F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Mono amp for sub versus cross over three channel amp
proTUNING Freaks

09-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Mono amp for sub versus cross over three channel amp

I'm researching a configuration for my F30 with HK stereo. Many of you have just installed a mono amp with a sub and have been very happy with the outcome. I'm trying decide whether to just add a sub using that method or purchasing a three channel amp so that I can crossover the two underseat subs at a higher frequency and allow the sub to fill all of the lower frequencies.

Conventional wisdom might suggested that going the second route may yield better results, but I don't want to go this route if the results are not significant.

Has anyone done both and compared the results? I know everything is subjective, but I'd like some that has actually heard both for your opinion.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If you're running the stock under seat woofers and adding a trunk sub you'll get a better overall result separately amplifying them, crossing over from the under seat woofers to the trunk sub around 60Hz. You don't need a three channel amp for that, as the signal to the under seat woofers is mono, but you may if you wish.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
Encanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

A JL Audio XD500/3v2 with sub and OEM woofers is a significant improvement in bass and midbass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp330i View Post
I'm researching a configuration for my F30 with HK stereo. Many of you have just installed a mono amp with a sub and have been very happy with the outcome. I'm trying decide whether to just add a sub using that method or purchasing a three channel amp so that I can crossover the two underseat subs at a higher frequency and allow the sub to fill all of the lower frequencies.

Conventional wisdom might suggested that going the second route may yield better results, but I don't want to go this route if the results are not significant.

Has anyone done both and compared the results? I know everything is subjective, but I'd like some that has actually heard both for your opinion.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Encanto
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If you're running the stock under seat woofers and adding a trunk sub you'll get a better overall result separately amplifying them, crossing over from the under seat woofers to the trunk sub around 60Hz. You don't need a three channel amp for that, as the signal to the under seat woofers is mono, but you may if you wish.
Underseat woofers signal is stereo.
Appreciate 2
J555195.50
pierreye153.50

09-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
pierreye
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp330i View Post

Thanks!
If your amp have build in DSP, the second option would be better. You can go for AudioControl D.4.800. Use Channel 1 & 2 for underseat sub, and bridge Channel 3 & 4 for Mono Sub. Also note that you need to use DSP to increase the frequency below 40hz as HK amp have build in HPF around that freq.
Appreciate 0