F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK question
Studio RSR

09-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
ravenorxs
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW '18 440i M-Perf. Edition

MPPSK question

Hi folks,

I've had my 2018 F36 for about a month now.

I had the MPPSK factory installed and usually around city driving I'll leave it in comfort and when I got on the highway I switch to Sport.

A few times when the highway gets backed up and it becomes stop and go, I find that if I keep the car in Sport mode, anytime I am moving slowly for small distances (say under 50 meters) the engine will rev/drone really loudly without switching gears.

I think the transmission thinks I'll be speeding up to 70-90km/hr shortly. Obviously this doesn't happen and I end up stopping again 20 meters down the road due to traffic.

Should I be manually using the right paddle shifter (+) to switch gears in these situations? I find that the engine droning stops when I do this.

Or should I just switch from Sport back to Comfort in these situations?

It sounds a bit embarrassing because while the engine note is loud, to me it sounds like the car is breaking because it just makes one long and loud continuous drone in a single gear (almost like a really loud CVT) as I move along slowly until I let off the gas or manually use the (+) paddle shifters to change gears.

Also not sure if driving slow/short distances in Sport mode is bad for the engine (and that I should be strictly using Comfort in slow stop/go traffic)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Not really sure how to answer your question... After all what you do is up to you

Actually your question has very little to do with MPPSK.

Fact is - In Sport mode (and S on the stick), the shifting points between the different gears are higher - say at 3200 RPM instead of 2500 (random numbers). This is exactly what you are experiencing - the car is not up-shifting until the (higher) shift-point is reached.

As you have pointed out - there are 2 ways to deal with this if you dislike it in a particular situation:
- Shift manually
- Go back to Comfort (and D).

There is nothing "bad for the engine" in keeping it in Sport, however your fuel-economy is going to suffer as you are using high RPMs just in order to stop again in a second. BMW gave us all those modes and combinations of modes, but they do require the driver to do the thinking and switching

P.s. I noticed in your profile you write "Drives: BMW 2018 440i MPE". Be aware that MPPSK and MPE are two very different and incompatible with each other products.
      09-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
ravenorxs
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW '18 440i M-Perf. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Not really sure how to answer your question... After all what you do is up to you

Fact is - In Sport mode (and S on the stick), the shifting points between the different gears are higher - say at 3200 RPM instead of 2500 (random numbers). This is exactly what you are experiencing - the car is not up-shifting until the (higher) shift-point is reached.

As you have pointed out - there are 2 ways to deal with this if you dislike it in a particular situation:
- Shift manually

There is nothing "bad for the engine" in keeping it in Sport, however your fuel-economy is going to suffer as you are using high RPMs just in order to stop again in a second. BMW gave us all those modes and combinations of modes, but they do require the driver to do the thinking and switching

P.s. I noticed in your profile you write "Drives: BMW 2018 440i MPE". Be aware that MPPSK and MPE are two very different and incompatible with each other products.
Thanks for the clarification on the exhaust questions! That makes sense. I guess I'll have to toggle between Sport/Comfort when encountering stop and go traffic.

And sorry, the MPE in my profile stands for M-Performance Edition, not M Performance Exhaust which I guess uses the same acronym.

The M Performance Edition was a limited Canada-only version that came with almost all the factory installable mods as base (20" 405m wheels, front lip, side skirt, side decal, rear diffuser, rear spoiler, M Adaptive suspension, Merino leather interior and ofc the aforementioned MPPSK).

I will update my profile to clarify the type haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Learned something new as well (MPE alternative definition )
      09-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

- Shift manually

A mode is more like sport plus LCI but trans only. Sport mode shifts earlier than that but later than comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 03:11 AM   #6
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

MPPSK gives you also the new exhaust and an ECU remapping
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #7
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

In my opinion, the sport mode isn't really suitable in stop and go traffic. This isn't a problem with the MPPSK setup but the sport mode itself that is programmed for spirited driving and higher RPMS. The MPPSK definitely amplifies the issue here because its much louder.

I personally keep my car in comfort in traffic and sometimes even - Dare I say - put it in eco mode

Also, the Active Sound Control (engine noise coming through speakers) tends to amplify the drone inside the cabin, if you have not disabled that then look into coding this out. This will make the inside noise cabin more natural with less Drone in these situations
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
BradNC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i xDrive

xHP trans tune will eliminate the gear hang you're talking about. You don't have to run it aggressively. It has a lot of other nice features even for people who aren't trying to be extreme. I've found myself playing with the shiftpoints a lot to get it just how I like it with my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:21 AM   #9
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Also, the Active Sound Control (engine noise coming through speakers) tends to amplify the drone inside the cabin, if you have not disabled that then look into coding this out. This will make the inside noise cabin more natural with less Drone in these situations
Is that just the engine noise which goes through the speakers or the exhaust noise gets amplified too?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:54 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Neither.

It is actually called Active Sound Design and it is a system which plays artificial engine sound through the speakers. It does not amplify any of the existing (real) sounds, it plays predefined recordings of more sporty engine sounds, synced with the vehicle RPM.
And it is the first thing I changed in my car by disabling it... I find it absolutely horrible and just cheap.
      02-16-2023, 02:54 AM   #11
Pklimenko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

Anyone in Seattle/oregon/ idaho area have a mppsk for sale? Looking to purchase second hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 05:34 PM   #12
s4to340xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Go to sport mode to open the flaps then disable traction, it'll go back to comfort mode but keep the flap open. Plus disable ASD, the cabin instantly becomes more quiet
Appreciate 0