F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Stage 1 91 octane / acceleration improvements (GPS) / stock 435i xDrive
GetBMWParts

01-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #1
gustavs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i (2015)

Bootmod3 Stage 1 91 octane / acceleration improvements (GPS) / stock 435i xDrive

Hi all,

I recently purchased a bootmod3 license for my car, a fully stock 435i xDrive (2015) with 63000 km on the odo. In the process of choosing which tune to get I read a lot about the JB4, bootmod3 and a few other options, and decided to try out the bootmod3 as it seemed the easiest. However, in my search it appeared to me that it was difficult to find improvements for stage 1 tunes (dyno or acceleration figures) as most posts seem related to stage 2 tuning. So I purchased the license and made my own little before and after test with a Dragy GPS logger that I would like to share with you for good karma.

Car and conditions: The car is fully stock with pretty much every (weight increasing) option available. It was about 0 Celsius outside and we were a driver and a passenger in the car - combined about 180 kg. Tank was a quarter full with 91 octane (95 RON). I had winter tires on, but the xDrive removes pretty much any wheel spin even from standstill, so this is probably negligible.

I did two runs before tuning, and two runs after tuning.

Fully stock
0-100 km/h: 5.81s (without launch control)
0-100 km/h: 5.49s (with launch control)

Above figures pretty much align with what I would expect compared to some of my previous runs when I was alone in the car.

Bootmod3 stage 1 91 octane tune
0-100 km/h: 4.98s (without launch control)
0-100 km/h: 4.78s (with launch control)

Again, all numbers are GPS, and I have included screenshots from the Dragy app by the end of my post.

I am seriously amazed with the improvements from this absurdly quick-to-install and easy tune. The car also pulls fantastically. I will probably not do further tuning on this car, but I am seriously considering that the next car I get should be an M4 just because of the bootmod3 tune availability.

Hope this post and data help the next person who wonders how much performance is gained from tuning a stock car.

Best regards
Gustav

Screendumps
https://ibb.co/SmC1Ts6
https://ibb.co/RTG8W9p
https://ibb.co/XjkRdTT
https://ibb.co/Mksgkkh

Last edited by gustavs; 01-05-2020 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Missing links to dragy screen dumps
Appreciate 2
jyerelek105.50
johnung4525.00
      01-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Thanks for sharing! I've only tried the Stage 1 91 octane BM3 tune on my car too, and it definitely felt like it went from a mid 14 second car to a low to mid 13 second car with just the tune. These numbers seem to support my butt dyno estimates.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
jyerelek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Hahaha I was literally gonna install bm3 stage 1 next week on my 435i. Finally someone posts about stage 1. Also, do you have a charge pipe? That's what I'm currently waiting for.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
indyjoeshmo
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyerelek View Post
Hahaha I was literally gonna install bm3 stage 1 next week on my 435i. Finally someone posts about stage 1. Also, do you have a charge pipe? That's what I'm currently waiting for.
I just installed the ER chargepipe today. One suggestion is to connect the lower charge pipe to the intercooler before you connect the upper pipe to the throttle body. It is hard to get a lot of movement once both pieces are in the hump hose even with both t-bolt clamps loose.
Appreciate 1
jyerelek105.50
      01-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #5
gustavs
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyerelek View Post
Charge pipe is stock.

Do you think it is necessary to change the charge pipe even when running standard turbos?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavs View Post
Charge pipe is stock.

Do you think it is necessary to change the charge pipe even when running standard turbos?
Absolutely!

My charge pipe failed on me while I was completely stock with 30k miles.
      01-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
gustavs
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Absolutely!

My charge pipe failed on me while I was completely stock with 30k miles.
. I better look into it then.

Which charge pipe would you recommend (that ships to EU)?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavs View Post
. I better look into it then.

Which charge pipe would you recommend (that ships to EU)?
Stock charge pipe is a ticking time bomb with any tune. Usually it blows after the first pull once you tune and run higher boost. I would definitely inspect it and possibly take it easy for now if this car is your daily.

I believe most companies will do international shipping, probably for an extra fee. There are numerous options... VRSF, ER are probably the most widely used. FTP is the ebay/amazon option that is probably the cheapest, especially for international shipping. Some people run it with success. I would just look into what other mods you plan to do (i.e., intercooler) and probably just get the IC and CP at the same time, since you will already have the IC off to install the CP. Some vendors offer combo deals.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
btetier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Stock charge pipe is a ticking time bomb with any tune. Usually it blows after the first pull once you tune and run higher boost. I would definitely inspect it and possibly take it easy for now if this car is your daily.

I believe most companies will do international shipping, probably for an extra fee. There are numerous options... VRSF, ER are probably the most widely used. FTP is the ebay/amazon option that is probably the cheapest, especially for international shipping. Some people run it with success. I would just look into what other mods you plan to do (i.e., intercooler) and probably just get the IC and CP at the same time, since you will already have the IC off to install the CP. Some vendors offer combo deals.
Although i do agree with you that he should just get the IC and CP combo; during the installation of the CP, he doesnt need to remove the IC. It can be done very easily without removing the IC, so if he just wants to stay stage 1 then he would be fine with just purchasing a CP.
Appreciate 0