F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2018 340I Xdrive Manual Gearbox max torque load
ARMA SPEED

11-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
GF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 340i xdrive MT +M perf 1+2

2018 340I Xdrive Manual Gearbox max torque load

Does anyone know what the max torque load is for a manual gear box on a 2018 340i xDrive?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Does anyone know what the max torque load is for a manual gear box on a 2018 340i xDrive?

Thanks for your time.
355 lb ft if going by mppsk for manual transmission. The unit in the M3/4 would be able to handle more. It can probably handle more with a jb4 without self destructing but that would be outside warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
GF
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post

Thanks for your time.
355 lb ft if going by mppsk for manual transmission. The unit in the M3/4 would be able to handle more. It can probably handle more with a jb4 without self destructing but that would be outside warranty.
I have mppsk and I'm looking at Dinan elite v2 which will add about 50TQ. My concern is how much extra clutch wear this will cause . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
this is incorrect. Just because MPPSK raises tq to 355 doesn't mean that is the hardware limit. There is always a buffer zone built in from the factory, and there are PLENTY of stock clutch cars making more than 355 without issue.

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
Quote:
this is incorrect. Just because MPPSK raises tq to 355 doesn't mean that is the hardware limit. There is always a buffer zone built in from the factory, and there are PLENTY of stock clutch cars making more than 355 without issue.
The mppsk raises torque to 369 for automatics it is only raised to 355 for manuals. That's the level they are comfortable with to not have any issues with the clutch.
Appreciate 1
eluded3032.00
      11-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
ZTZ1010
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The mppsk raises torque to 369 for automatics it is only raised to 355 for manuals. That's the level they are comfortable with to not have any issues with the clutch.
Your logic is flawed.

Based on your theory, the S55 6MT would be hardware limited at ZCP power levels since that's where BMW pegged it. However, we know the trans is sufficient for much higher power levels than that. It's much more likely that BMW wanted to "push" 6MT buyers looking for bigger power from the factory into M2s or F8Xs. Keep in mind how conscious BMW is of "softening" models to keep them far enough away from M cars.

The factory HP ratings are not necessarily indicative of hardware limitations.

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 1
e_b_d_i18.00
      11-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Not a whole lot of info on the internet about torque numbers for our ZF 6-speed manual.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=23_1123
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

Based on your theory, the S55 6MT would be hardware limited at ZCP power levels since that's where BMW pegged it. However, we know the trans is sufficient for much higher power levels than that. It's much more likely that BMW wanted to "push" 6MT buyers looking for bigger power from the factory into M2s or F8Xs. Keep in mind how conscious BMW is of "softening" models to keep them far enough away from M cars.

I already said it could handle more but that is what they will cover with warranty. You can tune it all you want with jb4 to over 400 horsepower. It might be fine but long term reliability could be affected.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
ZTZ1010
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

I already said it could handle more but that is what they will cover with warranty. You can tune it all you want with jb4 to over 400 horsepower. It might be fine but long term reliability could be affected.
Right and your assertions about warranty coverage are also incorrect. There is no power threshold above which they will deny coverage. It depends on a number of factors, but saying "if you tune your car they won't warranty any trans issues" is categorically false. Please stop spreading misinformation about tuning and warranty.

Retired:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

Right and your assertions about warranty coverage are also incorrect. There is no power threshold above which they will deny coverage. It depends on a number of factors, but saying "if you tune your car they won't warranty any trans issues" is categorically false. Please stop spreading misinformation about tuning and warranty.
If you break your trans and they find a tune they will deny coverage you are implying you can tune it to 1000 horsepower and if it breaks they will cover it that would be false.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
ZTZ1010
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

If you break your trans and they find a tune they will deny coverage you are implying you can tune it to 1000 horsepower and if it breaks they will cover it that would be false.
It's not worth arguing on an Internet forum about.

You said if you tune your car above the MPPSK level that they would deny warranty coverage on anything trans related.

That statement is categorically and unequivocally false.

