F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Need some help for understanding the warranty on struts.
proTUNING Freaks

05-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
KG_F30
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F-30 M-Sprt AlpWhite

Question Need some help for understanding the warranty on struts.

So I have a 2018 340 x drive, had Dinan lowering springs installed. The car has close to 20, 000 miles. I was getting some rattling noise, gave the car for regular service and wanted to get it checked, the service guy at the BMW service center called me and said the struts need to be changed as they are the ones making the noise and they are not covered under the warranty because of the lowering springs.

So wanted to ask if anyone else had a similar issue, and should it be covered under the warranty or not?
I thought Dinan was an approved manufacturer and the warranty doesn't get voided with their parts.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You!

Last edited by KG_F30; 05-02-2019 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: added more information
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

if bmw would have covered the struts as part of its new car warranty (not sure on that point), they definitely won't cover them now because the lowering springs can be blamed for blowing your stock shocks.

as far as warranties go, it's not the bmw warranty that covers things if a dinan part causes an issue, it's the dinan warranty. it might be worth calling dinan to figure out if dinan will cover new struts, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
KG_F307.00
      05-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Contact Dinan as Dinan matches BMW new car warranty for any BMW parts it may affect

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
KG_F307.00
      05-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
KG_F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkles View Post
if bmw would have covered the struts as part of its new car warranty (not sure on that point), they definitely won't cover them now because the lowering springs can be blamed for blowing your stock shocks.

as far as warranties go, it's not the bmw warranty that covers things if a dinan part causes an issue, it's the dinan warranty. it might be worth calling dinan to figure out if dinan will cover new struts, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
Thanks a lot, did contact the dinan dealer I got the springs from, will have him check and work with Dinan to see if the can do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
KG_F30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Contact Dinan as Dinan matches BMW new car warranty for any BMW parts it may affect
Sounds good, will contact Dinan. Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
EggoEspada
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i '18

Is the strut covered under the warranty in the first place? I have a similar issue with no aftermarket parts. But the exact issue is it’s purportedly bent, so it may be different from your situation. 🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #7
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

OK silly idea BUT... assuming you ONLY had 20k miles on your stock struts/shocks when you had them installed... AND you put maybe 20k miles on the car... that STILL isn't enough miles to blow out a stock shock normally.

If you heard a rattling noise within the first few thousand miles... I suggest checking the installation job.

Why? I had Hotchkis springs on my BRZ by a reputable BMW shop and they discover that one of the stock struts was blown. The shop that did the spring install (ASE certified shop) documented it. I had Subaru replace the strut under warranty. BUT as I was driving away from the dealership, the car was rattling - BAD.

The Subaru tech claimed it was because of the springs.

I got home, took a half day off work and checked ALL the bolts and nuts. And guess what. The top strut nut was NOT torqued down. It was loose. I got out my torque wrench and put it to the 14.5lb spec. And... no more rattle. (And a *nice* email to Subaru was sent.)

Before you go down the hellhole that is warranty service... bring the car back to the installer. Rattles are usually pretty easy fixes.

BTW A blown front strut/shock is pretty obvious, the car will corner like crap on the offending side.
Appreciate 0