F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Key Fob issue
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
Idjack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320d m sport

Key Fob issue

Hi guys I’m new on here, Hopefully you can help me out with a key fob issue I have!

Over the weekend I part exchanged my 2014 125d m sport for a 2015 white 320d m sport. I have a baby on the way and it seemed the sensible option. Really happy with the new car until I come across a problem yesturday.

I have 1 original key fob for comfort entry that work perfectly and one new which hasn’t been programmed, I got the car knowing I would buy a new key.

My partner got into the unlocked car yesturday and it started without any issue and she could drive away, this concerned me as I could never do that with the 125d unless the key was in the car and it was already started, the key was still in the house in a key box!

I parked the car on the drive and locked it with the fob. Returned the fob to the house. I used the key from the fob to unlock the car, the alarm went off but I pressed the start button which killed the alarm and started the car! As far as it is now, if someone broke into it they could drive away no problem without the need of a key/ fob.

Is this a common fault/ have any of you heard or experienced it?

Would be good to hear your thoughts!

Thanks jack
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It should not do that. Why did they give you only one fob? Was the second lost? I suspect if so it was lost in the car, where it still resides, allowing the car to be started.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It should not do that. Why did they give you only one fob? Was the second lost? I suspect if so it was lost in the car, where it still resides, allowing the car to be started.
That is a very good shout. Get somebody to take the working fob a few streets away and see if you can still get into the car and start it? On an aside isn’t this how cars with comfort access are being stolen? Fob still within range or they come armed with some sort of amplifier which helps to unlock and start the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thieves use RF repeaters to pick up the fob signal close to the house/office where it's sitting, transmitting a boosted signal to the car that convinces the car that the fob is nearby. All it takes to defeat that is to put the fob in a metal container, blocking RF transmission. The OP can do the same to see if the car opens and/or starts.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Gbtr6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Not completely familiar with these, but if a fob was still in the car somewhere, you shouldn't be able to lock it, I wouldn't think.

Perry
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

With standard access you can, with CA you can't under normal circumstances, but the presence of the second fob outside the car might allow it. I don't have CA so I can't confirm that.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Idjack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
That is a very good shout. Get somebody to take the working fob a few streets away and see if you can still get into the car and start it? On an aside isn’t this how cars with comfort access are being stolen? Fob still within range or they come armed with some sort of amplifier which helps to unlock and start the car.
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I’ve done that and I can still get in and start the car if I accidentally say left the window open or the car unlocked with no key in the area, it shouldn’t do that! My thought is that the key could be within the car somewhere. A bmw technician I spoke to today also confirmed this is what he suspects is the issue. I’ve had a good check to no avail 👎🏻

I’m currently outside taking the floor carpet up as the key would fall down the floor heating pipe work if pushed. Do you know of any places you have dropped your fob that’s out the way??

The previous owner lost a fob but wasn’t sure where so it could be in the car, if I can’t find it I will get it deactivated and that should sort it but I’d like to find it if possible!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I’d look down the sides of the seat and in the vents under the front seats. Also can the cup holders in your car come out, if they can then a look under them. I’d be looking under the front seats though, I dropped the lid of a usb flash drive down the side of my drivers seat and I looked almost immediately and to date I’ve not found the lid. It’s just sort of disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

It may be under the rear seat base, these just pull up to remove.
Also check under the thunk floor.
Appreciate 0