F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Stage 2 and downpipe recommendations
GetBMWParts

06-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
nzuberi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340

Bootmod3 Stage 2 and downpipe recommendations

I got bootmod3 Stage 1 93 last month and it's awesome. I would highly recommend it. It was very easy to install and makes a huge difference.

Looking for recommendations to get to stage 2. How much difference would I feel. I guess I will at least need a downpipe. I'm thinking of VRSF. Any reviews or recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I ended up buying the VRSF catted version (finally back in stock, and just go the shipping label). It seems to be the best value if you are looking for a catted variant.
Appreciate 1
nikman011174.50
      06-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzuberi View Post
I got bootmod3 Stage 1 93 last month and it's awesome. I would highly recommend it. It was very easy to install and makes a huge difference.

Looking for recommendations to get to stage 2. How much difference would I feel. I guess I will at least need a downpipe. I'm thinking of VRSF. Any reviews or recommendations?
Highly highly recommend CG DS1 Catted.
200 CEL
No check engine light
Only downside is price, but it's well worth it. It has the down pipe support bracket as the VRSF does not.
Personally I'd rather have my downpipe supported as it was designed from factory than to have it rest on the midpipe and turbo.

I have had it for over a year with no check engine light and no issues. Handles burbles fairly well too
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
BornATeste
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sportline Black RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw22915 View Post
Quote:

Highly highly recommend CG DS1 Catted.
200 CEL
No check engine light
Only downside is price, but it's well worth it. It has the down pipe support bracket as the VRSF does not.
Personally I'd rather have my downpipe supported as it was designed from factory than to have it rest on the midpipe and turbo.

I have had it for over a year with no check engine light and no issues. Handles burbles fairly well too
+1on the CG DS-1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
BornATeste
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sportline Black RWD

The CG DS-1 uses a post CAT O2 bung that blocks the sensor from getting exhaust gases passed over it. Typically the face of the sensor is directly exposed to the exhaust coming out of the first CAT on the stock downpipe. This allows it to smell the "processed" exhaust and verify the CAT is cleaning the exhaust properly. Obviously on a lower density CAT the exhaust is not a clean coming out. CG figured out a perfect way of lowering the sensors exposure to the gases and therefore it doesn't throw a check engine light. For the people that have seen the occasional CEL, my assumption is some combination of the burbles causes there to be a backfeed of exhaust maybe, allowing the gases to hit the sensor and maybe that is enough to trigger the CEL. Ive had this installed for about a week now and haven't seen a CEL and can verify that the exhaust sound and added power from stage 2 are well worth it. Also you can get 10% off on this pipe from x-ph if you buy something from them and post a review on social media. 2nd best bang for the buck behind BM3 in my book.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 01:00 AM   #6
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
I was in the same boat as you. 2 weeks after stage 1 OTS. I went to vrsf catless then up to stage 2. And man, that power is amazing. Especially matching it with our transmission. Off the line pulls harder. The 30mph rolling pull jumps compared to stage 1. I really feel the difference between the two maps and I'm satisfied where the car stands now.

I went catless vrsf for the price especially with the discount through x-ph. Yes. The smell is noticable especially at a red light with windows down or in a garage. Yes. Cold start is insanely louder. Its raspy when revved. But quiet in comfort mode. Would I switch to catted dp later? Yes. As long the smell is less than catless and if it's not a noticable drop in power.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
I was in the same boat as you. 2 weeks after stage 1 OTS. I went to vrsf catless then up to stage 2. And man, that power is amazing. Especially matching it with our transmission. Off the line pulls harder. The 30mph rolling pull jumps compared to stage 1. I really feel the difference between the two maps and I'm satisfied where the car stands now.

I went catless vrsf for the price especially with the discount through x-ph. Yes. The smell is noticable especially at a red light with windows down or in a garage. Yes. Cold start is insanely louder. Its raspy when revved. But quiet in comfort mode. Would I switch to catted dp later? Yes. As long the smell is less than catless and if it's not a noticable drop in power.
Damn the smell is that noticeable? I am still debating catless vs catted downpipe. If you want a catted dp that lasts and can flow as much as a catless dp, it will cost a pretty penny.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #8
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
Damn the smell is that noticeable? I am still debating catless vs catted downpipe. If you want a catted dp that lasts and can flow as much as a catless dp, it will cost a pretty penny.
Well I'm pretty sensitive to smell than others. But I did get light headed cruising in downtown with all the red lights from the exhaust smell and windows down. I ended up using my outer air vents aimed out the window to push some smell out ahah. But I'm sure I'll get use to that racecar smell. Not sure the difference in catted and catless in terms of power. But it's worth it to me especially if it's a noticable gain and real cheap in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

VRSF downpipe is a solid choice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post

Cannot comment on power differences, but did the VSRF catted + BM3 stage2. This thing is just a beast to drive, and have no regrets.

