F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Update double edge sword...
Extreme Powerhouse

04-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #1
parksy85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i coupe

iDrive Update double edge sword...

little background: purchased a CPO 2014 428i coupe very recently... sifting through mods/tsbs/updates etc...

I have an issue with center console USB either glitching and toggling charging/not charging (rapid connect disconnecting). Sometimes I can get it to work, and use connecteddrive/ spotify for music. But since this is so glitchy i resorted to bluetooth.

Bluetooth occasionally doesnt connect properly but easily remedied by toggled BT off/ on in the idrive menu. Although track title and album art remains stuck on whatever the first song played it... it works just fine to include steering controls.

So I figured oo an update! UDP 05073 (the one that pops up when i search the last 7 of my vin on BMW's site. Previous version is "MN 002 033 002"

POST idrive update.
1. bluetooth, again works / album art and title still remain frozen. But i can no longer use steering wheel controls and seems to try to process something but hangs. Controls for next song / previous still work with the idrive dial and of course on the phone. so.. bluetooth got worse. (attached a picture of what happens when i scroll the wheel one soft click up then hard click it.)

2. center console usb still intermittent and cuts of songs when it "disconnects" but album art / title shows correctly and steering controls work. However I cannot make calls through the usb connection... so i have to turn bluetooth on either way though it seems to sort the connection out.

observations... the USB connection is finicky and especially if it is moved even the TINIEST bit. I know on most computers you can put a USB stick in and jiggle it around and as long as you dont pull it out nothing happens. Or with phone chargers...

Assuming I can get the dealership to fix/replace the USB console would it be a fix or would they just replace with the same piece/model ? and... does anyone else have similar issues regarding Bluetooth and steering controls?

I've search the forum with 4-6 different phrases like: idrive update issues, bluetooth issues, steering wheel controls and bluetooth etc... but didn't find anything definitive.

its a big downer on such a nice car... my isimple addon for a (previous car) 2006 TL maintained all oem functionality was rock solid for USB and bluetooth... as it stands now... ill probably roll back to previous idrive version and go with working bluetooth + controls but frozen song titles...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 03:21 AM   #2
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

The USB problem, rapid connecting disconnecting, is a common problem for F30.
I have it, my friends have it, their friends have it. I know no less than 15 cars have it.
I'm lucky that it happens every 7 days or so LOL. My solution is: when it happens, you plug the usb cable all the way in the usb port, then unplug it just a little, tiny bit until it stops its "thing".
Problem solved. Well, technically not, but it works. I complained to my SA and he always blames my USB cables. *sigh*
Sometimes this happens and it drives the iDrive crazy as iDrive doesn't know if it should play music from Bluetooth or USB -> drops both and says Not connected for both USB and bluetooth. When this happens, I can't play music from Bluetooth even if I unpair and re-pair my phone. If I unplug the USB and plug it back in, it says "reading" and then not connected LOL. It goes away after the iDrive reset, aka I turn the engine off, lock the car and turn it back on after a few hours.
BMW's tech is kinda good in most cases. But when it sucks, it sucks badly
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

FWIW, I've never had a disconnect problem using an iPhone 6 with the snap-in adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
parksy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

more searching has revealed a possible solution to the bluetooth idrive update/ frozen album art.

apparently there is an integration level or ISTEP or ISTA/P update out. My car is currently on NBT-Bxxxxx and i guess the version is up to like NBT-Ixxxxx

...probably wont change the finicky console USB (looks just like a poorly designed / lose connection port... i may try to open it up and maybe adjust the angle of the copper connections or something eventually) plus it seems to charge incredibly slow so my cigarette charger does much better.

but hopefully improve bluetooth performance... along with whatever ecu/engine/hardware things they have updated... which will leave me happy enough even with the crap USB console.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

USB connection problem, and related Aux problem

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on this USB connection issue, and a related Aux problem.

I have a 2015 320i CPO, and found the Aux port is very flaky. You lose the right channel unless the plug is jammed down hard. I'm going for service next week, will try to get them to warranty it.