It depends on the dealer (some are more mod friendly) as well as the specific part that failed. I personally know multiple people running various tunes across different platforms (N54, N55, B58, S55) who have received trans related warranty work on a tuned vehicle, including new clutches.

Retired:
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

You said if you tune your car above the MPPSK level that they would deny warranty coverage on anything trans related.

It depends on the dealer (some are more mod friendly) as well as the specific part that failed. I personally know multiple people running various tunes across different platforms (N54, N55, B58, S55) who have received trans related warranty work on a tuned vehicle, including new clutches.
Ymmv with dealer claims have been denied for far less. It depends on if they think the part failed as a result of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
GF
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your logic is flawed.

Ymmv with dealer claims have been denied for far less. It depends on if they think the part failed as a result of the tune.
The bottom line is you're only certain of warranty coverage if you don't tune. There's a reason dinan offers tunes that come with an additional warranty
I personally wouldn't risk my warranty for a tune.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562959.50
      11-17-2018, 01:44 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

This arguing on the Internet is funny. BMW has said the MPPKSK is tuned for less torque in the manual transmission because of the limits of the transmission. So I think that statement would be correct.

Say you blow a motor, If BMW finds out you modified anything at all on the car your powertrain warranty will be denied.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562959.50
      11-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

This was going to be a really informative and useful thread until you clowns showed up
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #16
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Okay, the short answer is nobody knows, unless;

a) someone got the info from inside BMW
b) someone strapped up a few boxes and wound them up until they blew up
c) imperical data from tuners that blew boxes
d) someone ran a hunch of boxes for hours and thousands of kms at different hp/tq levels until they blew

So something that wouldn't be easily known.

What the forum will tell you is, what hp/tq levels hasn't resulted in a catastrophic failure.....yet.
      10-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Hey, I am also interested in this old topic.

I contacted ZF and here is their answer:

"Die Bezeichung des Getriebes wird bei der Konstruktion des Getriebes vergeben. Das angegebene Getriebe GS6-45BZ ist nominal für 450 NM ausgelegt, kann aber z.B. durch Aenderungen in der Stückliste auch für eine mehr Drehmoment hergestellt werden.
Die genauen Angaben kann Ihnen jedoch nur der Fahrzeughersteller liefern, denn er bestimmt, welche Motor/Getriebe Kombination im entsprechenden Fahrzeug verbaut ist
"

In summary, the base model of that gearbox is build to stand 450 NM of torque, but the car manufacturer can specifically ask to support more torque.

So in the end, only BMW can answer if the gearbox in the manual 340i can endure more torque or not.

Is there a BMW mechanic here that could check it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

bump!

Any info concerning the max. torque that the gearbox and clutch can bare ?

Anyone having troubles with the 6MT after tuning the engine ?

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #19
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
bump!

Any info concerning the max. torque that the gearbox and clutch can bare ?

Anyone having troubles with the 6MT after tuning the engine ?
My clutch started slipping after a BM3 stage 2 tune with downpipe. Getting the 550i clutch installed which is rated to hold more power and torque
      02-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #20
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
My clutch started slipping after a BM3 stage 2 tune with downpipe. Getting the 550i clutch installed which is rated to hold more power and torque
thank you for the input.

I get the clutch slip thing, but I am more concerned with the gearbox itself, that would be very expensive to change if it breaks..

Any issue in your case ? How many miles do you have since the tune ?

thank you!

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07

Last edited by vcx; 02-20-2020 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #21
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
thank you for the input.

I get the clutch slip thing, but I am more concerned with the gearbox itself, that would be very expensive to change if it breaks..

Any issue in your case ? How many miles do you have since the tune ?

thank you!
I haven't had any gearbox issues no, I do know a few people on here who've also had clutch issues. I haven't really heard of anyone with gearbox issues.

My car has 19,000 miles when I bought it, I put the tune (BM3 stage 2) on with about 21,000 miles and it started slipping almost right away and progressively got worse

Which is odd because my old 340i xdrive that I leased new, I had JB4 stage 2 on for roughly 20,000 miles and never had one issue