F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > "Autocar" review of 330d touring
GetBMWParts

10-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Just got back from test driving a F31 330D M Sport

If you are concerned about fuel consumption.....don't be. After some miles in sport+ I settled down into ECOPRO and did a 12 mile run. About 4 miles on tight twisty B roads and the rest on motorway at between 70-80mph. Result 51.5 MPG

Warning: It is disturbingly easy to get the instantaneous readout to go down to around 5-6MPG, but at speed it hovers around the 40 mark. At 50mph I saw 75MPG (instantaneous so not sure on accuracy).

So like any bigger engined car, if you want it to be thirsty it can be, but nice that if you want high MPG figures you can achieve them.

What else: The engine sounds lovely, could easily mistake it for a petrol 6 at low speeds. Once you hit 50 or so you don't hear the engine at all.

If you had concerns about the smoothness of ASS like I did if honest, you'll be pleased to know that the stop/start is very smooth. Engine fires up within the time it takes to move your right foot from brake pedal to throttle.

Ride quality: Test car was a touring of course and had the standard 18" wheels. Ride quality overall is very good. It does 'rattle' at times, although the feeling doesn't come through the steering too much. General suspension set up is 'SPORTY' and controlled. I would say perfect for UK roads. Test car was not fitted with adaptive.
The car feels like it has a limited slip diff in it, you can feel the taughtness when you get wheelspin, and both wheels seem to spin together, so a definite LSD at work feeling. By the way, you don't even have to try to spin the wheels, a rapid get away whilst with any amount of lock on brings the warning light on, even on dry tarmac.

Steering: The electric steering does have a slight numbness to it, not when actually turning, but in small movements, those little corrections, it does feel 'electric'. It in no way ruins the feeling if you go for a spirited drive, when the steering and the M Sport wheel feel perfectly weighted and precise. On the motorway this numbness is not apparent, so well done BMW and ZF. No sign of the steering wheel shake

Cabin noise: This is a an area that lets the new 3 down IMO. I am coming from a Mercedes C class (w204) which is very quiet in all departments. The 3 transmits a lot of road noise (due to run flats I would imagine) and worse still you get a tinny vibe resonating through the cabin. Not a pleasant noise, if any road noise can be described as pleasant. On my drive of a 320D F30 some months ago, I noticed a fair amount of wind noise, which I was expecting with this car, but no. The only wind noise I got was when driving in a cross wind situation.

Anything else?: BMW sadly seem to have really expensive feeling controls, mixed in with some downright cheap and nasties. I am not feeling the iDrive controls, the Merc one is very soft where the BMW is very clicky, like using a cheap mouse. Such a shame.

I think I am definitely going to miss a manual transmission. Don't get me wrong the ZF 8AT is absolutely brilliant for an auto, but on a spirited drive, I feel somehow disconnected in a way. Even in manual mode, I miss slotting those cogs

Non HK sound is good enough for me

Overall, I'm very impressed with the car, does everything you expect and more. Can't wait to get mine. Some more good news is my build has come forward to week 46 from week 49 and delivery early December
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
Hi Guys. My delivery was postponed to next week
Hmmm .. just had a email from my dealer ..... mine too. Co-incidence ?
Sounds like a shipment they were expecting last week/end didn't happen.

So my car is just sat in some car park in <some country>.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I noticed from the first touring review in AutoCar that the touring has lost a little in ride quality to the saloon. Hence not surprised in the 330d review.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...w-328i-touring

Quote:
Mechanically the Touring is identical to the saloon except for stiffer rear springs, which may have been why this 328i presented a ride slightly less accomplished than that of a recently sampled 320d saloon. Sharper bumps are the trouble, this 328i wagon riding them less pliantly. But its quick, precise steering and well-balanced, low-roll cornering remain, making this a genuine sports estate.
Quote:
Diesel will be what the bulk of British Touring buyers opt for of course, and thus powered the Touring should prove almost as enjoyable a drive as the equivalent saloon, but with a whole lot more classy utility.
It was my niggle with the E91 330d, it never sat right at the rear on poor surfaces, due to a far too stiff a spring rate for an unloaded car. The 3-series tourings really need the air springs and self levelling suspension of the 5-series to get that ride quality sorted.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
Hardrada
Rep
Drives: F31 330D-M SPORT- Estoril Blue

330d drive

I'm chugging around in a 118d, 8 years old, but still drives really well, but very heavy compared to the 330d. Its more of a 'railed' feeling.
The 330D feels like gliding over syrup. I'll be honest and say I only had an hour and the balance was very different to the 1 series. I use the gears a lot in the 1 series to brake when I'm on back roads and I wasn't really fully sorted on tweaking with the paddles on the 330D. The sport mode is perfect for back roads, and the blast of power as you come out of a sharp bend is awesome; especially if you've got a bit of a straight to wind in to. Traction was impressive, I can sail the rear on the 1 series really easily and the F31 seemed well planted. Probably didn't push it too hard as the dealers insurance has a £1000 excess!
It'll take a while to really feel the car's potential, but potential it has in bucket loads. Might need to take a day off, load up the ipod with all the best driving songs and put 300 miles into her to really sort the pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Cool guys, nice to see the overall positive reviews coming through.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

One thing that totally baffled me was the amount of pages on the Pro nav system. I don't think there is anything that it can't do. Was really pleased that the voice recognition worked seemlessly without even customizing to my voice.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #29
Hardrada
Rep

delays

Car delayed for another week, now expected w/c 15th October. Bit peeved to put it mildly, why advise and promise a date and then let it slide without any reason? Mmmm.
Especially frustrating following my blast in the 330D on Tuesday, and wanting to repeat the experience asap.
Oh well
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

It still got 4.5 stars. Possibly a bit generous.