I don't have an smells (at least at idle). When I first put it in, I had started it, let the cold start end, revved it a couple of times, and then there was a minor gas smell, but I don't know if it was the cat is too small to scrub WOT flows, or it was just cold. I will need to repeat on a fully hot engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

If your windows are up and you are at a stop light, will you smell anything or is it only when the windows are open?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #12
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid67 View Post
If your windows are up and you are at a stop light, will you smell anything or is it only when the windows are open?
It shouldn't leak through in your cabin when windows are closed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #13
BAKKI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Cannot comment on power differences, but did the VSRF catted + BM3 stage2. This thing is just a beast to drive, and have no regrets.

I don't have an smells (at least at idle). When I first put it in, I had started it, let the cold start end, revved it a couple of times, and then there was a minor gas smell, but I don't know if it was the cat is too small to scrub WOT flows, or it was just cold. I will need to repeat on a fully hot engine.
Would you happen to have any soundclips? I've been looking into your exact build (VRSF catted, BM3 stage 2)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #14
Holmmade
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Garage List
2016 Bmw 340i  [0.00]
I chose Evolution Racewerks and man am i happy. Pretty Easy install
(with a lift) no pipe expander needed. Welded OE bracket fit spot on to where it needed to bolt to.. which was a selling point and great welds and overall Quality of the part. Definitely recommend

I went with Catless of-course, yeah it smells a little but im a man and i actually invite the scent, maybe cause i was always around Mod/tuned cars since i started driving. My lady just says "i smell exhaust" when we get home sometimes i just laugh it off.

OH and FYI for installers the "L" shape O2 sensor extender (CEL eliminator)
does not work for DPs with that welded on bracket it will fit all others
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #15
rahlow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmmade View Post
I chose Evolution Racewerks and man am i happy. Pretty Easy install
(with a lift) no pipe expander needed. Welded OE bracket fit spot on to where it needed to bolt to.. which was a selling point and great welds and overall Quality of the part. Definitely recommend

I went with Catless of-course, yeah it smells a little but im a man and i actually invite the scent, maybe cause i was always around Mod/tuned cars since i started driving. My lady just says "i smell exhaust" when we get home sometimes i just laugh it off.

OH and FYI for installers the "L" shape O2 sensor extender (CEL eliminator)
does not work for DPs with that welded on bracket it will fit all others

I have the same downpipe as you and catless. I just gotta comment on something u said, u said it smells a little but your a man like your implying if u go catted you are less of a man? Lolol, I'm sorry that shit cracked me up when I read it.
Appreciate 1
Shady6747.00
      04-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #16
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlow View Post
I have the same downpipe as you and catless. I just gotta comment on something u said, u said it smells a little but your a man like your implying if u go catted you are less of a man? Lolol, I'm sorry that shit cracked me up when I read it.
I love the smell of race gas in the morning! Smells like victory.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      04-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
yokata
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 340xi

Im with vrsf catless dp and didn smell nothing except u stand behind the car. Sound is amazing with the mppsk.
https://vimeo.com/407625575

Last edited by yokata; 04-14-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
B50AteYourRide
a bit obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i x Drive

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #19
Holmmade
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Garage List
2016 Bmw 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah after i read it back today it was a bit harsh, but i stand behind it.
Heck no i like all you catted DPs out there, i just see a lot of people asking about the smell over an over i just wanted to share my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
4bt4me
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI BMW 340XI

I'm not flash tuned yet, but I just installed a downpipe and have a JB4 yet and on the same Map I'm impressed with the results. I debated going catless, but didn't buy a "luxury sedan" to smell like I'm 16 driving a turbo Mazda with no cats again, and wanted to be able to do long trips without smelling like a push mower.

After much debate amongst the catted options and talking to Mike at X-ph I got the Active Autowerke 300Cel, which by design is so much smoother and you and literally see light through it. The power improvement is amazing, it sounds so much better, and the only smell has been at cold start when it's below freezing. I will be doing MHP and XHP at some point, but I'm actually really happy with the power improvement for the time being.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:05 AM   #21
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Since we will be driving electric cars in the near future I went catless to get maximum performance and enjoy the smell of gasoline

Last edited by IMS-340C; 04-15-2020 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:00 AM   #22
NOSAJF30
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

Do you need a FMIC with stage 2
Appreciate 0