goal... Not sure if i want to get the BMS Stage 1 or the JB4, or if I want to go FBO or not. Ive also been considering BM3. I use 93 octane gas. Im open to all suggestions, but all said and done (including coils and plugs if needed) I'd like to have spent around $1000 but even less would be great! As always, all help is appreciated. Thanks!
might wanna think about timing chain and other preventative maintenance items before you do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #30
Kel918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328ix

Quote:
I did the same. eBay downpipe + g plus intercooler + BM3 tunes + N55 muffler until recently. I will say muffler delete or aftermarket muffler makes a difference with downpipe compared to the stock muffler. however, those gains are little in comparison to downpipe + intercooler + tune.

off topic, but I can't wait to see how your engine turns out
Thanks ! hopefully everything goes smooth and I can get in the 6-700whp range
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #31
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
Quote:
Hello, Im a college student and recently purchased a 2012 328i with the n20. I came from an e90 n52, so Ive never done anything to increase performance in a car. So, my question is, what is the best, easiest, most budget friendly way to get my f30 pushing around 300hp? Im assuming thats an easy goal... Not sure if i want to get the BMS Stage 1 or the JB4, or if I want to go FBO or not. Ive also been considering BM3. I use 93 octane gas. Im open to all suggestions, but all said and done (including coils and plugs if needed) I'd like to have spent around $1000 but even less would be great! As always, all help is appreciated. Thanks!
might wanna think about timing chain and other preventative maintenance items before you do that.
Like what? Coils/plugs, diverter valve and charge pipe are all I know of that could potentially fail over time even without a tune but Im new to performance mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #32
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Like what? Coils/plugs, diverter valve and charge pipe are all I know of that could potentially fail over time even without a tune but Im new to performance mods.
timing chain is more likely to fail on N20s and cause extra damage. He is insinuating that despite spending money for performance mods, your timing chain might cause more damage in repairs / replacement than you would expect.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #33
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbert View Post
+1 and more performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #34
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Quote:
timing chain is more likely to fail on N20s and cause extra damage. He is insinuating that despite spending money for performance mods, your timing chain might cause more damage in repairs / replacement than you would expect.
Is the timing chain replacement something I should do preemptively? Pretty expensive repair but I have an extended warranty on my car from the dealership I just bought it from yet it will only cover it if it actually fails.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #35
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbert View Post
+1 and more performance.
BM3 it is then. Will start with stage 1 on 93 with only my intake, muffler delete and a charge pipe for safety and then eventually go FBO and stage 2. For now, I think BM3 and charge pipe is a perfect fit for my timing at hand as well as my budget!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #36
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
BM3 it is then. Will start with stage 1 on 93 with only my intake, muffler delete and a charge pipe for safety and then eventually go FBO and stage 2. For now, I think BM3 and charge pipe is a perfect fit for my timing at hand as well as my budget!
this is probably the option that will save you the most. Reach out to Mike @ XPH.

https://x-ph.com/f-chassis-n20-n26-b...ue-combo-deal/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #37
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
this is probably the option that will save you the most. Reach out to Mike @ XPH.

https://x-ph.com/f-chassis-n20-n26-b...ue-combo-deal/
I saw this but dont know how I feel about catless DP. They are illegal in my state :/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #38
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I saw this but dont know how I feel about catless DP. They are illegal in my state :/
there is a selection for a catted one.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #39
sqwinny
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly enough, there isn't anymore. The prices on x-ph have changed a bit due to a change in vendors for parts too. The catted downpipe is the reason I posted my link above. For the catted downpipe, it appears these are the following options:

Supersprint catted downpipe $1644
aFe catted downpipe $952
ER raceworks (built to order) $945
Wagner tuning (if you can find, it's discontinued) $790
Turner motorsport (just released theirs) $385
Appreciate 1
Avaley731.00
      10-26-2020, 07:04 PM   #40
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Surprisingly enough, there isn't anymore. The prices on x-ph have changed a bit due to a change in vendors for parts too. The catted downpipe is the reason I posted my link above. For the catted downpipe, it appears these are the following options:

Supersprint catted downpipe $1644
aFe catted downpipe $952
ER raceworks (built to order) $945
Wagner tuning (if you can find, it's discontinued) $790
Turner motorsport (just released theirs) $385
Turner motorsports dp is what ill go for, but i think to stick to my budget i am going to do a stage 1 set up for now and stage 2 this summer once im home from college and have accumulated more cash. Stage 2 will hopefully get my car to FBO and also stage 2 BM3.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #41
sqwinny
Major
No_Country
Rep

Go for it. For all you know you'll have happy with a stage 1 tune and that's it. It changes the car that much.
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #42
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Go for it. For all you know you'll have happy with a stage 1 tune and that's it. It changes the car that much.
Sounds good to me. Will do a tune and charge pipe and turbo inlet pipe and will update this thread once i do it. Should only be a couple weeks, waiting on my new wheels to get here so i can sell the others and use the cash on performance. No-loss no-gain type of deal
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #43
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have experience with the BMS stage 1 tune thats $379? Just curious, although my mind is almost set on BM3.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #44
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

Just read through this. Let me give you my thoughts. I'm in NC too.....catless downpipe, you will fail inspection. High flow catted downpipe, you will still fail inspection. NC is tough on that. There's ways around it, but it's much more complicated. I have a FMIC, and BM3 stage 1. Makes a big difference and i'm satisfied. Get your timing chain inspected before you do all this. It's probably fine, but just make sure. I haven't had mine replaced and don't plan on it. If it breaks it breaks.

Charge pipe would be last on the list to upgrade. N20 charge pipes don't break like that.....that's an N55 problem. You can do it for peace of mind, but i'd save my money and invest it elsewhere. It's like the timing chain, not necessary unless there's a problem. Aim for 1 step colder plugs, and a performance exhaust or muffler delete...depending on how loud you want things. Don't waste money on an intake unless you just like the sound. $2-300 for minimal HP gains and "whoosh" is probably not the best move.

I dk much about the diverter valve. I wanted to try it but based on how much of a pain it seems to install, im good lol. Cost to benefit ratio doesn't seem all that beneficial to me.

300 to the wheels is not easy in an N20, it's just not really made for that, but 260-280 is achievable and still pretty fun. A stage 1 tune and an intercooler are probably your best bets to start out.
Appreciate 1
Avaley731.00