F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Monitor Readiness Fail
ARMA SPEED

10-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Tlag
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Monitor Readiness Fail

I brought my f30 to my local shop to get its yearly NYS vehicle inspection done today and after about an hour I got a call saying my car was ready for pickup (shop was closing) upon getting there I learned they were unable to even inspect the car because both the o2 monitor and EVAP monitor were throwing up "not ready". They gave me a 10 day extension paper and told me to go drive around for about 50 miles and bring it back. Now I'm not sure why these codes are popping up but I have a sneaking suspicion it may have to do with the ecu resets from me playing around with bimmercode the other day. I haven't driven the car much more than maybe 10 miles since doing the light coding that I did (changing headlight to LED, convenient entry, sport+). Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Is it more likely that I haven't gotten the car through a full drive cycle and thats why the monitors are not ready or do you think I'm looking at having to replace some parts here?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It was most likely from you resetting the ECU. It needs to cycle through a procedure to set their "readiness" for emissions testing, and should be fine if you do the 50 mile drive like they are suggesting.

There is a specific procedure to bring speed up and down over a prescribed period of time, but this naturally happens by just driving a decent distance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It was most likely from you resetting the ECU. It needs to cycle through a procedure to set their "readiness" for emissions testing, and should be fine if you do the 50 mile drive like they are suggesting.
There is a specific procedure to bring speed up and down over a prescribed period of time, but this naturally happens by just driving a decent distance.
AKA drive or driving cycle.
https://www.europeantransmissions.co...0Procedure.pdf
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Thanks, that's what I was trying to reference!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Tlag
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Going to try this today and I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it works!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #6
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlag View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Going to try this today and I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it works!
Did that work for you. Same thing happened to me on my F87. Had to end up taking it to the dealer to get the sensors ready. They reset the DME and I lost all my BimmerCode setting. Now im afraid to mess with BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Always good to have a small OBD tool that can read the system for readiness. I have one for when I de-tune the car from Bootmod3 and go back to stock for the yearly inspection

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Oh I have the tool. It was just not getting ready. Dealer had to reprogram the DME etc to get it ready. I passed inspection…. And redid the BimmerCode settings and reset ECU now the o2 sensor and o2 heater sensor has to get ready. Hopefully it will get ready soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I coded my bmw for windows up and down with bimmercode. Went to get a smog and failed since some things where not ready. I have since put 100 miles on the car and found a free app to check for readiness. And its saying some things are not ready. I need to smog this thing. Dam me for touching bimmercode. How many miles did it take you guys?

oxygen sensor = no ready
oxygen sensor heater = not ready
misfine = ready
fuel system = ready
components = ready
Catalyst = not ready
evap system = not ready
      09-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I coded my bmw for windows up and down with bimmercode. Went to get a smog and failed since some things where not ready. I have since put 100 miles on the car and found a free app to check for readiness. And its saying some things are not ready. I need to smog this thing. Dam me for touching bimmercode. How many miles did it take you guys?

oxygen sensor = no ready
oxygen sensor heater = not ready
misfine = ready
fuel system = ready
components = ready
Catalyst = not ready
evap system = not ready
It's not only about miles. You need to complete the drive cyles. There are periods of extended idle both hot and cold, letting the car sit (especially for EVAP), cold start and hot starts, etc. Just google BMW drive cycles for some tips.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
Fernando.mz09
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by icloudfiles View Post
Oh I have the tool. It was just not getting ready. Dealer had to reprogram the DME etc to get it ready. I passed inspection…. And redid the BimmerCode settings and reset ECU now the o2 sensor and o2 heater sensor has to get ready. Hopefully it will get ready soon.
I did some bimmerCode and never pay attention that my monitors for emission test go incomplete every time I turn off my car some of them complete while I’m driving but every time that I turn off the car they go incomplete again
Doing a DME reprogramming would fix this?
Appreciate 0