But it really needs adjustable air suspension in its backside. I drove one and found the rear part of the car just kept messing around a bit too much on our ragged tarmac. The saloon, though, is pretty neigh perfect.
      10-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #31
Hardrada
Rep

Interesting I didn't notice any rear movement, but I haven't come from an F30 to feel the difference.
We shall see how it feels after I've been driving it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #32
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrada View Post
Interesting I didn't notice any rear movement, but I haven't come from an F30 to feel the difference.
We shall see how it feels after I've been driving it for a while.
It's a great car, anyway. Just splitting hairs.
      10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post

But it really needs adjustable air suspension in its backside. I drove one and found the rear part of the car just kept messing around a bit too much on our ragged tarmac. The saloon, though, is pretty neigh perfect.
Good to see I'm not the only one who feels the rear end needs the 5-series touring treatment. The rear suspension tuning is the weakness of the previous generation touring, something I could never settle with, it always bugged me that it was flawed. So when I read a few weeks back the F31 was again 'slighted' at the rear, I was a little disappointed to be honest. Particularly after trying the saloon and feeling BMW had got it right. OK, it may be asking too much for a 3-series touring.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #34
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good to see I'm not the only one who feels the rear end needs the 5-series touring treatment. The rear suspension tuning is the weakness of the previous generation touring, something I could never settle with, it always bugged me that it was flawed. So when I read a few weeks back the F31 was again 'slighted' at the rear, I was a little disappointed to be honest. Particularly after trying the saloon and feeling BMW had got it right. OK, it may be asking too much for a 3-series touring.

HighlandPete
I kept fixating on the rear end movement which, after 10 mins of driving on undulating tarmac, began to annoy me. The drive was immediately after I had driven the saloon. The saloon is a truly great car, the touring a very good one.
      10-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #35
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post

Adaptive suspension/steering sorts things out, I drove the touring with it yesterday, and without the day before and it's much improved WITH
      10-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #36
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Adaptive suspension/steering sorts things out, I drove the touring with it yesterday, and without the day before and it's much improved WITH
You would hope thats how it works; otherwise a bit of a waste of £700 of my Welsh Pounds.
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So you are confirming what both Autocar and Whatcar have already said on the subject. Not so far off after all, are they?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So you are confirming what both Autocar and Whatcar have already said on the subject. Not so far off after all, are they?

HighlandPete
On suspension YES, I had no turbo whining or bad suspension problems even on some real S**T roads in norfolk
Some of these reviews do make me laugh.
      10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #39
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The car you drove without adaptive, was it an M Sport? Or just normal suspension? I would imagine if it was normal suspension, it wouldn't be as good.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

We need a sutcliffe 330d m-sport review.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
The car you drove without adaptive, was it an M Sport? Or just normal suspension? I would imagine if it was normal suspension, it wouldn't be as good.
M Sport STD suspension, then I tried M Sport touring with Adaptive.
      10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #42
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
M Sport STD suspension, then I tried M Sport touring with Adaptive.
Really? So you would say apart from the obvious comfort benefit, would you say the car handled better with adaptive compared to std M Sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #43
Hardrada
Rep

When I enquired of BMW whether it was worth getting the Adaptive I was advised that the M Sport standard suspension was tuned as a drivers car, and Adaptive was only really going to be needed for those wanting comfort. On that advice I went for standard M suspension. Drove an F31 M sport with Adaptive on Tuesday. Drive was awesome, but only really when in Sport suspension mode [or rather Standard Msport mode]. In comfort it was a bit too soft for me. That said we each have different tastes so each to their own.
Hoping my 330D F31 will be here on 15th October. It's showing as having departed the plant; was due last week, then this week, then next week, and now w/c 15th October. Bit peeved but not long now. To be honest the dealer is at the mercy of BMW Deutschland. They did say that it could be delivered at any time as they get deliveries 4 times a week! All limbs crossed.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #44
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Really? So you would say apart from the obvious comfort benefit, would you say the car handled better with adaptive compared to std M Sport suspension?
YES, I found on the STD suspension cornering was a bit soft and under hard braking was a bit "nose dive" not much but you could notice it, also the steering although good needed IMO tightening up, all these were addressed for me with the Adaptive, it made the drive for me. I would try before deciding personally.
PS) you can alter the steering feel and suspension without having to have "sport gear changes".
BUT you need to select sport mode with "Sport chassis" set-up, thats the down side.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 10-06-2012 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0