It's definitely not my plugs or cables. I've tried FIVE different cable / plugs, it's a bad jack, I'm a Tech. I've also cleaned it several times, I have a special brush made to do that, and use Deoxit on ALL my contacts.

I'm pretty certain the car was a loaner or the previous owner had kids, there was a big stain from a spilled drink under the passengers seat in the rear. Got a good discount when they couldn't remove it, a Weather Tech mat hides it now... LOL!

I suspect the kids killed this Aux jack. The USB jack works fine, BUT I always clean them with Deoxit, and it makes a big difference.

As a Computer Tech, I fix peoples machines all day long. I always clean them up, vacuum out the dust, and clean the USB jacks on the front as a matter of course.

I use canned air first on the jack to remove the dust, then Deoxit. I have the right brush, but a trick I use in the field is to squeeze the head of a Qtip with needle nose pliers to flatten it and remove just a bit of the cotton. Put Deoxit on it and scrub carefully, get all 4 contacts. BE SURE NO COTTON REMAINS BEHIND! {Duh}. Don't use too much. DAMP not WET. The contacts should have a small film left, it's a Cleaner, Protector, and Lubricant.

As they say in Australian, that works the treat! Many "bad" USB ports have been fixed this way over the years. Sometime the contacts are just bad, physically damaged, but I'd say 75% of the time it's just dirt.

Deoxit it your best friend when it comes to contacts. All of my jacks and plugs are kept clean with it, Mobile, HT, everything that has a contact, it lasts a long time too. Has a small amount of lubricant to reduce wear as well. Use it in all my remotes, never have to smack one to get the connections working! Also helps keep corrosion off if the battery leaks. (BTW - Use white vinegar and a Q-tip to fix that, it neutralizes the alkaline crystals, then clean with water and re -Deoxit). I also do the Micro-USB in the cellphone, that one's tricky, but it gets so much use...

Ask any Roadie about it, they'll talk your ear off. When you're setting up a Concert for 30,000 people you don't need a bad contact "somewhere" in the miles of cables and connectors ten minutes before showtime. You'll be looking for a new gig, literally!

If I've help one person here, my job is done!

Peace Out,
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
parksy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cool! Ill try cleaning it

I got the Integration level update so bluetooth, and album art/song title display properly. Didnt do anything for the console USB.

The actually tried replacing it but that did nothing. We ultimately came to the conclusion that you have to use an APPLE cable. When I use an offbrand USB (which works perfectly fine for other cars / charging / computer etc it would maintain an unstable connection for the BMW connect thing. When using an Apple (the white cable the phone comes with) it holds a stable connection. Very odd :/

But now that bluetooth works I use that 99% of the time so not a huge deal anymoer... plus USB console charges slower than my socket charger
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by parksy85 View Post
Cool! Ill try cleaning it

I got the Integration level update so bluetooth, and album art/song title display properly. Didnt do anything for the console USB.

The actually tried replacing it but that did nothing. We ultimately came to the conclusion that you have to use an APPLE cable. When I use an offbrand USB (which works perfectly fine for other cars / charging / computer etc it would maintain an unstable connection for the BMW connect thing. When using an Apple (the white cable the phone comes with) it holds a stable connection. Very odd :/

But now that bluetooth works I use that 99% of the time so not a huge deal anymoer... plus USB console charges slower than my socket charger
Apple cable, eh? Figures. This stuff is so obvious in retrospect... LOL!

I just did the update on my 2015 320i F30, and it went well. I've upgraded my amp to the Bimmer-Tech PP82DSP, what an amazing difference!
But now I'm wrestling with getting really high quality audio to it, and found the standard Bluetooth is really muddy when back to back compared to wired.
My Wife and I listened together when I compared wired to BT, and she looked at me with her mouth open at the difference!

Now I'm chasing a replacement Bluetooth receiver to put in the trunk! (MORE $$!). This upgrade slope is slippery.

If you want to follow the thread, it's here:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post19950887

Later!
PuterPro
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
parksy85
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ooo I was thinking about doing the bavsound stage 1(speaker only upgrade)... and eventually do the AMP and replacement subs if i feel the desire... So you went straight to the amp upgrade?
Appreciate 0